You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Blind item on crazydaysandnights.net

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

They could, quite possibly, just say "hey, I got thirty songs, let's re-record them with a rawer sound."

I'd believe this.

There's 100 song ideas in the vault - so it's not inconceivable they get the top 20 or 30 that work in the old band style - then add in a couple of new riffs from soundcheck...and work it up into a 12 song album that melody wise is CD2 inspired but guitar and arrangement wise has a more classic GNR feel.

They will want to capture the current chemistry but it also doesn't make sense to discard 90% of your working life's work either.

That's pretty much what I'm expecting too. Use the song structures but re-record to make the most of that live chemistry (and to remove the "over-produced" accusations levelled at Chinese Democracy). Of course, even given that, there's nothing stopping them from using the vintage Axl vocals.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I sort of hope they do use vintage Axl vocals.

The vocals of CD are huge - like the TWAT and IRS screams.

Then the leak of the redone TIL had amazing raspy vocals.

I'd take those voices over the voice he had going on in the 2017 GNR shows. IT was noticeable how the voice changed between 2016 and 2017 legs.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

I sort of hope they do use vintage Axl vocals.

The vocals of CD are huge - like the TWAT and IRS screams.

Then the leak of the redone TIL had amazing raspy vocals.

I'd take those voices over the voice he had going on in the 2017 GNR shows. IT was noticeable how the voice changed between 2016 and 2017 legs.

TBH Axl's voice is the thing I'm least concerned about. In-studio they can do an endless number of retakes, he can warm up, rehearse and practice to get the best sound for the song. He's doing, what, one song a day? As opposed to having to belt out the entire catalogue in a three-hour show.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Although the length of sessions in a day might end up longer than 3 hours.

I remember with the Black Album the recording schedule fucked up James' voice pretty bad.

I guess my issue is Axl's voice is the unknown. Like as a person who likes both old GNR and Chinese I have no doubt Axl can write a song I will enjoy. As a person who likes all the Slash side project I have no doubt that Slash can play amazing riffs and solos.

So to me that the songs will be cool and that slash will shred are givens for the situation - the thing that seems more risky is which voice will Axl choose to use on the record, and what shape is it in at the moment. That seems the most likely thing to change to me.

Board footer