You are not logged in. Please register or login.

auad
 Rep: 3 

Re: Adler: Drug Stories & Playing with GNR

auad wrote:

johndivney wrote:

Was Stevens birthday yesterday?
Fair fucks to him having survived. There’s hope for us all..

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

He looks pretty bad in this. Not that he's currently using, just that his age & past has caught up to him. Also his answers just bounce all over the place. WTF is up with his story at the 4:10 mark, anyone heard that before?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I really feel for this guy. I can relate to all the drug fuck ups and wasted opportunities.

I don't blame them at all for ditching him. You cant rely on someone like him for such a monster tour that goes in cycles.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The real issue with Steven is whether they should have ditched him before UYI.

I wonder with proper rehab for a period then - and maybe Slash and Duff could have done with some too. If things would have been different.

Like the guy stayed a junkie for decades after, but it wouldn't have helped watching UYI happen without you when it's your childhood mate in the band.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The real issue with Steven is whether they should have ditched him before UYI.

I wonder with proper rehab for a period then - and maybe Slash and Duff could have done with some too. If things would have been different.

I think they did all they could, and extended as many chances as they could. They were 25 themselves & in no position to help keep an addict clean. Figure if members of bands like Motley Crue et al of that era could manage to keep a band together, things had to be really outta control for anyone to get kicked out.

The fact he did very little afterwards is pretty telling. Granted, the music scene changed & his style especially was uniquely simplistic, but all he seemed to accomplish afterwards was encounter a monstrous drug habit AFAIK.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

The fact he did very little afterwards is pretty telling. Granted, the music scene changed & his style especially was uniquely simplistic, but all he seemed to accomplish afterwards was encounter a monstrous drug habit AFAIK.

Yeah but I see this as a bit of a chicken-egg thing.

Like you take a guy who is hooked on drugs, then take away from him an achievement most could only dream of and would be nearly impossible to replicate, so he falls further into a slump and takes decades to quit the habit. Then the fact that he stayed in a slump is used to justify talking his life away from him. But would it have gone that way if things were different?

I feel the same about Y2k. They use it as a joke now how we all prepared for it and then nothing happened, but did nothing happen because of the preparations?

johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Yeah but I see this as a bit of a chicken-egg thing.

Like you take a guy who is hooked on drugs, then take away from him an achievement most could only dream of and would be nearly impossible to replicate, so he falls further into a slump and takes decades to quit the habit. Then the fact that he stayed in a slump is used to justify talking his life away from him. But would it have gone that way if things were different?

I feel the same about Y2k. They use it as a joke now how we all prepared for it and then nothing happened, but did nothing happen because of the preparations?

Re: y2k thing, wtf? Thats random.

Re: Popcorn, I think there’s truth in both pasnow & monkeys ideas. Either way of slicing it, no matter how hard the others did or didn’t try to help him, his loss was insurmountable to GnR. He was the heir to Bonzo & Moon, & the last of his kind.
In an alternate universe Axl & co are aware enough to the value of Steven. It’s too late for us unfortunately, Axl was too narrow minded, & Slash too high & spineless, to rescue him & the only/real GnR.

Board footer