You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: US Politics Thread

PaSnow wrote:

and for the record, I have other & more thoughts about 'do something' but just curious about ar15s

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Hearing Rubio speak now, he's going soft. He's not gonna fight the NRA.

He's blowing his chance on a national level/Presidency imho.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

PaSnow wrote:

Just checking, not arguing with you, but was the AR15 part of 1994s assault weapons ban?

I mean that in 2 phases, one, they weren't a problem until around Aurora/Batman shooting which was 2007/2008ish (Ban ended in 2004).  But also, it does kinda prove the 2nd ammendment limitations or limits have limits.

The only thing the AWB did was remove the flash suppressor and make them harder to convert to full auto. My father bought a couple AR-15s from that era and they use the same magazines as guns made before and after.

The AWB required cosmetic changes only. I put a bump stock on an ar-15 from that era.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I rattled off a list of things that could be done that don't infringe on any 2nd amendment rights after the Las Vegas shooting. Probably 500 pages ago now?

Randall Flagg

bigbri wrote:

I rattled off a list of things that could be done that don't infringe on any 2nd amendment rights after the Las Vegas shooting. Probably 500 pages ago now?

[/embed]

Find this hard to believe with his last name being Cruz and having obvious Hispanic features.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

What obvious Hispanic features? The kid was adopted by parents with Hispanic names.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

A maddening story ^^^

Nikolas Cruz, Who Was Too Disturbed to Carry a Backpack, Legally Bought AR-15

Everyone knew Nikolas Cruz was deeply disturbed. He'd been in and out of mental health treatment. He'd been kicked out of school. His Instagram page was full of photos of dead animals and weapons. He was so frightening to teachers that he'd been banned from even carrying a backpack into school.

So how does a guy like that get his hands on a military-style weapon capable of pumping dozens of rounds into innocent victims without even reloading? Well, this is Florida, so he just walks into a gun shop and buys one.

Jim Lewis, an attorney for Cruz's family, tells reporters this morning that the 19-year-old had legally purchased the weapon of mass destruction that killed 17 people yesterday at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

“It was his gun,” family lawyer Jim Lewis said. “The family made him keep it in a locked gun cabinet in the house, but he had a key.”

Because this is America and NRA-funded stooges such as Marco Rubio and Donald Trump run the country, nothing will change after yesterday's massacre. But if we lived in a sane nation, the details emerging about Cruz would inspire a strong debate about how to tighten access to weapons for the mentally ill — not to mention a realistic move to renew the ban on assault rifles like the AR-15 and on high-capacity magazines.

Cruz had been scaring classmates and teachers for years.

"The kid that shot used to break the toilets and bathrooms and was crazy," writes one Reddit user who says Cruz was a classmate. "I remember two years ago he broke a rooms glass."

Cruz — who was adopted by a New York couple that later moved to Broward — was a member of the U.S. Army Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (JROTC) at Stoneman Douglas High, where he freaked out his classmates by shooting rats. He “was into some weird stuff,” classmate Joshua Charo told the Miami Herald.

It's not clear exactly why Cruz was booted from school, but classmates say it was for fighting and bringing bullets and knives to school. A teacher said the faculty had been warned not to let him on campus with a backpack.

And a quick search through his since-deleted Instagram accounts shows they were right to worry. Cruz posed with animals he had killed.

He also posted numerous photos of himself wearing face masks as well as piles of weapons:

shooting-nikolas-cruz-credit-photos-via-instagram.jpg

Again, this was not a teenager secretly stewing and tricking everyone into thinking he was not a violent threat. Cruz made it abundantly clear that he wanted to harm people and that he was obsessed with getting the weapons to do so.

Yet nothing in Florida's gun laws — which have been loosened by decades of NRA-funded Republican control to the point they barely exist — would prevent him not only from buying guns but also from buying the most deadly military-style weapons available on the market.

Gov. Rick Scott's avowed position on preventing mass shootings is to pray about them. Sen. Marco Rubio is a gun-lobby gremlin. Attorney General Pam Bondi will promise to pay for funerals but not to stop killings. And President Donald Trump revoked an executive order mandating tighter background checks for the mentally ill before they can buy weapons.

So Nikolas Cruz, who was not allowed to carry a backpack to class, could legally walk into any gun shop in Florida and walk out with the firepower to do what everyone at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High had feared for years that he might do.

Randall Flagg

bigbri wrote:

What obvious Hispanic features? The kid was adopted by parents with Hispanic names.

[/embed]

He looks hispanic to me, but I admittedly haven't been giving this the attention you have.  Do we know who his parents were?  I don't want to get into a race thread, but his skin color looks yellowish/brownish to me.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I heard this mother died not long ago (I don't think days, but months or a year or two). I believe it was his adopted mother. She smoked & died of cancer & supposedly had a vendetta against cigarette companies & Big business/corporate America in general. I heard this on TV last night at least, but could be heresay they picked up from students or something.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
slcpunk wrote:

So Nikolas Cruz, who was not allowed to carry a backpack to class, could legally walk into any gun shop in Florida and walk out with the firepower to do what everyone at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High had feared for years that he might do.

Yep, land of the free and all that eh?

Makes one wonder which countries truly are the "shitholes".

Prayers and thoughts are with the families.

Board footer