You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: US Politics Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:

I am saying their lack of activity is just as bad almost might as well have been involved.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
misterID wrote:

It gets worse....

A total of four Broward County Sheriff’s deputies failed to enter Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., during last week’s mass shooting, according to a new report. […]

…Peterson wasn’t the only one — three other Broward County Sheriff’s deputies also remained outside the school with their pistols drawn as they took cover behind their vehicles, CNN reports.

It appears that they didn’t enter the school even when police officers arrived later to the crime scene.

Additionally, the Coral Springs police officers who arrived at the school later were frustrated and surprised that the sheriff’s deputies did not accompany them as they entered the school, sources told CNN.

The Sheriff needs to stay the fuck off TV and needs to get his departments shit together, because his leadership sucks.

But surely armed teachers would've done a better job than these so-called trained professionals, right?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Can we stop the nonsense of arming every teacher, which no one is suggesting? Texas teachers are already allowed to carry weapons. I would think if I had those kids piled up in my classroom and my only choice was to throw myself in the path of a gun, absorb the bullets to try and let the kids jump out a window, my chances would be better if I was trapped in that classroom and was armed. Defending yourself is different than actively looking to confront the shooter.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

A dude with a pistol is going to have a hard time taking down a dude with an AR-15. Let’s be honest. Big advantages for the bad guy.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Ar-15 vs human body.
Ar-15 vs handgun.

I'll take my chances with B.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Ar-15 vs human body.
Ar-15 vs handgun.

I agree. But am AR is very accurate from a great distance. A pistol behind 25’ is a crap shoot. A shotgun would be great if there was nobody else between you and the gunman. But with kids running all over it could be a big mess. So in the end the pistol would be best for ability to conceal and size etc.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Ar-15 vs human body.
Ar-15 vs handgun.

I agree. But am AR is very accurate from a great distance. A pistol behind 25’ is a crap shoot. A shotgun would be great if there was nobody else between you and the gunman. But with kids running all over it could be a big mess. So in the end the pistol would be best for ability to conceal and size etc.

You're completely missing what I'm saying. You're trapped in a classroom, he enters, close quarters, you'd have the advantage.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Ar-15 vs human body.
Ar-15 vs handgun.

You're completely missing what I'm saying. You're trapped in a classroom, he enters, close quarters, you'd have the advantage.

Not to mention the advantage by numbers. 30 people in a room makes it hard to focus on one person.

After all this, anyone who would prefer to die unarmed “because I just calculated odds out of my ass” I don’t have time for. Guns aren’t going away. There’s 300 million out there. Bad people are going to do bad things. You can pray, hope or post on Twitter, or you can mitigate the risk by having a weapon too.

I have a concealed carry license. Only time I carry is when I go to big public events, like opening night of last Jedi. I’d rather have a chance in the incredibly unlikely event something happens than have people attend a funeral and talk about gun violence and how tragic it all was. 

There’s no reason other than fear to deny trained teachers the entirely optional and private choice to defend themselves and their students. I don’t like using isolated events, because every other mass shooter was stopped by armed police. We unfortunately had a group of cowards in this event. But relying on the state to protect you is a fools errand.

I’m still waiting for all the informed opinions in here to look up the statistics at how many lives are saved each year from a firearm. But I know why they haven’t linked that article if they’ve bothered to even research it.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Board footer