You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

Re: "Oh My God" on End of Days (Clean version) CD - different?

ClaudeF wrote:

I have the "Parental Advisory" version of the End of Days soundtrack and am curious how the "Clean version" of the CD deals with the f-bomb in "Oh My God." Is there a bleeping sound? a dropout of the vocal? I can't imagine Axl recorded an alternate lyric so there must be something in that spot to cover it up. Or did it slip past the censors?

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

I have the "Parental Advisory" version of the End of Days soundtrack and am curious how the "Clean version" of the CD deals with the f-bomb in "Oh My God." Is there a bleeping sound? a dropout of the vocal? I can't imagine Axl recorded an alternate lyric so there must be something in that spot to cover it up. Or did it slip past the censors?

anything cool in the booklet of the cd?

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

Not really. It's funny, in recent years I've gotten the impression that GNR's management and/or label thought the song would be much more popular. If they wanted it to be a bigger hit, they should have produced a video - MTV still played them in those days. They also should have issued it as a single. Instead, it seemed to get buried - unfairly, but still buried.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

He also promoted it on MTV a bit with that call in interview. Pretty sure its when we first heard of Chinese Democracy. MTV was also promoting Live Era at the time. It was definitely a missed opportunity.

I do agree that the GNR camp was expecting a lot more out of this song.

auad
 Rep: 3 

auad wrote:

a difficult thing to understand ...
why an artist releases a song, and does not work to promote it, does not dedicate himself to what he created?
Is it because you do not believe enough in what you did?

I really like "OMG", but from what I understand, not even its creator does not appreciate it so much.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

Not really. It's funny, in recent years I've gotten the impression that GNR's management and/or label thought the song would be much more popular. If they wanted it to be a bigger hit, they should have produced a video - MTV still played them in those days. They also should have issued it as a single. Instead, it seemed to get buried - unfairly, but still buried.

the complete absence of music videos is one of the most baffling things about the whole chinese democracy saga. axl was already overwhelmed just by trying to get the right sounds on the record -- i'd bet he never even thought about a music video until the last second (or at all). the "better" video would suggest that. they didn't have a shred of creativity or inspiration with that one. i wonder if axl was just too self-conscious at the time for anything related to visuals. he looked weird as hell, and the band was basically a confused group of trick-or-treaters.

it's especially crazy considering how big a role music videos played back in the day for guns. you could argue that they would have never blow up without the original videos for appetite. will "since i don't have you" really go down as the last official video in guns history?

let's hope not.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

dalethirsty wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

the complete absence of music videos is one of the most baffling things about the whole chinese democracy saga. axl was already overwhelmed just by trying to get the right sounds on the record -- i'd bet he never even thought about a music video until the last second (or at all). the "better" video would suggest that. they didn't have a shred of creativity or inspiration with that one. i wonder if axl was just too self-conscious at the time for anything related to visuals. he looked weird as hell, and the band was basically a confused group of trick-or-treaters.

it's especially crazy considering how big a role music videos played back in the day for guns. you could argue that they would have never blow up without the original videos for appetite. will "since i don't have you" really go down as the last official video in guns history?

let's hope not.

I think the biggest problem with the Better video was that it was designed to introduce the public to the new band – a fairly reasonable aim in itself, and I'm sure Axl did it from the best of motives. He wanted to honour everyone's contribution and make it clear that this was a band, not "Axl and his Funny Friends". But by the time they got around to making it, Buckethead had left and Bumblefoot had joined. Then Robin quit and DJ joined and GN'R was faced with the choice of 1) re-editing the video to include DJ, so it was introducing five new guitarists, two of whom weren't in the band or 2) release the video as is, without the newest member of the band featuring in it. Neither was particularly palatable; both would've reinforced the image of the band as a revolving door of cast members, and would've invited snide comments about how many guitarists it takes to replace Slash. So they quietly forgot about it.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
auad wrote:

a difficult thing to understand ...
why an artist releases a song, and does not work to promote it, does not dedicate himself to what he created?

Sean Beavan, producer of OMG, said it was Interscope head Jimmy Iovine, who came in, listened to some tracks and pitched the idea including OMG on the soundtrack. It was fairly typical record company behavior; the film was coming out and they always want to promote their in-house artists somehow. Sympathy played into Interview with a Vampire the same way. There was a slot on the soundtrack that the record company felt was good for Guns and they offered it.

Board footer