You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Dissecting Chinese Democracy: Track 6 - There Was A Time

esoterica wrote:

I don't have much to add here although the random samples seem to me recall Axl's past/childhood.

It sounds like a church choir, dramatic drums, a child's mobile before he tells about his glory days in California.

The tone of the solo reminds me of:

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I still say this song deserved to close the album. That outro is just killer and a great way to end things on a high note.

I listened to it just now. First time in ages. Takes me back to 2006. Hard to believe its been 12 years.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

Takes me back to 2006. Hard to believe its been 12 years.

kermit the Trump wrote:

Hard to believe its been 12 years.

kermit the Trump wrote:

12 years.

Fuck.

Fuck.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkk.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I've said in like 200000 posts...but I think this song is Axl's greatest vocal performance. The screams in the middle are just incredible...so hard to sing and add so much emotion and passion musically to the song.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

Yeah, the "I would do anything for you" line and "There was a tiiiiiime" scream in the Bucket addendum is pretty incredible.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

i honestly think that there was a time and locomotive are the 2 most impressive songs in the band's entire catalog.

i remember hearing the first leaks and being completely blown away. when the version with the extended bucket solo dropped, i was convinced that chinese democracy was going to be the greatest album of all time. i played that song for anyone who would listen. it was burned to a cd with the other leaks and i'd carry it around and throw it in people's cd players when we drove somewhere together. i had my cousin print out the guitar tabs that some dude put together  so i could try and learn the solos.

by the way, wasn't axl rumored to have written the first solo in the song? the simple, melodic one with the bends, slides and hammer-ons. i know he actually plays acoustic guitar later in the song.

i love how that solo contrasts with bucket's later in the song. they are on completely opposite end's of the spectrum, but compliment each other very nicely, imo.

bucket's solo on that song is one of his absolute best, damn near the best solo of his entire career.

it's easily up there with nottingham lace, soothsayer and that one time he randomly lost his mind during a performance of whitewash:

Board footer