You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: US Politics Thread

bigbri wrote:

John Kelly fired in ....

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/973578359774023680

C'mon, we know Trump knows how to fire people on reality TV, but he can't do it to their face in real life?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Heard the tail end of his (Tillersons) Exit interview press conference. He didn't sound good, almost seemed upset or saddened over the hastily discovered release. Kindof a read-between-the-lines-this-Trumps-a-Dbag tone.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Tillerson calls out Russia = 86d. It's as plain as day.

The House committee "investigating" Russia just wrapped up and said they couldn't find anything. Jesus Christ...what an abomination. Thank god we have a special prosecutor. The GOP is totally complicit here covering Trump's behind.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Their disagreements have been months in the making, but NK seems to be most likely.

Still, I find this poisoning in the UK stunning. A Soviet-developed nerve agent was used in a public space, sending 21 to the hospital and exposing dozens of others.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr … 46566.html

"Britain gave President Vladimir Putin until midnight on Tuesday to explain how a nerve agent developed by the Soviet Union was used to strike down a former Russian double agent who passed secrets to British intelligence."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit … SKCN1GP0PG

What can they do?  Roughly 20% of their oil and 30% of the UK’s coal comes from Russia.

Sanctions are great, but the EU collectively don’t do anything. The Iran deal was never a real threat because the EU is dependent on them for energy. Same with Russia.

I agree, this behavior is unacceptable. But what is a realistic solution?

I think I'm more in awe of how brazen this was, even for Russia. I don't know what the UK could do on their own. But it seems like Russia is still all-in on this Cold War stuff and we have Trump giving Putin BJs.

Our options:

1. Some economic sanctions (yawn)
2. Seize assets in UK belonging to Russian oligarchs. A high profile and highly public one would be Chelsea Football Club, owned by long time Putin friend Roman Abrahmovic (fun)
3. Take RT off the air
4. Deport all Russian diplomats (dangerous move, would be severing a lot of communication with Russia)
5. Deport any Russian citizens currently domiciled in the UK (kind of unfair and not sure what it would accomplish
6. Boycott the World Cup (being held in Russia) in the Summer
6.2. Organise a boycott that includes Germany & France. If we could get Portugal the tournament will be dead as it would not feature Cristiano Ronaldo and FIFA could be tempted to move it.
7. We publicly send troops in to Ukraine to fight the separatists who totally 100% aren't Russian even though they speak Russian, wear Russian military uniform and use Russian equipment. (the ballsiest and least likely move)

These are some of the things we could do. I dont have much faith in our government though so i expect very little.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Rex's wife made him take the job. He was the only one in the meeting for an all hail Trump ass licking session who seemed to be in pains to be there. It was a humiliating situation and I'm sure he's glad its over.

I totally believe he called Trump an idiot, and so does Trump.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

No matter who wins, they only serve until November. Still, to have a Democrat leading with only absentee ballots to go is an incredible turnaround from election night 2016, when Trump walked all over Hillary in this district.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
bigbri wrote:

No matter who wins, they only serve until November. Still, to have a Democrat leading with only absentee ballots to go is an incredible turnaround from election night 2016, when Trump walked all over Hillary in this district.

The later is exactly why this matters. Trump won this heavily gerrymandered district by 20. Now, just over a year later, it appears the Dem takes a solid red district for 500 votes.

This matters. Even with gerrymandering, they still couldn't win this district.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Union guys voted for Trump, the Republican is a right to work candidate. Also, Lamb isn't liberal. That matters.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Union guys voted for Trump, the Republican is a right to work candidate. Also, Lamb isn't liberal. That matters.

Still should have been a shoe in for the Republican.

Board footer