You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: New Slash solo album with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators incoming

Smoking Guns wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Honestly don't give a shit at this point, lol. Just give us some Axl studio vocals again. I don't care if it's with Angus or Slash or Sebastian or whoever.

Hmmmm, wouldn’t you prefer it be with his actual band with Slash’s legendary guitar playing?  Angus and Axl can fvck off. I used to love Angus but this whole thing has really pissed me off. How they force Brian out. There are no original guys left. Angus is far from his prime (unlike Slash). Axl sounds amazing with AC/DC probably cause he tries harder than with GNR. JUST ALL THE WAY AROUND IT PISSES ME OFF. Axl valuing AC/DC over GNR just makes me mad.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Honestly don't give a shit at this point, lol. Just give us some Axl studio vocals again. I don't care if it's with Angus or Slash or Sebastian or whoever.

Hmmmm, wouldn’t you prefer it be with his actual band with Slash’s legendary guitar playing?  Angus and Axl can fvck off. I used to love Angus but this whole thing has really pissed me off. How they force Brian out. There are no original guys left. Angus is far from his prime (unlike Slash). Axl sounds amazing with AC/DC probably cause he tries harder than with GNR. JUST ALL THE WAY AROUND IT PISSES ME OFF. Axl valuing AC/DC over GNR just makes me mad.

I don't give a shit. Other than the rock legends who died before age 35, Axl is the biggest waste of talent in the history of rock and roll. I just want to hear his voice in the studio before it's gone. Don't care who he does it with.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

The two options were continue on with Guns N' Roses or pursue the Axl Rose solo project.

Instead of making a decision on either, he went with the safest option - join AC/DC and make money.

It's unsurprising but it still sucks.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I am listening to 30 years to life now. Great song. Myles is good here.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Problem with being ready again, is that Axl ain’t getting any younger, is he gonna have any voice in a few years to give us a new Guns album?

This is why it’s frustrating, instead of giving us a kickass new Guns album, he’s focusing on another band, well, supposedly

monkeychow wrote:

But we can be smart about it - and that is - basically they no longer have the time to burn like they did in the past.

Is the clock running out? Yes. Having said that, you cant really look at it in those terms anymore.

The world has changed, more specifically the musical landscape. We're getting awfully close to albums meaning nothing anymore and may have already crossed that line.  They are a minor promotional tool for your tour and are forgotten about five minutes after they stop trending days after the release. Nobody in the crowd is really there to hear any of it unless its some massive single.

It's ALL about the classic songs and buying a slice of nostalgia whether you're GNR, Bruce Springsteen, or the Spice Girls.

A tour is not being catered to an artists hardcore base, which is barely a blip on the radar of an arena or stadium crowd. Hardcore fans in today's culture are being marginalized. Yeah there are examples of the opposite such as Metallica unloading their vault in anniversary editions of albums but its the exception, not the rule.

While age is a factor...that factor is becoming less important. We live in an age where men in their 70s put on 3 hour shows in front of stadium sized crowds and no one is complaining. If there's a complaint, its that the show is too long.

A hardcore fan may be frustrated that GNR doesn't release Atlas Shrugged, The General, etc. but 99.9% of the audience doesn't even know these songs exist....and wont care and if they do ever care, it'll be for about five minutes after they hear it on spotify on release day.

Hardcore fan interest may have to morph into set lists containing deep cuts and not any type of longing for an album that may never come. Artists like GNR, Bruce, McCartney, etc. go above and beyond the call of duty each night. Half their set is songs that are not required for a casual audience.

Will GNR release something eventually? Probably. The first song with Axl and Slash in eons is going to be easily marketable...but the days of an album coming out and then a couple years later another one coming out are over.

I can see why Angus wants to do an album. Its a new chapter for AC/DC and an album will help push it as more than just a novelty.

GNR doesn't need an album yet. The venues fill up without one. How can an album promote sold out venues?

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

A new album won’t help fill up venues, but it will be a nice gesture to fans who’ve been waiting 25 years for more music from Axl and Slash.

And clearly from Slash putting out another new album, he still wants to create new songs, I imagine Axl would surely want to do the same?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Slash needs that new album to promote his upcoming club tour. That's why he's doing one.

AC/DC is about to move forward with a new singer and a major tour. They're gonna need an album to help push that...so they're doing one.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

The world has changed, more specifically the musical landscape. We're getting awfully close to albums meaning nothing anymore and may have already crossed that line.  They are a minor promotional tool for your tour and are forgotten about five minutes after they stop trending days after the release. Nobody in the crowd is really there to hear any of it unless its some massive single.

Yes, this is correct, but your argument is largely self-defeating.

If Atlas Shrugged is so inconsequential, maybe do whatever legal bullshit you have to do, and throw up an MP3 on Nightrain. It would do wonders.

Or have Fernando accidentally send a couple alts and b-sides to the loose-fingered Portuguese cabal.

The reunion tour could and should've been a really cool celebration for GNR fans. Same for AFD30. But it turned out to be jack shit. The most fan service-y thing they did was the free ticket promo and that is likely spinning a non-sold out show into a positive. It's a stunning lack of imagination and one of the biggest examples of brand mismanagement since... ever.

GN'R does literally nothing for their fans. It is purely a one-way, lifeless transaction at best and a passive "fuck you" at worst.

Is it any surprise the dogs are wolves? Or that the some of the most hardcore fans have left the boards in disgust?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

Is the clock running out? Yes. Having said that, you cant really look at it in those terms anymore.

But I do feel that GNR was owed a comeback album - Soundgarden, Motley, VH, AC/DC - all of them used an album as part of their reunions.

However generally I agree in the business sense.

But you'd think this would be a chance for the artistic side to shine through.

Lets face it - they're not going to be broke at this stage anyway - they just made hundreds of millions. So now they can do stuff thats artistically fun.

I bet shows are fun. But you'd have to think for a creative mind - making some new songs with your old chemistry might be a little more interesting than bumping your WTTJ live playcount from 3021 to 3022 times.

A lot of people who rolled with Axl talked about how creative he really is. Be nice for history to get some of it.

No one owes us anything as we're told often, but it's not every day an Axl meets a Slash in real life - let the universe have it's way - do something with whatever fate made you meet.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

No one owes us anything as we're told often

Such a boring statement.

Actually, a piece of propaganda disguised as a boring opinion.

A. Businesses release product. Consumers buy product. No product, no consumers.
B. If strict capitalism doesn't work for you, how about "artists passionate about their art find ways to get their art released"?

I'm voting with my dollar and not going to any more shows. I had a better time with Bumble and Friends.

monkeychow wrote:

But you'd think this would be a chance for the artistic side to shine through.

This "all the time in the world" sentiment is nonsense.

An object in motion tends to stay in motion. Past tendencies dictate future actions. Etc.

AFD didn't happen in 1987, the pump was primed for 4-5 years from different pieces of different bands. Producer search, re-recording, live shows to work out the kinks. One genius album isn't coming together in a year, they'd do well to release a respectable EP with Jackie Chan and build up to the album. Axl needs to get back in that space, too. Not endless touring or talking about Tim Cook. We're looking at 2020-2021 for the (theoretical) START of the process.

But speaking of age, The Stones released their last new album at the age Axl will be when he's done with AC/DC. The idea that he's gonna come back to GNR fat off AC/DC money rearing to get a new GNR album going is deluded. I liked The Bigger Bang, for the record.

We'll be lucky to get GNR 95-96 sessions finished up and out the door as The Endless River.

Maybe Axl will release CD II as his personal Blackstar? Probably not, though.

We're all just dumb enough hoping ancient leaks will spring up. There's nothing else to possibly look forward to.

Board footer