You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Heavens Edge W/Danger Danger (Ted Poley, actually)

PaSnow wrote:

So there's a band from Philadelphia, with quite a story. They were a late 80s glam metal band named Heavens Edge. I actually don't remember them, but my brother recalls them on the local radio show alot, and commercials about what bar they're playing at etc (we were both under 21). There a lineage to Philadelphias 80s metal, Cinderella > Britney Fox >.... so Heavens Edge was next in line. It traces back a little more, with local rockers The Hooters blowing up at Live Aid 85, and Bon Jovi actually played the circuit a bit and 'discovered' Cinderella himself. Unfortunately, bad timing, an unsupportive label, and bands like Janes Addiction, FNM, RHCP began to rise the same year, and once the fall of 91 arrived, their run ended.

Anyway, I'd discovered the band more recently, and saw they had a show coming up. They only play about once a year anymore, so I went. It was a blast. First they were great, both bands. Secondly, it was a total trip back to 1991. They actually played AFD as the house music between sets. Then when they were ready to come onstage took the fans on a trip back to 91 by playing C&C Music Factory, the crowd got the joke & it worked. I felt like an 18 year old who snuck into the bar, and these guys 50-60 were reliving their 20s, if only for an evening. Time wasn't good to alot of them, limps, canes, trouble standing for long periods, far removed of the days of drinking pitchers until 2am and attempting to drive home.

Ted Foley was the opening act. When I read it on the FB event page, I thought "Who??" I'll pass. I'm glad I didn't, the guy put on a heckuva show. Catchy choruses, had fans clapping their hands over their heads in anthem. Upbeat positivity with his music. I pulled out my phone to google him at the show. Turns out he's the singer for Danger Danger. Now I never got into them, they were always one of those ancillary metal bands, a B-leaguer who never quite reached top notch status (Poison, Warrant). I gotta say tho, after abstaining from 80s metal for so long, it's held up pretty well. It's refreshing to not hear negativity, or grumbling words you can't make out or make no sense in an effort to come off as poetically troubled. Singing about Girls, Friday Nights, and Good Times. With a catchy chorus, of course.

When I came home, I youtubed Danger Danger. Some of its good, I like it. Some underrated. Some song titles, jeeez, they belong locked up & kept in 1989, a different era. Very sexually suggestive. (Slipped Her the Big One, Yeah, You Want It!) but it was just about havin' fun. Anyway he really puts on a good show. I checked his FB, doesn't seem like he tours much, gosh when he does probably plays local bars. I was impressed tho, seems like a good all around dude too, not bitter, no agenda, just still up there havin fun.

So then Heavens Edge came on. Great set. They have 3 or 4 gems of songs, with admittedly what one could call some fillers. I guess I was wrong though. Years ago on here (or HTGTH) I argued with one of you about glam rock vs alternative. It may have been Communist China, but maybe someone else. I took the stance that the artsy 90s alternate rockers (Billy Corgan, Scott Weiland & others) were better than the quote unquote cheesy 80s rockers. Why?  Because its genuine, authentic, its real, its different etc etc etc. (I'm referring to more the second tier rock, not Cobain, Cornell etc although a case could be made over Vedder just being one dimensional)

Now though, I'm not so sure. These bands were just going thru the motions, and kicking out songs, kicking out albums in zero time. Churning out what sells and what they do. If singing songs about sex & good times is a crime, then Danger Danger is guilty as charged. But is it a 'lesser talent'?  Is any Offspring song any better than Danger Danger?  Was Live authentic, while Heavens Edge just fakes trying to Xerox a Motley Crue sound?

Those questions unfortunately remained very opinionated the last 25 years, and its a shame glam has been so ignored. Closest comparison is whatever & whoever were the hit musicians pre-Beatles/post-Buddy Holly?  We all know Elvis & Buddy Holly, and Motown, but who else was there from 60-64?  They were likely ignored by rock radio once millions tuned in to Ed Sullivan.

Anyway, its ashame man. Those guys are aging quickly & while nostalgia tours of Poison, Night Ranger etc had a good run, those bands never quite got the newfound respect they deserved. Nor the attention, and radio play.

Ashame, because to them, it was just about everyone having a fun time!

Ted Poley song - Worth a listen

Heavens Edge - Just Another Fire

https://youtu.be/-H9DzkpxAM8?t=12m14s
Heavens Edge - Find Another Way (This should've been a monster hit. & if you listen to this version closely, you'll hear the voice of an 18 year old kid, unsure of what lifes about to bring & not sure he's gonna figure it all out, but tonight he's just gonna have a good time!)

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Shoot, wrong section. Can a mod move it? Thx

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

This is awesome!

First, I was into both Heaven’s Edge and Danger Danger back in the day. Still listen to them actually.

Heaven’s Edge happened too late, but their first album is great. As you said “Find Another Way” could have been a huge hit. “Is That All You Want” and “Hold on to Tonight” are also pretty great. They always struck me as more of a Van Halen-type band while Danger Danger was more like Kiss.

Ted Poley is a really good vocalist, I like his voice. His solo stuff is very good. He’s turned into more of like a adult rock act, which is fine. The most recent Danger Danger album “Revolve” is a favorite of mine.   

Awesome you saw them. Thanks for sharing.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

^ That's great!  They actually covered VH's Ain't Talking Bout Love on Friday, video here:  https://youtu.be/-H9DzkpxAM8?t=23m59s 

Reggie Wu is a great guitarist who could hang with EVH (still can). Talented as fuck, and their singers a great frontman. Overall it was a great show, that isn't my clip above but he managed to record about 30 minutes of it, worth watching if u were a fan. Not as much footage of DD, but if you youtube Heavens Edge or Ted Poley + Trocadero the clips that are out there. I debated recording some, but in the end just chose to have fun man, it was great.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Great thread. My brother still maintains Screaming Cheetah Wheelies were a great band. 16

Remember Hurricane? They had an album produced by Mike Clink AND Bob Ezrin.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah I remember Hurricane. They seemed to 'almost' get there, similar to Bullet Boys, Fast Pussycat etc.

Never heard of Screaming Cheetah Wheelies. Youtubed them, "Magnolia" sounds ok, kinda rockish like Blues Traveler. Are you classifying them in the 80s metal, or 90s alt? Seems they were more of a 90s act, not sure why they weren't bigger. Those acts tended to get some recognition at Horde Festival & other outdoor festivals.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Heaven’s Edge happened too late, but their first album is great. As you said “Find Another Way” could have been a huge hit. “Is That All You Want” and “Hold on to Tonight” are also pretty great. They always struck me as more of a Van Halen-type band while Danger Danger was more like Kiss.

This is remarkable dude. No lie, Heavens Edge covered VH, and Poley covered Kiss Rock N Roll All Night to end his set. You really dove deep into their sounds & music bud, good call.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I remember Danger Danger. One of my aunts(only a few years older) owned their album back then. She's also the only person I knew then who bought both Winger albums. Only song I remember is Bang Bang. Definitely approaching C level. This is the type of rock we were being force fed until grunge came along.

I took the stance that the artsy 90s alternate rockers (Billy Corgan, Scott Weiland & others) were better than the quote unquote cheesy 80s rockers. Why?  Because its genuine, authentic, its real, its different etc etc etc. (I'm referring to more the second tier rock, not Cobain, Cornell etc although a case could be made over Vedder just being one dimensional)

Now though, I'm not so sure.

The culture shift was massive. Hindsight doesn't lessen the magnitude. It also wasn't just music, it was everything. The happy, cheesy Reagan days were over, we went from post Vietnam fatigue to watching Desert Storm unfold like a sporting event, AIDS finally getting the attention it deserved ten years earlier, more mature content being aimed towards a young generation, a likeable baby boomer running for president who plays the sax on talk shows, the Berlin Wall coming down which changed everything, etc.

Danger Danger and Britny Fox were not going to be the soundtrack.

In a world without Cobain, Cornell, and Vedder, other people take their place. The change was coming no matter what.

You mention Offspring. Can you imagine a comeback by Cinderella and RATT instead of The Offspring and Green Day?

Back then I was puzzled by the fact none of those bands were able to gain a second wind at the time. I'm no longer puzzled. None of it belonged in that environment.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

This is remarkable dude. No lie, Heavens Edge covered VH, and Poley covered Kiss Rock N Roll All Night to end his set. You really dove deep into their sounds & music bud, good call.

These bands often get shit on, but they are not doing anything no one hadn’t done before. Sure, they got overexposed, but that’s a label thing. A great portion of these artists were good at their craft.

The original guitar player for Danger Danger has gone on to have a Steve Vai-like career. He has some phenomenal instrumental albums, something Slash has never had the balls to do.

https://youtu.be/Jo-vmk7f6bo

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I noticed this is in the wrong section, sorry about that. Anyway I went ahead & saw Ted Poley again solo. Up North Jersey so pretty far commute. Great show, a little short as it was a holiday party & he was doing some fundraising & autograph pictures etc afterwards. I had too long a drive to stay much later (1ish, got home around 3). Some vids tho of the hits:

Board footer