You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: New Slash solo album with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators incoming

esoterica wrote:

No, but I've read all the books Axl wrote songs about, so there's that.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

and that's how you wind up taking a decade to write a bunch of rehashed songs about estranged lovers.

This is one thing that blew my mind about the project. So many interesting and crazy things happened in the world 1994-2008 yet you wouldn't know that by listening to the album.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

It's not too surprising considering it all dates back to 1997-1999.

Books, abstract themes, and ex-lovers.

It's partly why I was amped to hear the Beltrami stuff. It was like, eh maybe he found a different vein.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think that happens with a lot of bands some of it is because once your famous you kinda start living in a little bubble not the real world society anymore.

Like in terms of song motivation.

Think about Axl's life in 1985 or whenever they were writing AFD, vs the kind of day to day like he was living by 1997.

85 they're on the street hustle trying to make it big, but 97 it's gated security and private living. Would have to make a difference.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I think that happens with a lot of bands some of it is because once your famous you kinda start living in a little bubble not the real world society anymore.

Like in terms of song motivation.

Think about Axl's life in 1985 or whenever they were writing AFD, vs the kind of day to day like he was living by 1997.

85 they're on the street hustle trying to make it big, but 97 it's gated security and private living. Would have to make a difference.

It makes a huge difference. Some of the best stuff on the Illusion albums came from the Appetite days too.

That's the Catch-22 with GN'R. Their incredible success with that first album was well-deserved. The music was phenomenal stuff and the sales numbers backed it up. But you also tend to think that band could have easily been a cult classic type of band that had to work their way up to star level over a much longer period. Instead they hit the big time so quick that they lost the real world experiences that created those songs.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

tejastech08 wrote:

That's the Catch-22 with GN'R. Their incredible success with that first album was well-deserved. The music was phenomenal stuff and the sales numbers backed it up. But you also tend to think that band could have easily been a cult classic type of band that had to work their way up to star level over a much longer period. Instead they hit the big time so quick that they lost the real world experiences that created those songs.

They kind of lucked out because a lot of the UYI songs were written in the same period as the AFD ones – so they still had that young, hungry band feel about them and the lyrics were all about the hustle. So they were able to sustain that vibe from AFD through to UYI, which is the majority of their discography.

Board footer