You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: The Super Hero Movie Epidemic

Neemo wrote:

Anyone else sick of these movies popping up several times a year...each movie basically a clome of the previous?

Between SH Flicks and remakes i think Hollywood has lost their creativeness

IMO they have figured out a formula to maximize theatre attendance and they stay well within that comfort zone

I swear each movie has just the right amount of comedic relief and action so people dont get too bored or serious...keep em happy and buying overpriced junk food

Or maybe I'm just getting old...last 2 ive seen in theatres ... Gaurdians of the galaxy and deadpool 2

If i get my way i wont be seeing another dc or marvel movie on the big screen...id rather stay home and watch an HBO or Netflix original tv show

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Not to mention, there are so many it costs a ton of money to keep up.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Uggh, tell me about it. It's outta control. I really only like Batman. Never got into Spiderman, although I can respect it once in a while. Oddly I feel they need to make more Supermans (Why no Man Of Steel 2?).   After that its ridiculous. Captain America, Iron Man (They were good tho I'll admit, the first 1 or 2 at least), Hulk, Deadpool, Avengers, Thor blah blah blah. I bet I missed half a dozen of 'em. They also oversaturate them, as is Star Wars. Every year there's 3 or 4 superhero movies, and Solo has come out 6 months after the last Star Wars?  WTF.

I kinda feel for millenials though. There is no Swingers or Reality Bites for their generation. No The Departed or Black Hawk Down. Just no great live storytelling films.

I think it's time they reboot The Matrix though. Create a sequel to them.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

I went from movies being my favorite form of art to watching maybe 5-6 a year. I have a giant DVD collection. Movies today are totally fucked because of these comic book and cartoon nerds.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

As long as they're good/entertaining, I don't mind.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Also these superhero movies have seemed to become so political and PC always pushing an agenda.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'm not really that much of a shared universe guy.

I read a few comics growing up but always preferred the stand alone kinda stories to the cross over type where they all exist in the same place.

I think its easier for suspension of disbelief, like you can imagine a world with a batman, or a superman, or a spiderman or whatever, but all of them at once moves into a rather unlikely place.

That said for a crossover I enjoyed BvS: Dawn of Justice, but I felt that they ruined the sequel as they tried to make it too much like marvel and lost all the edge.

As for marvel, I enoyed the early waves of them - like Ironman 1 and Captain America 1, and even Avengers 1 despite it being a shared flick - but now that it's gone on this long I find it gets hard to keep up with and full of kinda in-jokes.

Reminds me of growing up a starwars guy and then watching some startrek - I can enjoy it but it's kinda for people who have watched all the startrek.

Anyways I don't mind them - but its sad if this is ALL hollywood does. Like superhero stuff has a place. But if we get nothing but remakes, franchinse entries and so on - I wonder how we will ever find the next generation of auters.

How do you get a new Quentin Tarrintino or a new martin scorsese or someone of that nature in this system. How do you find a ridley scott, or hell, even a speilberg or cameron...if its all just going to be superheros and reboots.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

^^ Good post Mokey. I agree 100%. As this post suggests, whats up with so many of them?

No wonder there's been no Pulp Fictions, Fight Clubs, The Departeds recently. Its almost like an era gone by. I've heard they're remaking Scarface I think. I suppose it's almost been long enough, but its kinda lame. Make a new movie already.

Also comedies & romantic comedies. No Swingers, no cult films. It's just all potty humor & sex/American Pie type jokes with 40 year olds moving in next door.

Ragnite_Powered
 Rep: 0 

Well, the actors who did the first American Pie movies are in their 40s now, aren't they? It's just the same people doing the same jokes, nothing surprising 14
But to come back to the topic of superhero movies, I've stopped watching them a couple years ago, and now just feel like there's a steady flow of superhero related memes in my social network feeds, without starting or stopping point. I don't know what are the movies called, what are most superheroes called (I recognise Superman, Batman, Spiderman and a couple X-Men, but that's the full extent of my knowledge) or what universe they're from, but there's a set of superheroes I've seen non-stop for the last 6-7 years, and at this point I'm afraid to ask where they're from!
It's like fantasy themed anime or battle royale video games these days. You just get a steady flow of knights with huge swords and witches with impressive hairstyles, or a flow of guys running in the woods of an ever shrinking battlefield with weapons they found laying around, and don't really find what's the difference between them.

In fact, I think that there's a huge loss of originality in all media these days, but here's a little question : has it always been this way? Hasn't there always been trends in media, leading to a wave of very similar things (remember the avalanche of teen fantasy novels after the success of Harry Potter? The strategy video games after Total Annihilation and Command and Conquer?), and we just get a feeling of diversity from the fact that most of these less original titles were quickly forgotten, and only the trope creators and truly original creations are remembered after a couple years.

Board footer