You are not logged in. Please register or login.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Re: The Football Thread

AtariLegend wrote:

So the other story from today, Pogba might be joining United for £100 million after even Madrid decided it was a bit too much.

What do you guys think?

Crazy money. He's a good player no doubt but tends to be hit and miss. He can look like the worlds best midfielder one week and then be totally anonymous the next. The Euro final being a perfect example, he was completely out played by Sissoko on the night.

If you're paying £100 million you expect a player who is putting in +8/10 performances every week. The only other players who could command that kind of money (Ronaldo, Messi, Bale, Suarez, Neymar) are all at that kind of level. Pogba isn't and whilst he is young, at 23 age won't be an excuse for long.

Still a good player but I think if true Man Utd are over paying by £40-50 million.

johndivney wrote:

Yea p much agree with the consensus. Tbh that £100million is still mostly a mixture of big mouth hype from his agent & that elusive "potential". Tbh I think he's old enough now that he needed to start delivering on the promise of that potential, but it hasn't really happened.

This tournament has shown one thing, he is not a deep lying central midfielder. He is much more effective played further forward. He just doesn't have the brain or discipline to play the role that deschamps asked of him. But when further forward when he can rely on his instinctive skill he offers more.

Disappointed in him this tournament.
If you really must pay £100million spend it on griezmann. He dragged France to the final.

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Yamcha wrote:
johndivney wrote:

If you really must pay £100million spend it on griezmann. He dragged France to the final.

Yes to this.

Pogba is a very overrated player. He is not worth £100 M and will never be. He was a disappointing player at WC 2014 and he still is, though he may have improved a little bit.
You need consistency to be a success. I don't think 23 is too young (Ronaldo, Messi, etc were showing consistency at a younger age).

AtariLegend wrote:

Quite a Barca come back tonight.

johndivney wrote:

Typical French.
Cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Greatest sports come back ever/worst bottle job in sports ever.

I watched it with a level of bewilderment that bordered on stupid, a heightened WTF state of mind. It took a couple of hours to unwind & come down from.

It sounds ridiculous but Barca actually didn't play that well! PSG were just THAT bad, just fucked up that badly, kept gifting Barca goals. Then the ref got duped by Suarez. But it was crazy defending from PSG they just panicked & every decision they made was the wrong one & everything went wrong.

Even still at 3-0 I felt PSG just needed a goal & the tie would be over. And once they got it I was willing to give up and stop watching, I thought it was over. & in fairness so did most of the Barca players - Messi pretty much stopped trying & went into a sulk for example. & PSG had two 1-on-1's before Neymars free kick they should've scored from.

Football. Fucking hell.

A Private Eye

A Private Eye wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Again I disagree. There'll always be another lukaku but there will never be another ibra.

& with ibra you're guaranteed a return. lukaku on the other hand has only delivered in patches.

Show pony?! He's a champion, a winner & an elite profession who sets the tone- lukaku is none of those things.

Jose didn't fancy lukaku before.. he's won a scudetto with ibra & I think maybe ibra finished top scorer that year too?? I'm not a utd fan but even I'm excited by this. I wouldn't be excited by lukaku..

Don't get me wrong I'm looking forward to seeing him in the Prem, he's box office.

However if I was a Man utd fan I'd rather we looked elsewhere. At 35 how many seasons could he give you, all the while younger long term talent is overlooked because Zlatan has the no.9 shirt. Lukaku by contrast is 23, has his best years ahead of him and is proven in the Prem, averaging a goal every 2 games in generally ordinary West Brom and Everton teams.

For me Lukaku is a signing for long term success. Zlatan is a short term bums on seats signing.

Can't see Lukaku happening now Mourinho is there anyway as you said.

Looks like Mourinho agreed with both of us in the end divney 16

A Private Eye

Anyone on here watching the world cup?

Been some good/unexpected results so far and Spain v Portugal was a classic. Hopefully they meet again later in the tournament.

Englands first game tonight, let the pain, suffering and anguish begin.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Been some good/unexpected results so far and Spain v Portugal was a classic. Hopefully they meet again later in the tournament.

Spain v. Portugal was awesome.

Would anyone mind explaining the qualifying process? How often does the US not make it?

A Private Eye

mitchejw wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Spain v. Portugal was awesome.

Would anyone mind explaining the qualifying process? How often does the US not make it?

The US usually qualify, 86 was the last time they didn’t.

Qualifying is split basically in to continents so in European qualifying you have about 8 groups of 5 or 6. A team will play everyone in their group twice and the top team qualifys. The 2nd placed teams are then drawn against each other in playoffs and the winner of each of those games qualifys as well.

The US have to qualify against the other teams in North and Central America and the Carribean region. The format is a bit different for their federation but it’s the same sort of idea. Ultimately you end up with a group where the top 3 qualify to the WC and 4th have a playoff against another continents playoff side (in this case it was Honduras v Australia).

Better explained here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FI … (CONCACAF)

US must have been pretty poor this time round to not qualify as it’s not a strong region football-wise. Usually it’s US, Mexico and someone else who generally qualify.

England off to a winning start, although we made hard work of it as usual. Reasons to be cheerful though, we look a quick team which could cause teams problems.

A Private Eye

What a crazy World Cup this has been so far!

Germany out in the group stage is unthinkable. Shame out resident Germany fan doesn’t seem to post anymore 16

I’ve enjoyed watching England so far. Not getting carried away as we’ve beaten nobody of consequence but we’re are quite good to watch which hasn’t been the case for at least 15 years.

Literally no idea who’s going to win this, it’s wide open. No team has looked amazing so far but Croatia have looked the strongest. A team with Modric and Rakitic in could be seriously tough to beat.

Board footer