You are not logged in. Please register or login.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

Re: Guns N' Roses & related STUDIO SESSIONS - a definitive collection (?)

zombux wrote:

I've posted this on MyGNRforum, but I'd like to share this here as well - a list of all GNR *studio* recordings, it also became a list of rehearsals. ANY suggestion how to make the list better and more accurate is welcome! smile

http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/220883- … able-info/

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Great stuff. I’d assume the 6th remix is Sorry considering Melissa and Brain performed it at that Lakers game or something.

zombux

zombux wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Great stuff. I’d assume the 6th remix is Sorry considering Melissa and Brain performed it at that Lakers game or something.

I'd assume too, but there's no any other hint as of now.
a friend of mine asked Melissa directly about the remixes and she replied that she worked on them with Brain back in the day.
no other relevant info yet though.

ZeroMortals7
 Rep: 0 

ZeroMortals7 wrote:

a mind blowing list!

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

It depends on what you're compiling here but take these two sources:

Classic Rock, 07/07 wrote:

"In addition to these leaked tracks, Classic Rock has heard versions of Rhiad And The Bedouins, Prostitute, Atlas Shrugged (another track featuring the signature guitar of Brian May) and Silkworms."

The "leaked tracks" being:

1. Chinese Democracy

2. Better

3. Catcher In The Rye

4. IRS

5. There Was A Time

6. Madagascar
    --
    Plus the "new" Classic Rock songs:
    ---

7. Rhiad And The Bedouins

8. Prostitute

9. Atlas Shrugged

10. Silkworms

It's unlikely the album was 10 songs but I digress...

Mick Wall, 11/08 wrote:

There’s one record company executive, who I dare not name, who was playing privately for journalists in London in the summer of 2007, his version of the album, which dated back to when he worked on the project — 2001 or 2002, when it was first on the schedules to be released. And these were finished tracks.

It narrows down Classic Rock's source and also dates them to "when it was first on the schedules to be released" which was September 2002.

Ipso facto, Classic Rock likely heard:

• 2002 versions

• Produced by Roy Thomas Baker

• Brian May was still on Catcher and Atlas

While more esoteric than "in circulation" or in a more general pool, it gives a more exact estimation of what is definitively known to exist.

You can also add Chinese Democracy and Oklahoma (Berlin) (Instrumental) from 2000 via Rolling Stone piece if you are going with this sort of tracking.

And Prostitute 1999 if you believe Walker and other longstanding rumors.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Mick Wall, 11/08 wrote:

There’s one record company executive, who I dare not name, who was playing privately for journalists in London in the summer of 2007, his version of the album, which dated back to when he worked on the project — 2001 or 2002, when it was first on the schedules to be released.

Could be Tom Whalley. As I recall, he was appointed as an intermediate, after Ax famously ousted both RTB and Zoot.

Good find. Whatever happened in '02 is down on Axl. It's hard to pinpoint what made him change his mind and when. It could be anything, like Yoda giving him a bad vibe reading. He had a big money comeback tour lined up and he just binned it.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Great list, a lot of work has gone into that.

Re. this:

Mike Clink produced Record Plant Recording Studios - December 16, 1990 - January 16, 1991, other sources say January 18, 1991

I think you can definitely say January 18 1991....

e20371ae587d3fee4336.jpg

zombux

zombux wrote:

@Wagzilla: thanks for the info, I think I'll include those as well. the ChiDem era is a mess anyway, and instead of the real recording studio sessions, I think we can hardly do better than sort available tracks during each "year" or "era", because they were mostly an amalgam of various years and studios glued together anyway.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

One of the problems I guess you have is determining what’s considered a “demo” and what’s just another “take” of a final song for the album.

How different does a version need to be to be considered a demo. Or do you just list every demo and take out there?

zombux

zombux wrote:
Aussie wrote:

One of the problems I guess you have is determining what’s considered a “demo” and what’s just another “take” of a final song for the album.

How different does a version need to be to be considered a demo. Or do you just list every demo and take out there?

yes, I'm fighting that bit a little. I got to a state when I'm summing up every "take", not distinguishing between a demo, rehearsal take or final cut. the album versions make the life pretty difficult, especially at UYI, because they mostly seem to have been recorded around August or September 1990 and during the following months they were just tinkering with different mixes, adding little tweaks and recording vocals at random studios. what a mess.

Board footer