You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

Rex wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

Annihilation- Great film. I wish Portman would do more films like this. She's amazing but her resume is real spotty. I didn't really like the ending but there were very few directions for this story to go. I never read the book but apparently they took it in a different direction. The books are a trilogy but I don't see how this story could realistically get sequels.

Probably my favorite horror movie I've seen this year. Great sound design, as every scene that warranted it had music to really make you feel uneasy. And that bear creature gave me the heebie jeebies for sure.

The soundtrack in that movie was beautiful too. Love the synth and acoustic arrangements in it.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Saw 2 movies via Redbox, Dunkirk & Wonder Woman. Wasn't a big fan of either.

Dunkirk I think loses alot on TV. Wish I saw it in the theater. I was slightly (selfishly) disappointed that this wasn't more of a 'war movie', more of a great escape. Visually, it was stunning, superb. Which is why I say it probably needed to be seen in theaters. I wasn't a big fan of how the storyline seemed to project most of the events onto the one character, making his tale seem far fetched. Would've liked to have seen it divvied up among characters. The pilot & civilian ship captain were great tho.

Wonder Woman I wasn't a big fan of. I'm not huge on Superhero movies & the story arc for this one was just typical. 20 minutes - Introduce new superhero character, 1 hour superhero finds their way thru life, 20 minutes epic final battle vs villain. Rinse repeat. It was good, well made & produced, just felt like you could interchange many other superhero characters & or films into this one & it's the same. I was hoping for something a bit more fresh. I don't follow the comic, wasn't a fan of the WW2 plot (esp right after seeing Dunkirk lol) but maybe that's the plotline of the comic. Would've preferred a TV show plotline or something.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

Mission Impossible- Saw this in the theater in 96. Just watched it a few days ago since I decided to watch the other films. Its amazing how slow action films of old are after watching how modern films move along. Same with TV shows. Watch something like Streets of San Francisco, then watch something like Rizzoli & Isles. Its insane.

It's a great film though. The sequels lost the flavor contained in this one. The CIA break in one of the best moments in the series.

Mission Impossible II- Holy shit. They lost the plot with this one. I don't know if anyone said it at the time(2000) but this had the potential to be a franchise killer. The simple fact it killed at the box office is likely the only thing that saved it. The plot is severely lacking, a terrible cast with no chemistry, Some scenes loaded with cringe, and its too action oriented.

Mission Impossible III- Nice recovery. Cruise must have realized his franchise was in trouble. A better cast and Hoffman wound up being the best villain in the franchise. The series has permanently strayed from its roots though with epic action scenes becoming the fuel.

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation- Wow. After watching III I didn't think they could top its casting. They did here. The Ilsa character is strong enough to warrant a spinoff film.  I actually googled her to see if there had already been a film with this character in it. She just shows up and starts kicking ass like she's an action star on her own. They'll never do it of course but the potential is there. Cruise's age is catching up with him but he can still pull it off. He should focus on doing a few more MI films before he gets too old.

The Prestige- Cant believe I went all these years without watching it. I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not a big fan of films set in this era which is probably why I avoided it but it has a great story. Was surprised to see Bowie playing Tesla. A bold casting choice.

The Bourne Supremacy- Decided to catch up on this franchise like I did MI. I saw the first Bourne movie when it came out but none of the others. I should've watched the first one again instead of picking up here.  I do not like this character at all and I realize part of it may be because I simply cant stand Damon. I was able to overlook this with The Martian but not here. I may try the latest Bourne film before giving up on it.

I don't find the Bourne character sympathetic yet he's supposed to be. We're supposed to pull for him in these situations but there's nothing to pull for. He's just a grade A assassin who also kills women who get in the way. His apology to the surviving daughter at the end falls flat.

These films might be better had a different actor got the role.

I Still Know What You Did Last Summer- Jesus Christ. I saw this in 98 when it came out and liked it although I was always a Hewitt fan from Party of Five. This film does not hold up at all and the plot is pure shit. They obviously did it to capitalize on the success of the first film and put no thought into this.

I've put this on my list of horror films to never watch again.

Annihilation- Great film. I wish Portman would do more films like this. She's amazing but her resume is real spotty. I didn't really like the ending but there were very few directions for this story to go. I never read the book but apparently they took it in a different direction. The books are a trilogy but I don't see how this story could realistically get sequels.

I'll go through some of my thoughts on these films:

MI I:  I think it's still one of the better MI films.  There's an engaging plot and it's really well cast in my opinion.  I prefer the slower action because it gives the story a chance to breathe and connect.  It's not just a setup to an action piece or sequence.

MI II:  I watched this on VHS years ago and couldn't make sense of the plot or understand how this hell this made money.  It was really confusing.  Oh also don't judge John Woo on his mediocre American output; his 80s-90s HK action films are top notch and worth a view (particularly the ones involving Chow Yun Fat).

Rogue Nation:  Pretty much darker than Ghost Protocol and more interesting because of it.

The Prestige:  I think it's one of the few Nolan films I enjoy rewatching.  It's well cast and I love how the theme of "the double" is prevalent throughout the film.

The Bourne Series:  Another Matt Damon hater here.  When I watch him he bores the fucking shit out of me.  I hated the first one.  He had zero chemistry with the costar, Franka Potente, and the car chase was a slight rip off from Ronin.  I had like zero expectations for the other films and I found that I sorta enjoyed them because of that.  I'll probably never watch them again but they're perfectly watchable.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

The new Mission Impossible, I LOVED IT!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

“If I Leave Here Tomorrow” Lynyrd Skynyrd documentary, Freaking Amazing! Why can’t GNR do something similar?

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

“If I Leave Here Tomorrow” Lynyrd Skynyrd documentary, Freaking Amazing! Why can’t GNR do something similar?

Watched that too. It was good but was left with wanting more. Kinda short. The eagles doc was also really good if you haven't seen it. As well as hbo's stones one.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Wasnt The Eagles doc 2 parts. Up until 1980 then what happened AFTER 1980? I couldnt stay thru another 90 mi utes but I agree the first part was great.

Twisted Sister has a real good documentary on Netflix (i think its still on there).  Good storyline, lots of archive films and camcorder footage, and pretty honest & humble interviews.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Wasnt The Eagles doc 2 parts. Up until 1980 then what happened AFTER 1980? I couldnt stay thru another 90 mi utes but I agree the first part was great.

Twisted Sister has a real good documentary on Netflix (i think its still on there).  Good storyline, lots of archive films and camcorder footage, and pretty honest & humble interviews.

Believe it or not, there was a really good doc about the drummer of Quiet Riot that was really good. I had zero desire to watch it but it totally sucked me in.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

^^ Thats funny, ill have to check it out. TS was the same way for me. Not a big fan either way, just was bored one Saturday night and was in the mood.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Saw Chappaquitick, the Ted Kennedy movie. It's ok, I felt it went a little soft on him as far as the extent of drinking & 'drunkness' had on the evening. On the flip side, while it didn't dwell on it or blame it, it had to be a pretty tough time for him, losing his brother JFK then RFK in manners that they died, then, sorta being told 'Ted, the country needs you as President". 

Like, whut?

Board footer