You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Richard: 'Get An Album Out Soon'

tejastech08 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

There's a hunger to get an album out there from both the band – who want to cement their legacy – and the suits (who want that big GN'R reunion album payday).

I don't think there are big paydays from album sales anymore.

Meanwhile, I think the GN'R legacy is already cemented from the Appetite, Lies, and Illusion era. They took the world by the balls in spectacular fashion and they imploded in spectacular fashion. New album would be nice for the fans, but it's not going to change the legacy of GN'R.

Sky Dog wrote:

Agree. Just release an album. Everything doesn’t have to be about legacies and ruling the world in your mid 50’s. axl

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Agree. Just release an album. Everything doesn’t have to be about legacies and ruling the world in your mid 50’s. axl

I would certainly like to hear Axl's voice in the studio before it's completely gone. We are getting closer and closer to that point based on the live performances we have seen in recent years.

Would be nice if we could get some Blu-ray releases of older shows, especially from the club days in 1986 and 1987.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

apex-twin wrote:

Compare Snakepit mk 1 with the Constipators.

Back then, setting up a sideproject caused a rift in Guns.

Today, Slash has  an established band on his own. Axl owns Guns. No conflict in that.

I think it was less "setting up a side project" (hadn't Duff already put out a solo record?) than "Axl thought he should get first dibs on all the riffs".

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Today, Slash has  an established band on his own. Axl owns Guns. No conflict in that.

I think it was less "setting up a side project" (hadn't Duff already put out a solo record?) than "Axl thought he should get first dibs on all the riffs".

I dunno if Axl should have dibs, but GN'R itself should be more important to all the guys than their solo projects.

I think the biggest rift in GN'R was caused by Axl showing up late for concerts and his decision to change GN'R from a hard rock band to an industrial band. That's a pretty radical shift and I can see how the other guys would be turned off by it.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

tejastech08 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

I dunno if Axl should have dibs, but GN'R itself should be more important to all the guys than their solo projects.

I think the biggest rift in GN'R was caused by Axl showing up late for concerts and his decision to change GN'R from a hard rock band to an industrial band. That's a pretty radical shift and I can see how the other guys would be turned off by it.

The "industrial" thing ended up being a bit overstated, though. After all that hoo-ha, Chinese Democracy ended up being a hard rock record with some industrial touches on individual songs – and most of the songs ended up cleaving so close to the hard rock template of the old band that Slash and Duff have no qualms playing them on stage (hell, Duff played Shackler's Revenge on stage with the Chinese Democracy-era band).

Axl planned to evolve the band's sound, as musicians tend to do – does The White Album sound like the work of the same band that produced Please Please Me? 90s!Slash wanted to trap the band in a rut of regressive, bog-standard hard-rock riffs at exactly the moment that new musical movements like grunge, industrial and nu-metal were shaking up the rock landscape – and if GN'R had released Slash's preferred album after TSI? it would've sunk without trace. I don't think Axl is always right by any means, but I think he had a better handle on what the band needed to do back then than the other members (I also think it's telling that Duff, probably the most level-headed member of the band, stuck around longest and was the first classic-era member to put out feelers to Axl during the Chinese Democracy era).

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

The "industrial" thing ended up being a bit overstated, though. After all that hoo-ha, Chinese Democracy ended up being a hard rock record with some industrial touches on individual songs – and most of the songs ended up cleaving so close to the hard rock template of the old band that Slash and Duff have no qualms playing them on stage (hell, Duff played Shackler's Revenge on stage with the Chinese Democracy-era band).

Axl planned to evolve the band's sound, as musicians tend to do – does The White Album sound like the work of the same band that produced Please Please Me? 90s!Slash wanted to trap the band in a rut of regressive, bog-standard hard-rock riffs at exactly the moment that new musical movements like grunge, industrial and nu-metal were shaking up the rock landscape – and if GN'R had released Slash's preferred album after TSI? it would've sunk without trace. I don't think Axl is always right by any means, but I think he had a better handle on what the band needed to do back then than the other members (I also think it's telling that Duff, probably the most level-headed member of the band, stuck around longest and was the first classic-era member to put out feelers to Axl during the Chinese Democracy era).

AC/DC never chased trends and it worked out very well for them over time. The biggest songwriting problem for GN'R was they ran out of stuff to say once they got rich. They built a lot of great songs based on their gutter rat lifestyle in the 1980's.

vipicius
 Rep: 6 

vipicius wrote:

Duff said:
“It’s never been that band that there’s a direct schedule of how we do things. I’ve heard some magnificent stuff that Axl has, really cool stuff he’s been working on. So I’m excited about the possibilities with that, of course. I don’t mean to get anybody rabid. Our day will happen when it happens, that’s for sure.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi … UcsV7gH7uI

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

It's one thing to put out a solo album. Duff had his own songs. Snakepit was different. Slash's riffs, offered to Guns. Axl waddles around it. Slash says, nuts. I'm gonna record this stuff anyway. He completes a record, without mentioning it to Axl. Then Axl comes back, having made up his mind. Slash says they're Snakepit songs now. Axl blows a gasket in disappointment; he'd already figured out three would-be Guns songs out of those riffs.

Then there's the BS Sympathy session, in which nothing goes right. Paul Tobias subbing for Stones fan Gilby, out touring his solo album. A quick try-out with Zakk Wylde and Slash goes on a press/concert tour with Snakepit. He gets drunk in front of the press more often than not and managed to appear less so. But the talks about Axl and Paul are there. Tensions arise in Malibu as the word filters back to Ax about his guitarist shooting his mouth.

Finally, Ax summons Snakepit back before their Asian/Oceanic tour leg, by informing the label that he's ready to work on a Guns album. Slash comes back and is handed the partnership disbanding letter. In Axl's mind, it definitely looks (to me, anyway) like he felt Slash was drifting away from Guns. Snakepit's fairly successful tour was feeding his insecurities as an insult to injury; they were playing some would-be Guns songs and Axl saw that they could be presented 'as is', without him singing on them.

So I think it started with the riffs, but escalated over 1,5 years into the less than amicable split because Slash built them into  a show, with Axl fuming on the sidelines.

Sky Dog wrote:

I just went to the store to get some milk and saw Paul Tobias on the back of the carton! What year is it anyway? 10

Board footer