You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: US Politics Thread

PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

What about his idiot actor from Empire. So stupid.

It's just unbelievable. This is something that'll be remembered for decades. Kinda like Milli Vanilli. Has anyone 'faked' something to this magnitute? I'm sure something similar has been done but I can't think of one.

Incredibly stupid & offensive, to soo many people, pretty much all Americans can be pissed at him. Whites for implying racists are out there that aren't, blacks for faking a racist assault AND hiring two black men to fake beat him up (although I heard he was hoping it would've been captured on surveillance, not sure how the MAGA angle would work since video would've shown the men as black), and gays for also faking anti-gay hatred that isn't there.

The show needs to fire him asap. TBH I think they'd be better off just replacing him with another actor, giving work to someone else. I've only seen the show 2 or 3 times it's early years, not sure how big a part he has but I think he's just one of the sons who sings, but I would think they could try swapping him out. The shows probably in its final years anyway, just inject interest back into it to see 'the new guy'.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I actually met him and talked to him for a few minutes several years ago...when Empire first came out.  I really didn't know who he was, but he was soft-spoken, polite, and was genuinely interested in giving back to the African-American community (the event I was at was not limited to but definitely focused on that community). 

I think he made a mistake.  Granted a pretty big mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.  It's actually a perfect example of people trying to create something out of nothing.  There are plenty of racist things happening from multiple sides of the coin.  There are plenty of anti-gay people out there.  I don't understand why the need to create something out of nothing instead of using your fame to bring attention to the things that are actually happening.  This just destroys the credibility of the times when something actually happens.

I don't think he should be charged with a hate crime.  I think that's overstepping the intent of the law (though I admit I do not know the letter of the law).  I do think he should be charged appropriately and given whatever the maximum penalty is for false reports or whatever.  Now had this escalated to riots and things like that, then he might deserve the hate crime charges, but fortunately for him (and everyone) that didn't happen.  I don't believe in making an example out of everyone that makes a bad decision provided there were minimal side-effects from his actions.  He made a bad decision and he's going to pay for that decision for the rest of his life and his career is likely over or will certainly suffer as a result.  Too bad he's not an elite athlete...someone would be willing to overlook this to give him another opportunity in that line of work.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

It's just unbelievable. This is something that'll be remembered for decades. Kinda like Milli Vanilli. Has anyone 'faked' something to this magnitute? I'm sure something similar has been done but I can't think of one.

It's pretty stupid, especially these days when we've got 1000s of amateur sleuths on Twitter just chomping at the bit.

There was the girl who said she was robbed by a group of black guys who then held her down and then carved a "B" on her face for Barack Obama during the 08 election. Only problem was she did it the wrong way because she was looking in the mirror.

6853a-ashley-20todd.jpg

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Very stupid but there are still a few pieces of the puzzle missing.

Like...why?!

They want to be part of the drama, and maybe a cultural event that made everything change direction I guess?

Either way, pretty stupid.

But also SG didn't answer the question...nice pivot lol.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I actually met him and talked to him for a few minutes several years ago...when Empire first came out.  I really didn't know who he was, but he was soft-spoken, polite, and was genuinely interested in giving back to the African-American community (the event I was at was not limited to but definitely focused on that community). 

I think he made a mistake.  Granted a pretty big mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.  It's actually a perfect example of people trying to create something out of nothing.  There are plenty of racist things happening from multiple sides of the coin.  There are plenty of anti-gay people out there.  I don't understand why the need to create something out of nothing instead of using your fame to bring attention to the things that are actually happening.  This just destroys the credibility of the times when something actually happens.

I don't think he should be charged with a hate crime.  I think that's overstepping the intent of the law (though I admit I do not know the letter of the law).  I do think he should be charged appropriately and given whatever the maximum penalty is for false reports or whatever.  Now had this escalated to riots and things like that, then he might deserve the hate crime charges, but fortunately for him (and everyone) that didn't happen.  I don't believe in making an example out of everyone that makes a bad decision provided there were minimal side-effects from his actions.  He made a bad decision and he's going to pay for that decision for the rest of his life and his career is likely over or will certainly suffer as a result.  Too bad he's not an elite athlete...someone would be willing to overlook this to give him another opportunity in that line of work.

Yeah, I was referring more to the career suicide part of it. Personally, I think he needs to be removed from the show, and his acting career likely over. Remember when Winona Rider was caught shoplifting & that basically ended her career until Stranger Things. This'll be similar.

Again, I can't think of a similar situation to this. You bring up a good point about athletes vs actors. Hollywood is quick to blacklist people. Remember Rob Lowe's career ending for a while due to the 80s sex scandal he was caught up in? Things like that.

Again, I'm not sure a serious criminal charge needs to be brought, but I don't think he's worthy of continuing his acting career. There's more worthy out of work actors in Hollywood imho.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
slcpunk wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Very stupid but there are still a few pieces of the puzzle missing.

Like...why?!

They want to be part of the drama, and maybe a cultural event that made everything change direction I guess?

Either way, pretty stupid.

But also SG didn't answer the question...nice pivot lol.

What was the question? Brennon, and Clapper have lied to Congress before. They are partisan. I don’t excuse any actions by trump.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Aw shit more scum bag trump supporters getting caught up in sleeze....Go Pats!!!

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

[

What was the question? Brennon, and Clapper have lied to Congress before. They are partisan. I don’t excuse any actions by trump.

Everybody is a liar except for Trump! Everybody is partisan!

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

This is embarrassing.

Board footer