You are not logged in. Please register or login.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

Re: Richard: 'Get An Album Out Soon'

zombux wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

And don’t forget Tommy with his Duff like optimism. I literally laugh when people think things will change on the new music front because Slash and Duff will hold some kind of magic power over Axl. It is just fanboy bullshit. Nothing has changed other than the size of their collective 401k’s and retirement plans. axl

yup, I totally agree. more or less, Slash and Duff are just another guys who joined the circus, no matter that they were there decades ago already.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Slash is really channeling DJ Ashba.

ZEIT ONLINE: Until mid-August you're still on tour with Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators. What plans do you have for the time afterwards?

Slash: When I get home, I'm going to sit down with the Guns N 'Roses guys and we're going to focus on a new album together.

Ashba: Well, we hope so. That’s our main focus.

ZEIT ONLINE: You have not worked on it yet?

Slash: No, but I know everyone involved really wants to make this album.
We talked about it, and...

Ashba: And there’s been more and more talk about getting in there before the end of the year, which I’m really excited about.

Slash: Axl already has a lot of stuff he's produced on his own. I think we're in great shape to get started.

Ashba: Axl, of course, has, I believe, two complete albums worth of songs already recorded.

Do they actually get canned answers in Axlspeak?

I am dying. Good stuff. The big difference however is the Slash and Duff are, Slash and Duff. If anyone can get Axl to do an album or IS them. Not saying he will, but the have a shot.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I am dying. Good stuff. The big difference however is the Slash and Duff are, Slash and Duff. If anyone can get Axl to do an album or IS them. Not saying he will, but the have a shot.

What he said. The difference this time is, it's Axl, Slash and Duff. The roadblocks to release – the record company bureaucracy, obstructionist managers trying to get the old band back together, etc – melt away in the face of that. The NITL-era band is a proven success, the record-breaking tour demonstrates that. Publicists don't have to wrestle with the awkward "Is it really GN'R?" questions. People will flock to buy and stream this record in a way that they simply wouldn't for the Ashba-era band, despite Axl's best efforts.

Furthermore, we know Axl has material ready to release, it was ready to release back in 2014/5 but it was nixed by the record label. We know that Axl's comfortable with Slash and Duff adding their own flourishes to Chinese Democracy-era songs – the reworked Better and TIL are evidence of that.

Ironically, the biggest stumbling block at this point is that Slash and Duff will probably want to contribute their own written material to the record. Axl would, I'm sure, be perfectly happy releasing "Chinese Democracy 2 with some overdubs", but the returning band members will want creative input too, which will slow the process down some.

Sky Dog wrote:

Please explain how this is different than say 94-96? The big three couldn’t get it done then either! More fanboy fluff. Last I checked the Uyi tour was a huge success too! Nobody holds sway over Axl but Axl. Sorry if facts and history don’t suit everyone’s personal agenda.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Well, Axl's chirpier and he owns the band, undisputedly. Slash and Duff are happy to be involved.

Means squat for an album, but the atmosphere in the band is prolly the best since... 1988?

Sky Dog wrote:

Hard to gauge how someone really feels when there is no communication with the outside world. He played nice while the money was rolling. I wonder how he feels about the wonder twins and their focus on “side projects” instead of 100% Gnr like him? Did Slash really need to immediately go do a lengthy tour to promote another lukewarm record at best? Why didn’t Slash call it a day with them and go all in on a new Gnr record? He appears to be the one delaying this alleged project. No accountability on his end?

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Hard to gauge how someone really feels when there is no communication with the outside world. He played nice while the money was rolling. I wonder how he feels about the wonder twins and their focus on “side projects” instead of 100% Gnr like him? Did Slash really need to immediately go do a lengthy tour to promote another lukewarm record at best? Why didn’t Slash call it a day with them and go all in on a new Gnr record? He appears to be the one delaying this alleged project. No accountability on his end?

Axl doesn’t put out an album in 11 years since CD, and now it’s Slash's fault...?

Slash admittedly went on tour and released an album so quickly, because he felt like he left the Conspirators guys hanging for 2.5 years while he toured the world with Guns.

Slash did it as soon as he saw a break in the GN’R tour cycle, because he cares about those guys, not because he wants to hold up the next Guns album. I imagine it’s the same with Duff’s new solo album. There’s probably zero happening with new GN’R music.

And as always, there’s only one guy holding up a new album, Axl.

Sky Dog wrote:

Then I guess Duff-Slash and Richard are all lying to us about a new Gnr record. Again, the only one not talking is Axl. The employees again are stirring the pot....further proving nothing has really changed in the Gnr new music world with the addition of Slash and Duff. I wasn’t blaming Slash or Duff. Just posing silly questions. I have no idea how Axl feels about anything or if any real genuine steps have been made in regards to actually releasing music.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

It's the same old story, same old song and dance, my friend.

See ya guys in 2020.

I'm over this band.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Hard to gauge how someone really feels when there is no communication with the outside world.

No rants on stage, Twitter or in press releases? Axl surely makes his ire well-known. He's been a lot more appeased now.

"Not In This Lifetime is now widely believed to be the second-highest-grossing tour of all time, having generated more than $500 million since it began three years ago."

Sky Dog wrote:

I wonder how he feels about the wonder twins and their focus on “side projects” instead of 100% Gnr like him?

Likely not much.

They'd need a week to record stuff which he'd tinker with from months to years. It's better for them to do their own thing while he muses on his next step.

As for Fortus, somebody should tell him Axl never knew if soon's the word tongue

Board footer