You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

A Private Eye wrote:

I thought season 1 was about as faithful a recreation of book 1 as you could have really hoped for.

Yea, the first 3 seasons I felt were pretty faithful. It’s when they ran out of book material, their inability to write became clear. I still can’t get passed Arya being stabbed in the guts, falling into raw sewage, and living to talk about it. And last season was completely ruined for me with Gendry sending a raven 2000 miles and not only Dany getting it, but flying on a dragon all the way there in the span of 12 hours or so. Whole thing could have been done if they had Bran send a raven to Dany in advance.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm holding off on reading the books until the series is over just to keep things straight for me.  It will be interesting to see how the stories and themes differ.

I guess to me the unrealistic nature of some of the events doesn't really bother me.  I notice some/most of them, but I try to just enjoy the story for what it is.  I do the same thing with Star Wars.  I mean sure, you can get all upset about things that aren't the way you wish they were done or you can just enjoy it for what it is. It's not perfect.  Some of the writing is bad. Almost all of it is unrealistic. It's just a story to distract you from real life for a little bit. I prefer that to much of what's going on in the real world these days.  I've watched the whole series start to finish 3 times now.  I may watch it all again before the new season starts...at the very least I'll rewatch the last season.  It's an interesting story with interesting characters.  I don't understand the need to drill down to every minute detail, but I'm not sure I like anything enough to dig into that level of detail.

Edit: now when I say I've watched it 3 times, I've had it on 3 times, but I am always doing something else at the same time...usually playing PS4 on the other TV. I can't sit there and watch anything for that long without doing something else...way too ADD for that even though I've never been diagnosed.

Randall Flagg

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm holding off on reading the books until the series is over just to keep things straight for me.  It will be interesting to see how the stories and themes differ.

I guess to me the unrealistic nature of some of the events doesn't really bother me.  I notice some/most of them, but I try to just enjoy the story for what it is.  I do the same thing with Star Wars.  I mean sure, you can get all upset about things that aren't the way you wish they were done or you can just enjoy it for what it is. It's not perfect.  Some of the writing is bad. Almost all of it is unrealistic. It's just a story to distract you from real life for a little bit. I prefer that to much of what's going on in the real world these days.  I've watched the whole series start to finish 3 times now.  I may watch it all again before the new season starts...at the very least I'll rewatch the last season.  It's an interesting story with interesting characters.  I don't understand the need to drill down to every minute detail, but I'm not sure I like anything enough to dig into that level of detail.

Edit: now when I say I've watched it 3 times, I've had it on 3 times, but I am always doing something else at the same time...usually playing PS4 on the other TV. I can't sit there and watch anything for that long without doing something else...way too ADD for that even though I've never been diagnosed.

But attention to detail and realism are core parts of the story. Sure, dragons and ice zombies. But outside of those fantastical elements, it strives for logic and realism. The dragons don’t have 4 legs and wings because Martin wanted to make them adhere to real animals and all mammals/reptiles with wings use them as an appendage.

And because the first 3 seasons are very faithful adaptations of the first 2 3/4 books, it’s reasonable to expect that same continiuity. It took Sam an entire season to go from the wall to old town, but a raven was able to alert Dany and she could travel that same distance in the span of a day. Jamie almost dies from infection, but Arya can have sewage introduced into her wounds and run like a terminator hours later. If any of us were stabbed and exposed to that much bacteria, even with 21st century medicine we’d probably still die even if we were given intravenous antibiotics immediately.

That’s my gripe. The lack of consistency and Hollywood bullshit they adopted once they ran out of material. Bronn shooting the scorpion at point blank range into a Dothraki is straight from a Schwarzenegger movie. Nothing like that happened until they ran out of book material.

Season 7 was visually stunning. Who couldn’t like that?  But when you realize a raven flew 2k miles and Dany flew 2k miles in less than a day, how can you not be taken out of it.

This show was supposed to be intelligent. That was one of the reasons so many people fell in love with it. And the last season was anything but intelligent writing.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

It's just a story, it's not real.  Of course its easier to write material from a source and of course it got worse without a source...its not their characters.   I choose to enjoy it for what it is instead of being disappointed in what it could be.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Oh don’t get me wrong. The first season seems to be incredibly faithful to what I’ve read of book 1 so far, but reading it is just a better experience. No matter how faithful on film, the details and insights you get in the book are just outstanding. It doesn’t hurt that Martin is a damn good writer. I love Tolkien, and this scratches that itch for me.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Gonna rewatch last season as a recap

Randall Flagg

So apparently the story for the entire season has leaked from the same guy who was right about season 7.  Avoiding reading these spoilers might be the most difficult demonstration of self-restraint I've ever performed.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

So apparently the story for the entire season has leaked from the same guy who was right about season 7.  Avoiding reading these spoilers might be the most difficult demonstration of self-restraint I've ever performed.

I’m trying hard. I did see that the actress who plays Arya said Season 7 has a lot of callbacks to Season 1. I’m trying to decide whether to rewatch Season 1 or 7. I don’t think I can binge all 7 seasons before April 14.

johndivney wrote:

What a snoozefest ep 1 of s8 was. 55mins of people meeting people theyd previously met. That episode was dumb and boring. Usually the show gets away with being one or the other but this was both. Emo Bran is great tho, more of him. Hopefully Bran/Night King kills them all.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I didn’t have a problem with a set up episode.

Board footer