You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

misterID wrote:

That's tough. Tyrion is a highlight. Arya might be my favorite. She feels far more human and like a kid. Same with Bran. Stamina is more interesting here than the last book. There's so little with Jon Snow, so that was surprising. His story seems to be picking up now, though.

I like the back story stuff also. Just read how the Targaryan Queen flew to the wall on her Dragon and was so impressed by the Nights Watch that she gave them all that extra land and stayed in the tower where Bran and the others are hiding out. The one thing I did like about the series was that they spent more time with Cersi and Robb.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Oh, and the deeper relationship with the wolves/warging and whatever it was when Jon saw Bran's face in the tree and spoke to him.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I might've messed up. I'm reading A Dance With Dragons instead of Crows, but I read they're really the same book just broken up and not a sequel. In any case, Jesus God, I hate Daario. The only thing worse is Dany when she's with Daario. Her pining over that douche every second page is just as tedious. George seems to be getting really long winded here. Thrones and Kings were great, easy reads. Maybe there's just more characters that I don't give a shit about.  Young Griff and Quentin Martell seem like throwaway characters. I guess the mystery is okay with the former, but he comes off as a less spoiled but an altogether lesser version of Joffery.

Hidden Text:

I do love the creepy psychic dwarf predicted the Mad King's line would produce the Prince who was promised. Of all the psychic predictions hers were right on the money. Still waiting for Wanda to say the giant.

misterID

misterID wrote:

The Ghost of Winterfell chapter is fucking amazing. That whole Reek POV is, actually.

With how bad Essos was in the series, the book is worse. I can't stand anything about Mereen. Harpy's are okay, The Tattered Prince, too, but you don't see any of them. Only Dany making terrible decision after terrible decision. Daario is a cunt who dresses like a medieval Willy Wonka mixed with a pimp. Ridiculous. Her chapters are basically Tiger Beat Slaver's Bay edition.

Oh, and Val is fantastic.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Okay, who do you think wrote the pink letter?

My guess? Mance.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:

Okay, who do you think wrote the pink letter?

My guess? Mance.

Seriously, check this guy out now that you’ve finished.

https://youtu.be/jwcuRwod0Xg

misterID

misterID wrote:

I didn't think there was anything significant about the WF crypts other than that's where Mance planned to hide out, ala Bran. Mance calling Jon Bastard all the time was a big tip off. My thought was that it was either a hidden message to Melisandre (who was there when the letter was read and then she vanished) or a trick to get Jon to go to Winterfell. Totally forgot about Robb naming Jon a Stark and Lord of Winterfell as his heir. Did any of those witnesses survive, though? And Mance was never supposed to go to WF, he was supposed to go to the river. How the hell did he end up at WF?

I don't think Jon was killed for planning to desert the Night's Watch to kill Ramsay, I think the plan was made the moment Tormund entered Castle Black with the wildlings, if not before that. The opportunity was perfect as he had Ghost locked up.

Randall Flagg

misterID wrote:

I didn't think there was anything significant about the WF crypts other than that's where Mance planned to hide out, ala Bran. Mance calling Jon Bastard all the time was a big tip off. My thought was that it was either a hidden message to Melisandre (who was there when the letter was read and then she vanished) or a trick to get Jon to go to Winterfell. Totally forgot about Robb naming Jon a Stark and Lord of Winterfell as his heir. Did any of those witnesses survive, though? And Mance was never supposed to go to WF, he was supposed to go to the river. How the hell did he end up at WF?

I don't think Jon was killed for planning to desert the Night's Watch to kill Ramsay, I think the plan was made the moment Tormund entered Castle Black with the wildlings, if not before that. The opportunity was perfect as he had Ghost locked up.

It's believed that Maege Mormont and the others are still alive, since it's mentioned in ADWD she's with her two other daughters.  So yes, they should have Robb's will, presumably naming Jon King in the North.  I'm inclined to think it's Mance as well, but he was supposed to go to WF.  He agreed to go there and rescue "Arya", though you know how that played out.  You should read the released Stannis Chapter from TWOW.  It really removes any notion Ramsay is the author.

What really keeps me going is what angle is Blood Raven playing?  Is he a good guy, or is he up to something much more sinister.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I like the theory Euron Greyjoy was supposed to be Bran but basically turned to the dark side. The "one eyed crow" I don't think is a coincidence, nor Bloodraven choosing a cripple now.

Researching Bloodraven his banner was a white Dragon with red eyes. Could he be orchestrating things for Jon? Mormont's Raven called Jon "King Snow" the day he died. Could BR have been watching Jon this whole time? Though, I think most ravens have some part of dead greenseers inside them, if I read that Bran chapter right where he warged into a crow and found the girl inside it. Bloodraven was also
Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Any coincidence Ghost is an albino like BR and discovered the Dragon glass? have a feeling Rickon has gone full Warg and is now one with Shaggy Dog.

Randall Flagg

misterID wrote:

I like the theory Euron Greyjoy was supposed to be Bran but basically turned to the dark side. The "one eyed crow" I don't think is a coincidence, nor Bloodraven choosing a cripple now.

Researching Bloodraven his banner was a white Dragon with red eyes. Could he be orchestrating things for Jon? Mormont's Raven called Jon "King Snow" the day he died. Could BR have been watching Jon this whole time? Though, I think most ravens have some part of dead greenseers inside them, if I read that Bran chapter right where he warged into a crow and found the girl inside it. Bloodraven was also
Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Any coincidence Ghost is an albino like BR and discovered the Dragon glass? have a feeling Rickon has gone full Warg and is now one with Shaggy Dog.

Yea, I fully agree Bloodraven was behind most of the story, at least with Jon.  He sent the direwolves, and he's warging Mormont's Raven during the election, among many other things.  Some people think he was warging the boar that killed Robert, and Robert taking the boar's eye certainly leads some credence to that, but fans have a tendency to put BR behind everything and I don't know if I want to go down that rabbit hole.  You should read the Dunk and Egg tales.  The 2nd book is really good and you get to see BR in his prime. 

I like the Euron theory, but I also think it would be more interesting if Euron was serving the Drowned God and GoT was really about the gods using mortals to fight their war.  You should read the sample Aeron chapter Martin has released for TWOW.  You get to see how truly evil and powerful Euron is.

Board footer