You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Best song so far?

FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:

Atlas at only 11%?

Yikes.

44 votes? Come on. More people than that log in every day.

Atlas is slightly above Hard School for me (though I really, REALLY, love the stripped down Going Down).

I don’t get the Atlas hate. It’s so UYI it’s not even funny. Personally like it much better than Catcher. The key change/solo is absolutely gorgeous.

Best song so far?

Atlas Shrugged 14%
Perhaps 33%
State of Grace 23%
Hardschool 28%
Silkworms 2%
Total votes: 57
misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think Hardschool has hit potential. It's nowhere near the best of the CD recordings, but it's a perfect reunion/comeback/Slash song

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I voted for Atlas, although Perhaps is a close 2nd and then Hardschool. State of Grace is growing on me, really picks up towards the end. I could never hear Silkworms again and be fine with that.

TimothyFirefly
 Rep: 0 

yeah Silkworm is eh... I think the live version of it was way better.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
faldor wrote:

I voted for Atlas, although Perhaps is a close 2nd and then Hardschool. State of Grace is growing on me, really picks up towards the end. I could never hear Silkworms again and be fine with that.

lol yeah Silkworms is in the "My World" level of awfulness for me.

like them all but I voted for Hardschool.  But the well produced version of Atlas is really catchy.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Atlas and Hard School are my favourites so far. Although there is something catchy about SoG.

Anybody else get a Fleetwood Mac vibe from Atlas or is that just me?

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I don’t know where to post this but these new versions of the prior leaks of Chinese Democracy songs are great. You can hear new details.

I’d love to hear the Rumbo versions and of course the later RTB sessions with Bucket.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:

Listening to all of these including the instrumental pieces confirms for me that we definitely didn't get the best songs with CD in 2008, but simply a collection of the leaked stuff with a few extras. The plan then clearly still must have been multiple discs with gems far better just than left-overs. With Perhaps, State Of Grace, Atlas, Zodiac, Quick Song and yes even Eye On You, there is enough great source material for another really, really promising disc. Because that's then not even including the other hyped songs (The General, Oklahoma/Berlin, Down By The Sea, Thyme, Ides Of March, Soul Monster, Seven etc.) or any of the unknown tracks that in '99 were maybe still in early development or  not even written yet, as I'm sure there's even more Bucket and more Robin stuff that haven't heard yet.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think the plan was always the first CD album was a setup for the second. This was never about one single album. I think we got what Axl intended, he just never finished it.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Marc Canter said CD always started with the title track, ended with Prostitute, and Axl knew what he wanted on it but he was flexible on some songs, i.e. the B-Sides. You can dig up his posts on MyGNR if you want the citation.

They're unconfirmed fan quotes but according to fans Axl said in 2001 that CD was going to be more heavy and Catcher was going to be on Album #3, It's possibly bullshit or things changed but I take quotes proximal to the release window more seriously than when he wasn't inspired to get the album released.

If you take into consideration his quotes about the label "throw it at the wall, see what sticks" you have rough but not unreasonable case for leaks influencing the final album.

Board footer