You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: Quick Song/Zodiac instrumentals

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

That's certainly true Axl S but that's all he needed at the time, although it's definitely cutting it close.

Here's one of my issues..

If the label was willing to green light OMG for a soundtrack, why not just greenlight a short album to follow? I mean ...fuck....he's on MTV promoting it and Live Era. Give him something to work with for fucks sake.

Hell, Woodstock wanted them to headline.

Pieces were falling into place.

Totally. Or hell even an EP, could even throw a well mixed acoutic KOHD on there for some continuity with the old band.

Axl isn't faultless but the label dropped the ball on this hard too.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

They clusterfucked it.

A lot of fans thought it was mostly song fragments until Bucket entered the coop and saved the day.

Now we see an album was taking shape.

One more thing...

In late 99-mid 00, a GNR album under no circumstances could've been ballad heavy. An album loaded with TIL, Blues, Maddy, etc. ain't cutting the mustard.

A short, tight album would've been perfect and also fits in with the musical landscape of the time.

James

James wrote:

CD
IRS
Quick Song
Atlas
Catcher
Hardschool
Riad
The Blues
TWAT
One more song

There you go. Locked and loaded.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
James wrote:

That's certainly true Axl S but that's all he needed at the time, although it's definitely cutting it close.

Here's one of my issues..

If the label was willing to green light OMG for a soundtrack, why not just greenlight a short album to follow? I mean ...fuck....he's on MTV promoting it and Live Era. Give him something to work with for fucks sake.

Hell, Woodstock wanted them to headline.

Pieces were falling into place.

I think they lucked out missing Woodstock. That last night went full bore into a rape riot.

There's no doubt a lot of folks had ulterior motives and set out to sink Chinese Democracy. But '06 was the perfect time to release it. I think anything from 2000-2004 would have been a disaster. Even Axl said he wasn't ready to tour then. I hate to rag on Ron, but that was when any hope for what that album could have been died. From 06-08 Axl tinkered that album to death. I think a lot went into Bucket leaving, but he was key to putting a new face to the band.

James

James wrote:

ID...it hadn't hit an iceberg until 2002. He seemed genuinely excited from 99 to 01. That was when to cash in the Chinese chips.

He was kicking ass in 06 performance wise but we were already past the perfect time to release it.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

CD
IRS
Quick Song
Atlas
Catcher
Hardschool
Riad
The Blues
TWAT
One more song

There you go. Locked and loaded.

Just throw Going Down in as this band's 14 Years. I'd maybe scratch QS off, only because even as late as 01 it still doesn't have vocals. But yeah, that list is pretty much their most complete songs by the looks of it in 00/01.

atlashrugs
 Rep: -6 

atlashrugs wrote:

i listened to the end of first atlas demo leak and it doesn't have added guitars at end. this new atlas demo leak from the disc has added guitars

James

James wrote:

Songs like Prostitute, Maddy,etc. would be in contention as well but like I mentioned, can't have it ballad heavy. Prostitute was considered one of his best songs so maybe move The Blues or TWAT out

Edit

Hadn't even thought of Going Down. Use it as a b side for the title track's single.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

One thing I think alot of us are forgetting is money. TBH I'd forgotten about it until someone posted a link to a post from about 12 years ago here. I think there was a scenario, which I believe to be true, where Axl was fronted tons of money, yet wanted to renogotiate his contract, since he blew thru the money he was fronted. And the record company drew a line in the sand, and said 'No'.

IMHO belief, Axl was given a few million (guessing here) $2 million, then it was up to $5, then $10, then $13, then the label dumped it with little promotion.  I'd guess around 2002, there was 5-7 mil invested, and it was gone. Label said no more, Axl wanted to be paid upon release, hence a standoff where Axl 'somewhat refused' to deliver it until the received a reworking of his payday (2nd payday, since they already fronted him). Label prolly said nope, make your money up on tours and radio play royalties.

Anyway, I think we're selling the record companies a bit short by saying Axl handed in this gem of an album and bonehead record company execs said "Nope, this won't sell. It's all about STP, RHCP, Limp Bizkit nowadays".

Feel free to disagree, but there's a bit more to it in my mind.

James

James wrote:

That infamous 2005 article went into those aspects of the saga and they weren't kind to say the least.

Those are valid points to take into consideration....but..."this won't sell"....I don't see why not. The 99-00 sessions are literally running the gamut of 90s trends.

Board footer