You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Stinson's 2004 comments...

James wrote:

I wanted to hear all the new stuff and I heard about six things that I hadn't heard finished yet, that were really mind-blowing. A few of the songs are pretty epic in length, but that's always been GN'R's thing, hasn't it? I don't think it's a particularly long album, but I think the six I heard are pretty epic. I mean they are just... fucking huge, you know [laughs]

The undertaking was pretty much a large collaboration between eight people, even a couple others who aren't around anymore, but maybe started with pieces of the old band or whatever.

There's a record coming - sooner rather than later - and six or seven of the songs are earth-shattering.

I recorded a little bitty thing [for CD] last week, for like a, sort of a quick little interlude to another song."

Safe to say that the six songs and interludes were unknown by fans at that point? These are some of the comments that fans mocked back then but make a lot more sense in hindsight now that we know he wasn't describing the songs we heard live 2001-02.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

But are there any long “epic” songs in this batch of leaks I’m not remembering? Nothing like Coma or Estranged length.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

The Stinson quote always struck me as curious. Finishing songs as late as 2004? Hmm.

I don’t think we’ve heard too many long songs. Prostitute is the longest one and TWAT got an addendum with the Buckethead solo.

I think there are longer songs in the vault but Tommy’s comments could be relative, 5:00-5:30 complex songs compared to 2-3 minute punk songs he played on with The Mats.

I always wanted CD to have interludes and such included.

James

James wrote:

Not length wise but I would consider Soul Monster epic in nature. Depending how far along Circus Maximus/Ides of March was in 2004, I'd place that in the same category as well.

Axl considers The General as a sequel to Estranged...so add that to the list.

That's 3.

Thyme was described as an epic.

So was Seven.

I would personally consider Oklahoma as mind blowing.

That's six.

James

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I always wondered what happened to the missing interludes.

AtariLegend wrote:

The person behind the I.R.S./TWAT/Better 06 leak claimed he had the discs since 04.

Wagszilla wrote:

The Stinson quote always struck me as curious. Finishing songs as late as 2004? Hmm.

"2004 is off to a busy start at The Village Recording Studios in West Los Angeles, where the synergy of pop, rock, commercial and film music making continues hot. [...] Guns N' Roses camped out cutting new tracks with producer/engineer Caram Costanzo and Pro Tools engineer Eric Caudieux." (The Village Recorder, 02/01/04)

AtariLegend wrote:
James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I always wondered what happened to the missing interludes.

Likely not related, but...

Slash wrote:

We did change the intro... that was actually just some idea, something that came actually from another piece of material, and it just somehow morphed into the intro for that song because it was so cool.

In reference to Better.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:
bigbri wrote:

But are there any long “epic” songs in this batch of leaks I’m not remembering? Nothing like Coma or Estranged length.

Elvis, Zodiac, Atlas, Perhaps, Quick Song and Rebel are all pretty big.
Elvis has something of that lilting dolphin Estranged thing.

Board footer