You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

Re: Rough Mixes Disc 2

dalethirsty wrote:

this version of sorry sounds like portishead featuring jerry cantrell

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:
benny wrote:
James wrote:

I still can't get over how amazing Sorry is.

This will be on repeat for awhile.

Bucket owned the album.

Bucket owned the rest of it.

Anyone really surprised?

bucket

Just imagine how much better the overall reception of CD would've been had this album been released in the early 2000s before the tracks were over-produced to the point there got to by 2008.

That’s the 14 million dollar question.

I think although musically and personal wise it was a much better time, we were in deep feud territory. In 2000 Axl was literally the asshole christ who forced Slash and the band to sign GNR over to him and he’s on stage with dreads and playing nu metal. There was no media support, no rec comp support, barely any fan support as one might know. Try saying you liked Madagascar or Riad in 2000. That didn’t start to melt until CD came out and Axl had found some more relatable members and touring without rec comp support for years. They toured CD to death to establish songs and Axl proved he could do it.

But in a way it’s wrong question. In 2000 the record would have been ranting in the hostility and certain songs like Silkworms would have their moment. But I think it would have been the end of new Guns without the full story being told. It ideally would set off a series of albums but it more likely would have been evidence Axl couldn’t make it without Slash, even with average sales. More power to the rec comp. Given Slash and Axl’s relationship it wouldn’t have been let’s do a reunion in 2002. Overall it’s never been about how good the material is, it’s this business oriented corporate media bias that has to be navigated with so much to lose and potentially nothing to gain.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Good post....but....

The media conspiracy is largely a myth, at least in that specific timeframe.

Media was welcoming him back with open arms in 1999 and again in 2001.

It started falling apart post 2002 implosion when CD became a pop culture joke.

wasted

wasted wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

this version of sorry sounds like portishead featuring jerry cantrell

I could see that Madagascar and Prostitute are more Massive Attack. Unfinished Sympathy inspires. Axl also used open sets with the theme from Luck which was Massive attack.

Splitting the Atom from Heligoland, kind of like Leonard Cohen meets trip hop dancehall.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

I also remember buzz among casual fans in 99 about how awesome a guitarist buckethead was.  There was, curiosity at least, in seeing what Axl could do with the new lineup.

wasted

wasted wrote:
RaZor wrote:

I also remember buzz among casual fans in 99 about how awesome a guitarist buckethead was.  There was, curiosity at least, in seeing what Axl could do with the new lineup.

I definitely went to a show in Leeds around 2000 something and people were turning up with KFC buckets in their heads. But that was festival crowds on a bill with The Prodigy and The Strokes. Axl said he’d be back next year after the great reception. Then the tour ended in a riot. Then go back to forums and it was this isn’t GNR. But watching Bucket do nunchucks to the Stars Wars theme you got the impression it was going to be great album.

James

James wrote:

To anyone skipping the already heard songs from this disc...

Quick Song is obviously a different mix entirely.

Something different about Zodiac too although I'm not digging through my phone to compare.

The dark vibe emanating from Sorry is insane.  It's like Bucket walked through a home invasion crime scene before recording it. Maybe pondering his fate and where he may or may not go.

Just brutal.

Like I said, deserved lyrics tackling a more serious subject. This song is a great example of how lyrics can truly make or break a song.

Good call Dale on Portishead. Their song Threads gives me similar heebie jeebies.

James

James wrote:

There's something weird going on with that Sorry solo.

Buckets playing is as smooth as a prom Queen's thighs.

Sorry solo....not so smooth.

I mean...it's probably him but is he intentionally trying to out-Finck the Finckster?

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

James I think Shacklers was inspired by horror movies with those sounds.

But yeah the intro to Shackler’s and solo on Sorry are really strange. One is choppy, the other not smooth. Could it be Scaturro? Finck? Another mystery...

Zodiac has more fills and a Robin solo from the sound of it and sounds a step slower. I can’t quite put my finger on that one.

James

James wrote:

I didn't even think of Scaturro.

Sorry and Shackler's demos may not even be GNR songs but a Giant Robot Production instead simply brought to the sessions.

The plot thickens....

Board footer