You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Rough Mixes Disc 2

James wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Cant believe we have all this stuff now, still cant digest it all theres so much. Me and my Elvis and Circus Maximus are my favourites so far.

I wonder what the acoustic song Axl mentioned in the chats is, from a later era of recording maybe?

It really is too much too process.

I'm almost to the point of it getting played out. We took two trips to Redding and this was the soundtrack on both trips. I had already been listening to the discs for hours a day.

Disc 2 breathed new life into it.

While I have obvious favorites, soon I'm going to bury all the chaff and just narrow it down to a couple discs worth. That's really all there is anyways.

I know one thing...

I'll never be listening to the 2008 album again. I don't listen to it anyways but the disc 1/2000 Intentions, an assortment of basically finished instrumentals, and the skwerl leaks will forever satisfy my cravings for Chinese.

While I already knew this, this latest batch of leaks pointed out even more how the actual album is unlistenable noise pollution.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:
James wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Cant believe we have all this stuff now, still cant digest it all theres so much. Me and my Elvis and Circus Maximus are my favourites so far.

I wonder what the acoustic song Axl mentioned in the chats is, from a later era of recording maybe?

I'm almost to the point of it getting played out. We took two trips to Redding and this was the soundtrack on both trips. I had already been listening to the discs for hours a day.

While I have obvious favorites, soon I'm going to bury all the chaff and just narrow it down to a couple discs worth. That's really all there is anyways.

I know one thing...

I'll never be listening to the 2008 album again. I don't listen to it anyways but the disc 1/2000 Intentions, an assortment of basically finished instrumentals, and the skwerl leaks will forever satisfy my cravings for Chinese.

While I already knew this, this latest batch of leaks pointed out even more how the actual album is unlistenable noise pollution.

I think it’s more that CD serves Axl’s vocals, getting the message across. Whereas other versions showcase the audio. There’s so much going on sonically that do you need vocals. Vocals are kind of corny but that’s the trade. Axl had the right instincts, almost too many.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
James wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I know one thing...

I'm working my way through it slowly, just dive into a random folder and listen to a couple of random songs, I think I get the feel of if I like them better.

I like the album versions but one thing that really suffered was the drums and bass, I suppose with so many layers they had to find a mix that allowed everything to be heard, but when you look at how many drum takes there was for songs its amazing they settled on that final mix for release.

James

James wrote:

A few days ago I did a listen to two versions of the title track from these discs, the skwerl leak, and the album version.

I cringed during the long intro and turned it off about 30 seconds into the actual song.

It's literally unlistenable.

I know I said it 11 years ago but I'll say it again....

How anyone in a position of power signed off on that is beyond me. I don't think they even listened to it. Both sides just wanted it to be over with.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

yup. the title track's intro on the album is just ridiculous and idiotic. the original intro on those discs makes me huge googsebumps every time I start listening to it. wtf were they thinking?

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I dont think the title track was ever intended to be the lead single, I think it got the nudge because of its name and they tried to sex it up a bit by padding it out. Lets remember that Axl boycotted the album release, maybe after a few months of it being out he accepted it for what it was and came to terms with it.
I'm now starting to think that the 2nd album never came out because Axl didnt want lesser musicians playing those songs, it seemed like Bumblefoot and DJ tried really hard to motivate Axl to record with them but he was having none of it, we thought he was lazy but now we know he was very productive at one point.

James

James wrote:

Not too smart of them to pad out a lead single with a minute long intro of white noise.

That's how you kill a single.

They tried to turn a short, to the point ass kicker into a mini-epic.

Zombux is right. That original little intro got the point across just fine.

I don't blame him one bit for his lack of interest in the post Bucket lineups. There's just nothing there to work with. Plus....

When you're sitting on songs like Oklahoma, Soul Monster, Quick Song, Zodiac, and Atlas, why bother?

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:
James wrote:

A few days ago I did a listen to two versions of the title track from these discs, the skwerl leak, and the album version.

I cringed during the long intro and turned it off about 30 seconds into the actual song.

It's literally unlistenable.

I know I said it 11 years ago but I'll say it again....

How anyone in a position of power signed off on that is beyond me. I don't think they even listened to it. Both sides just wanted it to be over with.

You mean Chi dem or the whole album? I don’t think anyone in management recomp Azzof cared, they literally cashed the check and went on holiday. But Axl obviously and Costanzo were paying attention.

Overall I think it’s one treatment of the songs, which kind of relates to leaks and bootlegs, that’s all, it was more the current day production favoring form. I think that’s what Ezrin was talking about too, he was listening to intricate exqusite dynamic material and not hearing the uniformity that he pushed with KISSand has permeated the whole industry. Nothing in numetal or interscope is as loose as early CD versions.

Specific to Chi Dem the tightening the form really holds the song together, streamlines it, but it loses a lot of the punk energy it had early on. Slash worked pretty well with the album version, loosening up the riff but keeping the tight dynamics. There’s almost electronica feel to Chi dem on the album. Again the whole Queen over the top style of a GNR event album is the a big factor to what will happen to Atlas or Perhaps too. Look at what happened to the raw music of Sorry. A lot was lost for it to be a uniform big power ballad. It’s all there under the surface but it’s presented as this big bulletproof wall of sound.

I would say it’s pretty hard to find common ground between prof rock Bucket and Detroit Rock City. That was CD’s mission statement maybe. Kiss Zeppelin is going to alienate everyone.

James

James wrote:

I was referring to the title track.

It simply has too much going on for what it is. Only thing missing is Miss Piggy on the tuba...

And she's probably buried in the mix.

One thing did like however small added to the album was the brief crowd noise at the beginning of Riad. Fans had spent years whining about the crowd noise on the bootlegs.

Someone had a sense of humor.

James

James wrote:

Look at what happened to the raw music of Sorry. A lot was lost for it to be a uniform big power ballad.

Now that is an outrage.

Too many cooks in the kitchen with the head chef listening to that demo thinking about Slash and everyone else once again turning a song into something it's not.

It's the kinda music that makes you stare up at the Milky Way spiral pondering your fate in a cold, heartless universe.

"I kicked your ass like I said that I would...."

3d3eaa.jpg

No one knew when to leave it well enough alone.

The Blues another example. The attempt to morph it into a lukewarm REO Speedwagon ballad is another sign of losing the plot.

To paraphrase Fred Sanford....

How many times can this plot get lost?

Board footer