You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: The Best of Rough Mixes Disc 4, Elimination Round 1

Axl S wrote:
Pacha wrote:
James wrote:

You're right....disc 4 is grade A stuff and when these discs were still in the process of leaking, I thought this one deserved to be the finale....not disc 2.

Still felt the same way after hearing them.

Nothing is garbage IMO.

Thyme is basically a song fragment and difficult to judge without hearing PRL-Thyme fleshed out more.

Soul Monster is a monster. A Buckethead epic brought to the table and obviously shot up the A list. Shocked that other than vocals, it's already finished in 2000.

Circus Maximus/Ides/Seven

Definitely big gun material. Dizzy wasn't lying.

D Tune and Curly Shuffle are the two surprises on the disc. They're verging on Soundgarden tracks.

As It Began is definitely something that got another title at some point.

Is it confirm that Seven is Circus Maximus??

Not confirmed but highly suspected with good reason. It may at the very least be the basis for what becomes Seven.

Vote off your least favourite track

Me & My Elvis 0%
Circus Maximus 0%
D Tune 0%
Curly Shuffle 0%
Nothing 11%
As It Began 6%
Thyme 83%
Total votes: 18

AtariLegend wrote:

It fits the description of Ides of March.

It does not fit the description of Seven imo.

Pacha
 Rep: 0 

Pacha wrote:

When axl answered about possible song names, he included both names (IOM and Seven). That makes me think that it could be two different songs

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Pacha wrote:

I only heard them a couple of times. I find it boring to listen instrumental music, even if there are good ideas there.

It's easy to forget that most GNR fans(most music fans) don't give a rat's patootie about instrumentals.

Us Bucket fans do love instrumentals and years ago we speculated that Axl was probably sitting on plenty of his stuff. It wound up being true.

As far as Axl confirming song titles, all he did was copy/paste legit song titles that were listed in the question.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

This may sound terrible but in a few cases on these leaks I have preferred Not having Axls voice on them!

James

James wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

This may sound terrible but in a few cases on these leaks I have preferred Not having Axls voice on them!

Me too and I'll up the ante....

If he brought terrible lyrics to songs like Oklahoma, Soul Monster, and Quick Song, I'd rather consider them complete as instrumentals as the band is on fire.

I always said Riad would work better as an instrumental and probably should've been released as one.

A further dive into the vault reinforces this.

It can't be easy for a singer, especially one so talented yet such a spotty work ethic, having to walk into a studio with finished tracks sitting there waiting for his final ingredient.

No offense to him but he may not have had it in him to complete some of them.

James

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

It fits the description of Ides of March.

It does not fit the description of Seven imo.

I don't think it's Seven either but I'll say one thing....

Apex and sp1at make a good case for it.

Sky Dog wrote:

I voted off Nothing and I really need vocals and lyrics but not the ones on Nothing. Awful. tongue

Sky Dog wrote:

My baseball number was 7 so it means something to me! However, I think Circus Maximus is Ides of March.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
James wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Me too and I'll up the ante....

If he brought terrible lyrics to songs like Oklahoma, Soul Monster, and Quick Song, I'd rather consider them complete as instrumentals as the band is on fire.

I always said Riad would work better as an instrumental and probably should've been released as one.

A further dive into the vault reinforces this.

It can't be easy for a singer, especially one so talented yet such a spotty work ethic, having to walk into a studio with finished tracks sitting there waiting for his final ingredient.

No offense to him but he may not have had it in him to complete some of them.

I think it was probably far more comfortable to twiddle the knobs every night with a cigar and a bottle of brandy rather than lay down vocal tracks. We all do it, rather than focus on what really matters we veer towards the ‘easy’ jobs. Axl needs to read ‘eat the frog’

Board footer