You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: Terminator : Dark Fate

Man, I was disappointed in this movie. The story and logic just didn’t make sense or resonate with me. Anyone else see it and enjoy it?

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Man, I was disappointed in this movie. The story and logic just didn’t make sense or resonate with me. Anyone else see it and enjoy it?

Aw man, that's tough to hear. I plan to see it and was worried it might not hold up. I feel the original two Terminators are among the best and most underrated sci-fi movies ever made.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

It got a pretty good audience score on rotten tomatoes, 85%.  I haven't watched it, will probably wait for the DVD.  I'm sure I'll like it though,  I liked the last one, Genysis, and my expectations aren't super high.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Aw man, that's tough to hear. I plan to see it and was worried it might not hold up. I feel the original two Terminators are among the best and most underrated sci-fi movies ever made.

I wouldn't call the first 2 underrated.  The first one has a critic's score of 100% on rotten tomatoes, and an audience score of 89%. (I guess you can argue that it's underrated by the general audience, but 89% is a pretty good score)  The second has both a critic's & audience score in the 90's. And both movies regularly show up on lists of the best scifi & action movies.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:

Looks like it's going to be a box office bomb - I guess it's a good thing that rumors of a GNR song being on the soundtrack were greatly exaggerated. 

It's funny, and awful, but this is the 3rd time they've tried to kickstart a new franchise, and failed.  Both Salvation & Genysis were meant to be the first movie of a new trilogy,  and both times it didn't happen.  Looks like it's going to happen again.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:

This looks good and probably the only movie I’ll try to see in a theatre. Kind of want to see The Joker but it might not happen. The days run away like wild posts down an endless stream.

PotatoSalad
 Rep: 0 

PotatoSalad wrote:

I'll watch it when it's out on Blu-ray.  I am disappointed that there wasn't any new GNR music for the movie because GNR and Terminator go hand in hand.  No clue how the quality of the movie itself is, but the lack of GNR music in James Cameron's return to the series (as producer) was a missed opportunity.

This isn't the most popular opinion but I enjoyed Terminator 3 and Genysis.  The first two will probably always be the best and Terminator 2 made anything after that completely unnecessary, but I see Terminator 3 and Genysis like most other Arnold stuff: fun action movies.  For all the bashing Terminator 3 and Genysis got from people I wonder where they'd have liked to see the series go given Terminator 2's ending.  I think the only place you could go after that was the route that Terminator Salvation took with it being in the future during the war.

wasted

wasted wrote:

3 was fine. Problem is it lost the basic Terminator formula, it was like a road movie. Genesis was fun but I think people are more into the whole franchise story. Salvation was like a War movie not a Terminator movie. So Dark Fate could be a Genesis type movie but with less back story confusion. Honestly I think DF looks great. As long as I’m not thinking what the fuck is going on it should be good.

wasted

wasted wrote:

I almost got a ticket online but then decided to wait. I might just watch T2 again and order a pizza.

wasted

wasted wrote:

Ah I went to see it. They got me. It’s in no way worthy of the first two. But if I had to see one of these CGI comic book movies this might as well be it.

Spoilers but you can’t really spoil anything this dumb.

It was fun in parts and didn’t take itself too seriously all the time which was kind of the problem overall. The whole idea of Sarah Connor being sent texts from Arnie (who is living in the woods with a human family) so that she can kill in coming terminators wasn’t the worst idea but they played like it was a joke so it felt clunky. Kind of like the movie. Too much talking, too many flashbacks, too much explaining, too many chicks! Everything should have been grittier and more downplayed, okay the are going throw in a girl power thing but they could have streamlined the whole thing so it wasn’t obvious. The audience aren’t completely stupid, they don’t have to explain everything. Even the dialogue and one liners need editing. Arnie said his line too early but also too late cos Sarah Connor had already done it.

Also music wasn’t used enough. Every time the Terminator gets up the music should play. And there should have been a rock song chase scene. I wanted Hardschool to start playing as the truck falls out of the sky and it should land and keep moving. The Terminator should chase on a bike. There was no dramatic momentum to it and all the characters were bumping into each other to help. Sarah Connor could have kept her distance and been much more of a mystery until she found Arnie who then could have been more decisive. But they all just pitched in like it was camping trip. In the end they were like an Avengers style team of superhero protectors, each one taking a turn. All of them tackle the Terminator at the end.

What I didn“t get was that Dani seemed younger in the future when she saved the augmented human who was sent to save her. Then at the end Dani says she will be ready when come to kill the augmented chick who is sent back from 2042 to save her. Surely they will just come for her again. So they set up another movie. Then the duh-du duh du-duh music plays. Everything was kind of off timing wise.

Overall if you see it on tv or just catch a glimpse of it it has a lot of the component parts of a Terminator movie but it lacked the drive and momentum. Or horror of T1 or action of T2, it was just a fun movie full of Terminator visuals. They just made a CGI movie when they needed Rick Rubin to take them back to 1991. I guess time moves on without you.

Board footer