You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: US Politics Thread

misterID wrote:

Okay, usually I take these things with a grain of salt, but a few trustworthy news sources are saying Trump is planning a huge comeback tv show with Mark Burnett, meaning he isn't looking to stay in office even if he's re-elected. A lot of talk is that he's going to drop Pence for Nikki Haley. Her sudden media push defending Trump really has me thinking there's a major swerve coming. Haley could be a game changer, imo.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
misterID wrote:

Okay, usually I take these things with a grain of salt, but a few trustworthy news sources are saying Trump is planning a huge comeback tv show with Mark Burnett, meaning he isn't looking to stay in office even if he's re-elected. A lot of talk is that he's going to drop Pence for Nikki Haley. Her sudden media push defending Trump really has me thinking there's a major swerve coming. Haley could be a game changer, imo.

Pence gives him the evangelical vote, though. You risk losing that by tossing him into the proverbial trash heap, no?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

bigbri wrote:
misterID wrote:

Pence gives him the evangelical vote, though. You risk losing that by tossing him into the proverbial trash heap, no?

What other choice do they have?  Support the far left loons who are supporting infanticide in all but name, because god forbid they say a 3rd trimester abortion is too far.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:
misterID wrote:

What other choice do they have?  Support the far left loons who are supporting infanticide in all but name, because god forbid they say a 3rd trimester abortion is too far.

Oh, I dunno. Not voting. Voting third party. Write-in.

shutout52
 Rep: 0 

shutout52 wrote:
bigbri wrote:
misterID wrote:

Evangelicals will vote for the R candidate regardless. You could put Stalin out there with an R after his name and they'll contort themselves to come up with a "logical" defense of him as their political savior.

As for replacing Pence with Haley, and then stepping down even if re-elected, what about a last-minute decision not to run for re-election and seeing a Pence-Haley ticket? The Democrats have been focusing so much on taking down Trump instead of attempting to promote themselves as having a superior platform... what would they be left with if there was no Trump to take down? You can only do so much promoting of yourself via a "We're Not That Guy" strategy. Ask John Kerry how well that works.

Meanwhile, Pence could (should?) be sitting there quietly preparing for this possibility in the background, and he could step right out and attack everything the Democrats could throw at him-- which wouldn't be much because their preparation has all been for a fight against what would then be the wrong candidate. That's why actual, legitimate Republicans (as opposed to Trump-Uber-Alles Republicans) should look at removal via impeachment as being far from the worst thing in the world, but rather a potentially positive strategy for their party.

That said, fuck 'em all, I wouldn't vote for either of those three; and the Democrats have yet to embrace anyone worth a damn. I liked John Delaney, but the lunatic fringe of the party will never embrace his centrism.

misterID

misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:
misterID wrote:

He has like 90% approval with Evangelicals. Does he really need Pence for that?

Randall Flagg

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Oh, I dunno. Not voting. Voting third party. Write-in.

We saw how well that worked in 2016.  I think evangelicals are just as looney as the idiots who cry about climate change, meanwhile they have multiple children and enjoy 1st world luxury.  But abortion is their issue.  Biden was just denied communion for his support of abortion, and Sanders and Warren celebrated the infanticide laws passed in VA, NY and IL.  I don't know what third party candidate is going to make abortion and Jesus their issue.

(For the record, I'm totally down with infanticide and euthanasia for those who any decent person would agree is appropriate)

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
misterID wrote:

So how does Mark Burnett/reality tv factor into all this?  trump wins 2020 then resigns?!  Leaving Haley as prez?

Could be the GOPs way out of this. Get trump & pence outta there asap.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Yeah, I see him walking away at some point, if he doesn't lose.

Randall Flagg

Trump’s ego is too big to walk away unless he absolutely has to. Unless the Senate turns on him, he’s not going anywhere.

I don’t see him ever removing Pence. He’s the only stable figure in the administration. Though Haley joining Trump, and him winning, sets her up nicely for 2024. Especially if Democrats don’t learn that progressive politics don’t win national elections. Though Buttigieg could be an Obama type if he runs for governor or Senator in the interim.

Board footer