You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Declan94
 Rep: -8 

Re: The Best of Rough Mixes Disc 3, Final Round

Declan94 wrote:
huntermc wrote:

I had to vote against Oklahoma because we've waited so long to hear the full Hardschool after years of being cock-teased by the Checkmate snippet, and the song we got was definitely worth the wait. But Oklahoma is still pretty damn good, and maybe I'd feel differently if I could hear the final version with vocals.

mister you better unvote right now I want to see what happens when a tie happens on these polls

Vote off your least favourite track

HARDSCHOOL 33%
OKLAHOMA 67%
Total votes: 24
PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Voted off Oklahoma because it doesn't have vocals. axl

Same, it's ok but I think people are leaning on the 'hype' it had in the past. It's good, nothing mond-blowing.  Without vocals it's an instrumental song. Sounds like old UYi stuff in a good way (YCBM), but without vocals there really isn't much competition.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

dp

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
wasted wrote:

Hardschool sounds like Crash Diet 2.

To me it's like a sequel to Shadow of Your Love.

It's also another one of the Village sessions tracks that makes me wonder if its origins are from the 1994-97 sessions.

One other thing.....On the disc it says "Nu Axl" so this specific track had at least one previous vocal take.

wasted wrote:

I do prefer the production of Oklahoma

everything about it is monstrous. I wish CD(the album) had its sound.

If any song ever needed him to bring his A game to the table, it's Oklahoma.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Voted off Oklahoma because it doesn't have vocals. axl

Same, it's ok but I think people are leaning on the 'hype' it had in the past. It's good, nothing mond-blowing.  Without vocals it's an instrumental song. Sounds like old UYi stuff in a good way (YCBM), but without vocals there really isn't much competition.

It's mind-blowing to me and to the extent I'm happy with it as is.... although obviously it needs Axl.

As I've mentioned before, it sounds like Soundgarden meets A Flock of Seagulls.

Actually...other than the story about what initially inspired it and the song title popping up in the early years of the saga, there was no hype. No band members ever talked about it.

If memory serves me correctly, after 99-00 it was never mentioned again until Axl said it had been renamed Berlin in 2008...and not a peep since.

What really put the spotlight on it for hardcores is the fact it was almost performed at HOB in 2001. That was also a double edge sword to an extent....

Was it actually Riad?  (Obviously not)

If Riad could replace it and it's dropped as an alternate, what did it say about its quality?

Now that we've heard it instrumentally, we know that they were smoking crack for dropping it.  tongue

Sky Dog wrote:

To clarify, I like Oklahoma better if we went Hardschool instrumental vs Oklahoma instrumental. However, since we have vocals and I like the lyrics, Hardschool gets the nod. As crazy as Ax is and the song is about something he found ironic, who knows what kind of lyrics we get out of Berlin! axl

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Oklahoma was uninteresting  to me.  Hard School filled the void left by that teaser dropped so long ago, makes me sad theres be so little recognition, its classic old guns meets new guns with amazing Axl vocals, its all I could have wanted.

Lol I prefer Checkmate as a title even after hearing it 9

Sky Dog wrote:

James, I am not sure Axl dropped anything. Visions of 2 albums, etc

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:

Hardschool is a classic GNR opener like RNDTH whereas Oklahoma is slightly slower like Dust N Bones or Bad Obsession. Both are kind of more mature and arty. Like there’s spacey melancholy parts in both.

I think if Oklahoma was finished it will be more of a grower, maybe like Better is to Chi dem.

Side 1
Hardschool
Berlin
Atlas Shrugged
Perhaps
State of Grace
Ides of March
Soul Monster

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

James, I am not sure Axl dropped anything. Visions of 2 albums, etc

The question is was CD II ready to go on release of CD. And the rec comp did the Best Buy deal which was only for 1 cd

so they put all the leaked stuff from D1 on there and added the great stuff like ITW, Shackler’s, Sorry from D2. Throw in TIL and a newly finished track like Scraped.

Then CD II tracks were basically just sitting there for a 2010 release as Axl hinted at but then realized it wasn’t going to happen as CD didn’t go postal on release.

These tracks (CD II) must have had parts added by Ron and Frank and been digitally edited by Constanzo.

Board footer