You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Best of Rough Mixes Disc 2, Round 2

AtariLegend wrote:

Vote for your least favourite track. The track with the most votes will be eliminated.

As far as the instrumentals go, try to imagine the track finished with vocals.

This is based on Rough Mixes Disc 2 only, not any other demo. There will be no tie breaker, unless there's a mass 7 way tie or something equally absurd.

Voting closes Saturday at 13:00 GMT.

Vote off your least favourite track

EYE ON YOU 11%
IF THE WORLD 5%
MUSTACHE 0%
QUICKSONG 5%
ZODIAC 13 0%
TONTO 21%
SHANKLER'S REVENGE 58%
I'm SORRY 0%
Total votes: 19
James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Eye on You.

I was about to post in the other thread but I'll just post it here....

jimmythegent wrote:
Declan94 wrote:
huntermc wrote:

I like the instrumental with the heavier guitar better as a Buckethead song, but I think the album version works better as a GNR track.

who plays the solo on the album version? the album solo sounds weaker and the instrumental sounds heavier and has different effects on it

Pretty sure its Buckethead and it's an album highlight.

I know what you mean - the demo sounds choppier which leads me to think Finck. 

Which makes me wonder if Uncle Axl had BH re-do an earlier Finck incarnation of it? Nice note selection but the fluidity of the playing on CD of the Sorry solo is sublime

While I don't have proof obviously I'd wager my left nut that it's not even GNR.

It's a "Giant Robot Production"....Buckethead, Brain, and Pete Scaturro.

There are no distinctive GNR member 'signatures'.  The odd sound of the solo is definitely a head scratcher for sure but they may have specifically aimed for the abrasive sound.

I wish the village sessions had leaked in that 2003-05 period when Brain answered fan mail because it raises many questions about the origins of tracks and the shadow lineups concept.

AtariLegend wrote:

If the World was clearly finished by 2000, probably 1999.

Which still blows my mind.

Give the world a taste of that.....NOT Oh My God

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Shankler's Revenge, it becomes one of the better CD songs later but in this state it just sounds like a Bucket instrumental and not a particularly interesting one at that.

Declan94
 Rep: -8 

Declan94 wrote:

you idiots really think that eye on you is better than shanklers?

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:

I like Mustache and Tonto but they haven’t made as much as an impression as Shacklers, Eye or the rest so I”ll pick one of those at this point.

PotatoSalad
 Rep: 0 

PotatoSalad wrote:

I'm just curious what made them go from Shankler's Revenge to Shackler's Revenge.

James

James wrote:
PotatoSalad wrote:

I'm just curious what made them go from Shankler's Revenge to Shackler's Revenge.

Considering the fact that the song Shackler exists outside of the GNR universe, most definitely a typo.

PotatoSalad
 Rep: 0 

PotatoSalad wrote:

That's pretty cool!  I just looked on Amazon and they don't have it in their digital store, which sucks since I now have several $1 no rush shipping credits to spend.  Instead I'll bookmark that and save the credits up to get Pawnshop Guitars like you said I should.

Declan94
 Rep: -8 

Declan94 wrote:
James wrote:
PotatoSalad wrote:

Considering the fact that the song Shackler exists outside of the GNR universe, most definitely a typo.

[/embed]
were there any buckethead pikes recorded during gnr studio time? or intended for gnr?

James

James wrote:
PotatoSalad wrote:

That's pretty cool!  I just looked on Amazon and they don't have it in their digital store, which sucks since I now have several $1 no rush shipping credits to spend.  Instead I'll bookmark that and save the credits up to get Pawnshop Guitars like you said I should.

It's weird...yet par for the course that solo projects from ex members are difficult to find... sometimes impossible to actually buy.

Even worse before YouTube. Duff's old albums used to be so rare if you did find em on eBay, they were like a hundred bucks.

Declan94 wrote:

were there any buckethead pikes recorded during gnr studio time? or intended for gnr?

Yes.

What is arguably his best album (Electric Tears) was recorded in the middle of his tenure in the band. Hindsight tells us it might have been recorded on GNR's dime.

Intended for GNR? The snapshot of the Village sessions we got tells us Bucket and those associated with him did bring songs to the table, in some cases like Dub Suplex and Devious Bastard, already finished tracks that don't even appear to really be meant for Chinese.

Board footer