You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: New U2 single 'Ahimsa'

James wrote:

When did they start releasing deep cuts as lead singles?  16

I didn't even know they had an album coming out. I'm out of the pop culture loop completely.

I'll definitely check it out but I guess we're long past the point of Vertigo type singles bashing us over the head.

Sucks getting old.

I hope there is something decent on it as it could potentially be their last album. They're not getting any younger.

I'd like Metallica to crank out one more album too.

Declan94
 Rep: -8 

Declan94 wrote:
James wrote:

When did they start releasing deep cuts as lead singles?  16

I didn't even know they had an album coming out. I'm out of the pop culture loop completely.

I'll definitely check it out but I guess we're long past the point of Vertigo type singles bashing us over the head.

Sucks getting old.

I hope there is something decent on it as it could potentially be their last album. They're not getting any younger.

I'd like Metallica to crank out one more album too.

anyone but U2 they fucking put me to sleep idk who is more boring? Radiohead or U2?

Sky Dog wrote:

Neither...you are the boring one.

That being said, Sunday Bloody Sunday that is not. Awful. Bono and Axl should both just admit they are done creatively and just be content that someone will still pay big bucks to see their old asses rock the classics. axlwink

James

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Neither...you are the boring one.

That being said, Sunday Bloody Sunday that is not. Awful. Bono and Axl should both just admit they are done creatively and just be content that someone will still pay big bucks to see their old asses rock the classics. axlwink

I used to think Billy Joel was crazy in 1992 for essentially saying he's creatively spent and won't be doing albums anymore.

In hindsight you gotta respect it. He knew if he kept going, the only direction was down.

The world missed out on God knows how many Billy Joel albums...but they would've been mediocre Billy Joel albums.

On the other hand....we have acts like the Stones who do an album a decade to mix things up a bit....but damn...their last album of blues covers a huge disappointment.

I do agree that Axl is creatively done...that much is obvious. It is what it is. Having said that, he/they need one more album to bookend their career/discography. 

87-93 the meat and potatoes

One album to represent the CD madness

One album for the reunion era

Even if we get an album, it's not going to change much. The dynamic won't change. It'll just be a touring juggernaut with an album.

I wish all these acts could do one solid, final album as not just a bookend to their careers, but to our lives. We grew up listening to all these guys. Metallica's last album was damn good. If God forbid it's their last album, not a bad way to go out.

I also understand why they don't. Nobody is going to listen after they've heard it once, if at all.  At most, one new song will be added to any setlists. Gone are the days of U2 performing half of the new album at every tour stop.

It's not what people are there for anymore.

Sky Dog wrote:

Yep. Agree. One more album to clean up the mess. Then, you have a UYI boxset, CD boxset, and you’re done!

PotatoSalad
 Rep: 0 

PotatoSalad wrote:

If GNR does do a final album do you think that's it for Axl completely or would he finally decide to do his solo projects which he said were more instrumental and on the film score side?  I like what you said James, there really could be at least three sets with the pre-breakup material, the CD era recordings, and then a new reunion era  release.  Maybe if after that Axl did his solo stuff he would release more since not having the GNR burden on him.  Who knows, giving him artistic pursuits outside of GNR might recharge him and could be beneficial to new GNR material down the road.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:

This does seem a little tacked on. The last real era was the No Horizon album then they did that Apple sell out album. At this point you should be dipping bread into wine while you can.

James

James wrote:

Half of No Line On the Horizon was incredible. I REALLY thought they were on the verge of another magical moment in their careers...and they hinted at it with brief mention of an immediate follow up...but it all went to shit and in reality No Line should've been their swan song.

If GNR does do a final album do you think that's it for Axl completely or would he finally decide to do his solo projects which he said were more instrumental and on the film score side?

No....the ship sailed long ago on any post-GNR career for Axl. It is what it is. He wasted too many years on Chinese...and then wasted too many years with that final CD lineup.

I said it many years ago....had he played his cards right in his late 30s-late 40s he could've set himself up to be this generations Rod Stewart.

If we're lucky....we've got one monster GNR album left.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
James wrote:

No....the ship sailed long ago on any post-GNR career for Axl. It is what it is. He wasted too many years on Chinese...and then wasted too many years with that final CD lineup.

I said it many years ago....had he played his cards right in his late 30s-late 40s he could've set himself up to be this generations Rod Stewart.

IF Guns does release an album, I think Axl could have a post career as basically a pianist with some songs. Maybe an album of just him & piano, then a song for a movie soundtrack, then maybe an album with a small band around him backing him. Maybe a vault album. Something along those lines, like an Elton John. Rod Stewarts a fairly good analogy.

I agree he wasted too much time on CD esp post 2008/2009. Should've cut the cord once Robin left. Not saying he was the glue, just, it was over.

James

James wrote:

Bucket bailing was a sign the projects creative well was bone dry and it was going nowhere.

Robin bailing was a sign the album's release was going to be a clusterfuck and wasn't worth the bother.

I wish they had both bailed in 2004.

Board footer