You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Re: US Politics Thread

Scabbie wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I think we killed this guy by mistake.  Probably thought it was a caravan of more protesters, or we had bad intel, but it totally sounds like we're making up reasons we killed someone we weren't planning on killing.

The Hellfire missiles were intended for protestors? There is no way those missiles were intended for anyone other than the target in my opinion.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I’m not overly concerned. I know a lot of people have naive views about foreign policy. Iran is a threat that is best resolved  prior to gaining nukes. Case and Point, North Korea. Iran has repeatedly attacked our interest, equipment, and personnel. The guy Obama had in the White House was standing outside the crowd firebombing our embassy - which is US soil for those who forget.

I don’t see how Obama clipping Bin Laden on Pakistani soil was great (Pakistan has nukes), but Trump clipping Soleimani on Iraqi soil whom was actively working to harm us (versus hiding in a fortress for 10 years) is a miscalculation.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I don't wanna say one should give fair warning, heaven forbid all the Repubs come at me with zingers like 'Lead From Behind' and "Flip-Flop', however Bin Laden was a known, and announced target. DOA for years. To just go in and bomb a dude out either A. You better be ready to state specifically what that dude did, or B. You better be ready for massive retaliation.

We're been at odds with Iran for years. Why'd we just go in & wipe out one of their generals now?  What 'threat' was this guy onto. The public is asking & has a right to know.

Randall Flagg

Never mind

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I don’t see how Obama clipping Bin Laden on Pakistani soil was great (Pakistan has nukes), but Trump clipping Soleimani on Iraqi soil whom was actively working to harm us (versus hiding in a fortress for 10 years) is a miscalculation.

Major difference is one is a terrorist and the other is one of the most senior military official of another sovereign nations. Creates much more of a diplomatic crisis than offing Bin Laden did.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

So the reason this administration went ahead without Congressional approval was that the 2002 approval to topple Hussein gave them blanket coverage to do what they want in Iraq.

Still.

17 years later.

This was confirmed by 2 Republican Senators.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/08/politics … index.html

Randall Flagg

PaSnow wrote:

So the reason this administration went ahead without Congressional approval was that the 2002 approval to topple Hussein gave them blanket coverage to do what they want in Iraq.

Still.

17 years later.

This was confirmed by 2 Republican Senators.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/08/politics … index.html

Totally agree.  Republicans bitched about this under Obama, with some bipartisan support.  Now Democrats are bitching about it, with some bipartisan support.  My only concern is that we can't allow partisan bickering to impede action in the defense of our nation.  I don't want someone like AOC having the final say in whether we protect our country from a foreign attack.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Obama took out a foreign General?

Randall Flagg

PaSnow wrote:

Obama took out a foreign General?

Obama labeled him a terrorist in 2011.  He killed many terrorists with drone strikes.  He killed many military leaders through Drone Strikes. Many, many more than Trump has. And Democrats refused to even consider taking back the War Powers he had.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/n … cna1113236

If you're going to be a contrarian and take the viewpoint of whatever Pelosi is saying today, at least be informed on the past.  Obama assassinated an American citizen on the soil of a country Congress hadn't authorized him to use military forces on.  Crickets.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Ok Ill bite, who was the American citizen Obama had killed on foreign soil?

And as Axl S stated, theres a big difference between killing a rogue independant  terrorist versus killing a state official. Its like killing Donald Rumsfeld vs killing the Unibomber or the Bundy ranch folks.

Board footer