You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: US Politics Thread

PaSnow wrote:

Ok Ill bite, who was the American citizen Obama had killed on foreign soil?

And as Axl S stated, theres a big difference between killing a rogue independant  terrorist versus killing a state official. Its like killing Donald Rumsfeld vs killing the Unibomber or the Bundy ranch folks.

If you're truly unaware of who Obama killed, that's a serious problem. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_al-Awlaki

or his 16-year old American son who was killed by Obama's drone strike 2 weeks later

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdulrahman_al-Awlaki

If you don't think killing an American citizen without due process in a nation Congress hasn't authorized military force in, isn't as severe as killing a uniformed military combatant in a nation Congress explicitly authorized force in, I don't know what to say other than you're not being genuine, objective or honest.

Comparing a possible attack on Bundy whom had repeatedly been told to stand down by law enforcement, versus killing someone having dinner with no law enforcement present is missing the mark as far as you can.   It genuinely seems the American left is fine with murdering its own citizens (so long as they're not black and shooting a gun at a cop) without any kind of due process, but killing a uniformed combatant whom had killed hundreds of Americans is now too far.  I can't take this line of thought serious, because no adult who was acting in good faith would truly articulate it.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Oh here we go with the exaggerrations. Killing a foreign general entitles the other nation to strike back. Rightfully so in some ways. Leading to war. Killing a leader of Al-Qaeda would not. Big difference.

Randall Flagg

They had already attacked us several times, with increasing escalation.  Shooting of our drones in international water, firing on our ships, attacking and killing a US Contractor in Kirkuk, Iraq, and finally leading an assault on our embassy in Iraq - which is US Soil.  And we killed a uniformed combatant, something completely authorized under Geneva, unlike civilians which is considered a war crime. 

You had no problem with Obama blowing up numerous weddings, killing Americans, and emboldening both Iran and North Korea.  It's clear you don't read the news much or recall anything but from the present, but Obama's own party opposed him on the Iran deal.  Chuck Schumer was its biggest opponent.  These aren't opinions.

If you were silent or supported what Obama did, as the overwhelming majority of Democrats did while he was in office, you don't get to feign outrage and be perceived as credible now.  You have no problem calling the Republicans hypocrites and charlatans who magically became anti-war under Obama, but cheered it under Bush.  You should apply that same standard now.

I think this is all i have to comment on this subject, as I'm probably the only one here with an advanced degree in Political Science and actual experience in the nations and people being discussed.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

lol, Trump shook hands with NK's Kim Jung AFTER he killed an American!

Watch Paula Reid of non-partisan CBS completely OWN Mike 'dolt' Pompeo: 

The guys got the brain of a 7th grader. Like Trump.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Not even arguing the morality of killing this guy Randall, just saying the difference between taking out Osama or other incidents you mentioned and this is this one is this creates an international diplomacy issue to deal with. It possibly wasn't the wisest move (time will obviously tell) and that risk would/should have been known beforehand.

Less about supporting previous admins and more just assessing whether it was the right move from a foreign policy point of view.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Right. Killing Soleimani didn't solve a problem. Iran can still attack an embassy, it can still attack a military base. Killing him didnt stop that. I wouldn't say it escalated it, but fortunately Iran took a high road. Pompeo, he's full of shit, so was Dick Cheney & Rumsfeld

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:

for Trump it’s just a distraction and more of a bragging point than a deep political move. There’s no long game in politics, it’s all this 24 hours. But no doubt this is the deep state agenda. Regime change in Iran for sure but not Trump. He can just lay the ground work and score a few points with his base. They will do it under AOC. Pin this post before the Tempranillo truth serum works off.

Randall Flagg

Iowa does not bode well for Democrats, but especially Biden. Sanders is going to win NH, so if Biden doesn’t win SC, Bloomberg is going to kneecap him. Split the party 3 ways - the far left gets behind Bernie, the establishment behind Biden, and the normals behind Bloomberg.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

It was idiotic. Kindof emblematic of the Democratic (and political) elite being out of touch with the real America.  To think you can just have random users, mostly likely over 40, download an app, learn how to use it on their own, and it work flawlessly with no snafu's on such a major 1 time only event is just moronic. I bet most users didn't even download it until they got on site. Some older caucus leaders likely didn't have a smartphone or like an iphone 4, Galacy 2.  Put aside security fears etc.

shutout52
 Rep: 0 

shutout52 wrote:

The "normals" are going to back this guy?

https://www.newsweek.com/michael-bloomb … A63floIHQ8

Not a fan of anyone, as usual, but ISideWith puts me as matching closest to Yang, Bloomberg, and Steyer.  I tend to prefer Delaney, Buttigieg, and Gabbard if someone held a gun to my head and told me to pick a top three.

I'll likely end up with whoever the Libertarians trot out again. Again, as usual.

Board footer