You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Will new music be released in 2020?

Sky Dog wrote:
misterID wrote:

That's just Slash sounding like Slash, tbh.

Or Slash sounding like Slashba? lol

Will new music be released in 2020?

Yes, Q1 26%
Yes, Q2 7%
Yes, Q3 2%
Yes, Q4 12%
No 52%
Total votes: 42
Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
sp1at wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Ironic that for years the rc were a blocker - now they have what they wanted (reunion) but maybe struggling to know how to capitalise on it

Slash is right though, it is different now. People use social media to promote music, not really a GN'R thing.

As you said, CD was affected by the record company, and the Best Buy deal was all about making the money back they put into the recording costs.

UYI had Terminator 2

How does GN'R release a new record and stand out, especially in a year when a lot of bands are releasing albums. The forum fans will just want the band to release an album, but it does have to capture the attention of casual fans.

By making an insanely good classic rock album. Whilst there is a whole load of trash out there these days I think people still no a good song when they see one.

I didn’t buy the GNR box set. I felt is was vastly overpriced. But I would dig deep for a new double album with all the trimmings if it was as good as UYI.

How to promote it? Get out there and be passionate and talk about it would be a good start.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
sp1at wrote:

Slash with Guitar.com

Speaking of Guns, have you got anything more you can share about the new album?
“There’s been no definitive answer on anything and I’ll just keep keep to that. Stuff is happening, but there are no specifics. More than anything, it’s because of the nature of the industry right now. It’s just like, how do you want to do this? I mean there’s material and there’s recording and there’s shit going on, but we’re not really sure what we’re doing with it right now.”

I'm not going to panic....yet.

Soundgarden made similar comments when they reunited.  The industry has been fucked for years and these older bands/artists aren't always able or willing to adapt.

Hell....the Stones released their final album a few years ago and literally no one gave a fuck.

Even U2 releases aren't the pop culture spectacle they used to be.

Gotta find a middle ground.

deadsouth wrote:

Translation: Nobody under 35 buys fucking music anymore... Why would we waste time with that when bovines and boomers are paying $200 bucks a head to see a broad way tier performance... and that's all these legacy rock tours  are nowadays.  Worse than CATS.... Oy fuck'n vey

Srsly though... What is the point of releasing new material?? Do you think that will attract even more fans?? and sell more tickets to a very popular world tour??  I mean, who the fuck doesn't already know who this band is??

Lastly... rock as a commercially viable source of huge profits for (((labels))) is long dead.  Look at the numbers(physical retail and tour stats) of any act that is not 15+ years old....  Shit... can you even name a semi known rock band that was formed since 2005?

New songs/albums in the current era are just a promotional tool for a tour. That's it. They serve no other purpose now. Music in the 2010s and beyond is just background noise while people post on Facebook, Twitter, or whatever....and they only care to hear a hot single in that background. Deep cuts are meaningless now.

It sucks but it is what it is.

I predicted many years ago that the constant pushing of rap music combined with the garbage reality/talent show era of the early-mid 2000s was going to kill music.

I was right.

Then factor in the downloading and then streaming era.

Music will never again have the impact it did in our youth.

Sky Dog wrote:

Tool did fine. They are the closest comparable.

No excuses. There has been some form of excuse every year since 1994. For whatever reasons, they don’t release new music. One album of original material in 29 years! It speaks for itself.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, I think the Tool comparison is the best one, they hadn't released new music in a long time, and from what I read, the album was really hard to get a hold of, and it STILL sold really well. Add to that, Tool ain’t nowhere near the sold-out stadium mega tour status that GN’R are, and they’re worried about how to put an album out? Just bullshit excuses

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, I think the Tool comparison is the best one, they hadn't released new music in a long time, and from what I read, the album was really hard to get a hold of, and it STILL sold really well. Add to that, Tool ain’t nowhere near the sold-out stadium mega tour status that GN’R are, and they’re worried about how to put an album out? Just bullshit excuses

Tool have been around since 1991 and this was the first album in what 12 years. And let's not kid ourselves the album was snorefest full of nothing but Feller and jam sessions. And like James said the only reason it was even released was  to justify another 10 years of touring

It was hard to get a hold of because they did a over-the-top hipster nonsense box set release limited too I believe less than 10,000 copies,

10,000 Days entered the U.S. Billboard 200 chart at number 1, selling 564,000 copies in its first week.

Last album 2019: 270,000 album-equivalent units*
252k real album sales

s*the formula of 1,500 on-demand audio and/or video song streams = 10 track sales = 1 album sale.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

No excuses. There has been some form of excuse every year since 1994. For whatever reasons, they don’t release new music. One album of original material in 29 years! It speaks for itself.

Look up how many units it sold though. 270k is considered great now. As stated above, the album sales is not what makes anyone money. It's basically a promotional tool for more touring.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
deadsouth wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Tool have been around since 1991 and this was the first album in what 12 years. And let's not kid ourselves the album was snorefest full of nothing but Feller and jam sessions. And like James said the only reason it was even released was  to justify another 10 years of touring

It was hard to get a hold of because they did a over-the-top hipster nonsense box set release limited too I believe less than 10,000 copies,

10,000 Days entered the U.S. Billboard 200 chart at number 1, selling 564,000 copies in its first week.

Last album 2019: 270,000 album-equivalent units*
252k real album sales

s*the formula of 1,500 on-demand audio and/or video song streams = 10 track sales = 1 album sale.

My point wasn’t the quality of the album, but the fact that it sold as much as it did, by a rock band that had been around for a long time, and was a long time between album releases.

And yeah, I know this isn’t 1991 sales figures. But more my point is that GN’R have much more mainstream appeal than Tool does. And if Tool can sell that much of what is considered a “snoozefest” then GN’R should certainly sell a lot more than that.

That is of course if new music of theirs is good too.

Sky Dog wrote:

Exactly and I like Fear Inoculum! axl 9

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Yeah there's definitely a pattern with this band not releasing material that goes back decades.

On the other hand, I see their possible concerns in the current situation. What if it goes over like a fart in church to the point it negatively impacts the touring juggernaut permanently?

If I was in the driver's seat right now, they don't release an album.

They release a song right before the tour.

Push it to the moon, perform it live on various shows, hashtag the thing everywhere....and then let nature take its course.

Then you get your album ducks in a row.

Like David Lee Roth says, it ain't rocket surgery....

Just throw a song out there to promote the tour and appease the fan base.

Tie it in with some lame billion dollar superhero movie.

Win-win.

Board footer