You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Weiland on the howard stern show

Neemo wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Rusty Cage & Outshined are classics. Let alone Superunknown. I like early SG also, songs like Gun & Full on Kev's Mom. Sure it's garage band sounding, but it was real. Like why I like Nirvana's Bleach so much.

nah its all cool i understand why people can gravitate to that type of sound and style...but to say that a garage sounding band is comparable to Slash's work is a bit of a stretch IMO... hmm

I know that the Cornell/SG fans will cringe but just as SG started sounding decent they disbanded, superunknown and down on the upside were their best albums i think, and the Audioslave stuff, i felt, was superior to SG in alot of ways...Morello is much better than Thayill as well .... IMO of course 19

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

nah its all cool i understand why people can gravitate to that type of sound and style...but to say that a garage sounding band is comparable to Slash's work is a bit of a stretch IMO... hmm:

Sorry for highjacking the thread over this, but to finish IMHO I like Louder than Love, Ultramega OK, Bleach & Incesticide more than the over-polished sounds of UYI I & II.

Soundgarden did break up early, but then again myb it was the best time. Look at what Pearl Jam did from 97-06, not a whole lot of greatness there IMO. Last album was good but in between I wasn't much into it. Cantrell was good also, maybe he was better than Thayil. I'd admit probably more "skilled", but I like Thayill's riffs in songs, drop D tuning & sliding chords.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I'm not a SG fan at all..and they are so not similar to each other at all.....even so Thayill is not anywhere close to being in Slash's league IMO ... sorry..

Hands All Over
Nothing to Say
Jesus Christ Pose
Superunknown
Half
Birth Ritual
Slaves and Bulldozers
Room a Thousand Years Wide

List goes on...

Lets see Slash play those. We've already heard him play Big Dumb Sex at a subpar level, and the irony in that is its a song making fun of late 80's rock.

Thayil could've walked into GNR in early 06 and been the BH replacement. Wouldn't have replicated the sound of course(neither has BBF), but he would have gave the material a run for its money.

Slash walking in to handle BH material would have been laughable.

No one is doubting Slash's contributions to the music world. Hell, this is a GNR site for God's sake. But to just dismiss talents of others so seamlessly is a bit drastic.

Slash outplaying Thayil "any day of the week" is just literally laugh out loud funny.

I cant believe I'm even hearing this shit.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

i cant believe that we are comparing thayill to slash.....thats insanity hmm

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think soundgarden and audioslave are good bands...but neither of them can hold a candle to Slash.

James

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

i cant believe that we are comparing thayill to slash.....thats insanity hmm

Why is the comparison insane? Because one didn't do the SCOM solo? Just because Soundgarden didn't release a few massive hits doesn't mean the comparison between guitarists is insane.

If we're gonna use that type of logic, Madonna can "outplay" Slash any day of the week simply because she had more hits.

If I am compiling a supergroup, Thayil makes it long before Slash ever gets in. Not just on the fact of technical ability alone, but that you have broader landscape to work with when going into the studio to record your album with Thayil.

Would the band get SCOM or any other song with a typical Slash solo? No. But I could go into much deeper(and darker) territory with my record than I would with Slash playing Yesterdays or Slither all day long.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

that may be...i'm jsut saying that the two guys are about as different as guitar players can be...they stand for 2 totally different ideals

to me its like comapring Kirk Hammett and Jerry Cantrell hmm both guys are fantastic talents but both are at opposite ends of the spectrum..depending on what you are after both guys may be perfect for the job hmm  or one might be not neccessary compared to the other depending on how you argue it

James

James wrote:

This is my issue with the discussion at hand. Bold statements were made claiming "Slash can out play Thayil any day of the week". Whether they are different or not(obviously they are), doesn't back up such a claim. I just don't see how Slash can be considered that superior of a guitar player to be able to make such a claim.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

People that think Slash is a one trick pony haven't heard all his material.  The stuff he plays on some other people's tracks is pretty different. 

Not to mention the second Snakepit album, which is pretty different in itself.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

to me its like comapring Kirk Hammett and Jerry Cantrell hmm both guys are fantastic talents but both are at opposite ends of the spectrum..

Fair point, but personally I feel that also is an arguement that can be made. Personally I'd go with Kirk due to his extensive (and great) collection. Although I'm not sure what & how much he writes vs. Hetfield. But Cantrell is great also, myb better I guess. But I'd say neither one is out of the others league.

Is Slash better than Thayill, yeah maybe. Do I like Thayill alot & think he was also great, yeah. Also, you do have to admit adding him into ANY Supergroup immediately would have given it credibility. Imagine, Kim Thayill and Zach De La Rocha. Immediately you already would have had a Supergroup, regardless of who else is in it.

Board footer