You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: Did you receive a flu shot in 2019?

As the title and poll state, just curious how many people received their annual flu vaccine in 2019.

Did you receive a Flu Shot in 2019?

Yes 45%
No, and I've never gotten one 55%
No, but I normally have in the past 5 years 0%
Total votes: 11
buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I used to never get a flu shot, but when I married a diabetic it became part of my annual routine.  I used to get either a cold or the flu every year, now (here comes the jinx) it's very rare that I get one.  Small sample size...

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I don't think I've ever gotten one. Only in the last few years I'd heard its actually 'injecting you' with the flu, so to speak. That kinda disgusted me a bit, not to be an anti-vaccine type or anything.  Anyway, I was pretty sick in December & kinda was once or twice the last few years or so, whereas in the past I almost never get sick. (I go years without really taking a sick day, same with school).

Next year tho I likely will, although I'm sorta nervous they're gonna beta test this Covid19 for it.

shutout52
 Rep: 0 

shutout52 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Only in the last few years I'd heard its actually 'injecting you' with the flu, so to speak. That kinda disgusted me a bit, not to be an anti-vaccine type or anything.

Um, that's... that's kinda how every vaccine works.  The MMR vaccine, the polio vaccine, DTaP, they're giving you weak or even dead doses of the virus so your body's immune system attacks and kills it, and thus maintains the antibodies required to kill them off in perpetuity.

That said, despite being vaccinated against pretty much everything else from birth to the start of college, I've never had a flu shot. The flu tends to change a bit constantly, and thus any vaccine against it is simply based on what its mutation is likely to be for that year. A lot of the time they get it right. Once in a while they miss the mark (a few years ago, I knew a few people who still got it despite the vaccine). Meanwhile, things like measels-mumps-rubella, diptheria-tetanus-pertussis, polio, meningitis, etc. are typically unchanged and have a perfected vaccine developed to stop them.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
shutout52 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Only in the last few years I'd heard its actually 'injecting you' with the flu, so to speak. That kinda disgusted me a bit, not to be an anti-vaccine type or anything.

Um, that's... that's kinda how every vaccine works.  The MMR vaccine, the polio vaccine, DTaP, they're giving you weak or even dead doses of the virus so your body's immune system attacks and kills it, and thus maintains the antibodies required to kill them off in perpetuity.

I don't have kids, and haven't gotten a vaccine shot since I was probably 10, so it never really crosses my mind.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Got one. I usually do. Rarely get the flu anymore. I haven't been sick at all since September 2018.

Board footer