You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: Covid 19

Here are the real numbers (and by real I mean the numbers where they still assume without a test that someone had COVID) from the state of PA.  Now tell me why me, a 38 year old male in good health, needs to be terrified indefinitely that this disease will take me out? 

96562932_2701967163416465_3206837816889704448_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=3ChAn7CL-xcAX_TdxB7&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=39ddd23e05ffbc014af23386f3b6f8d1&oe=5ED7ACD5

Randall Flagg

If Thanos told you to design a virus that targeted a specific population or he'd snap his fingers, who wouldn't immediately pick COVID-19?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

There are reasons I'm not wrong very often when I post things.  It's not because I am smarter than everyone else.  I'm not really an expert at much of anything because I get bored with things pretty easily.  So as a result, I know a little bit about a lot of things. 

What I do a good job of though is looking at multiple sides of things.  Very little in life is black and white.  Even good and evil, right and wrong - these are different based on perspective.  So when something (like Covid in this case) catches my interest, I read up on it.  That doesn't mean I watch CNN and take it as the bible.  I can't stomach their spin any more than the one on Fox. 

I do know a journalist though.  One that actually does research and shares information pro/con on topics and this has been his hot button for a while (understandably).  He doesn't tell people how they should feel.  He doesn't tell people what to believe.  He just shares information from multiple points of view and allows people to draw their own conclusions.

You'll notice I'm very rarely an early speaker/writer on anything.  That's because I know that I don't know enough to have an informed opinion.  Even when people have informed opinions, sometimes things change and they end up being wrong.  It's a LOT easier to be right when you wait to understand more before voicing an opinion.

From the beginning I have said that we don't know enough to be making the harsh decisions that were made.  Here we are roughly 1-2 months later and we STILL don't know.  There's no concrete proof that social distancing did anything to the spread of the virus (contrary to a lot of opinion around here).  The weather could be as much of a reason for the slowing as social distancing.  (Now I know some of you are going to take this as "buzz said it did nothing!!!!!111!!!" - no, read what I said...have mommy and daddy help you with the bigger words if you need it)

Even what we claim to know we don't actually know because all of the numbers have been manipulated so that there will never be clear answers to any of this.  It's amazing the lengths people on both sides will go to in order to defend their cause.  There's so much misinformation out there.

We know there are more than 33 million in the US on unemployment.  We don't know that all of them are Covid related...some companies out there surely used this as an excuse to trim some fat.  Let's say 20 million Covid related and 72K dead.  Now we know some of those 72K would have died anyway and some of them weren't really Covid cases, but let's ignore that.  Was it worth it to hurt 20 million people?  If you are one of the 72K, that's easy to answer.  If you loved one of the 72K, that's probably easy to answer as long as you weren't one of the 20 million...the answer gets a little more muddy then.  I PROMISE you it's a pretty easy answer for the rest of the 20 million...and don't forget that I am being kind with the number 20 million...it is more than that.

You guys need to learn to think less emotionally and more realistically.  Very little in life is black and white.  It's fair that I am being a dick in talking down to people...there are a couple of you that deserve that, but the rest don't.  Doesn't mean the message is wrong.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Consider this, everyone goes to the supermarket, mall, bars, gym etc en masse.  Then, the supermarket. It's definitely going to spread, right?  Like, alot of people. Like 30%-50% of the public.  Then, the elderly, 60 & up, go to the supermarket, gas station, little things, and catch it.  Suddenly the amount of elderly who catch it grows exponentially.

So yeah, a 38 year old may not die from it, or show symptoms, but the infection rate & death rate of those susceptible will increase drastically. It's like someone here said (Mole, Atari?), You people complaining after the shutdown are like people who got thru the 80s & 90s saying "I should've never bothered to wear a condom". 

Every other country on the planet, except Sweden, shut down. Why do you all take such issue with it?   I'm not saying close for the year, I'm saying the shutdown was the right thing to do.  if you have issue with it, blame trump not me.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

How do you STILL not understand that it's GOOD that people (especially healthy people) get infected.  Immunology.  Seriously.  Read about it...it's important.

People are going to get it unless you keep them locked down forever.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

How do you STILL not understand that it's GOOD that people (especially healthy people) get infected.  Immunology.  Seriously.  Read about it...it's important.

What if the death rate drops significantly as it gets hot out?  Like, hot hot.   Then, what if a vaccine is crafted in September or October?   You're idea of letting a million folks just die will like awfully amatuerish.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

What if the death rate drops significantly as it gets hot out?  Like, hot hot.   Then, what if a vaccine is crafted in September or October?   You're idea of letting a million folks just die will like awfully amatuerish.

What million folks?  In what country are a million folks going to die?  You have no credibility when you make shit up.  Ask a question that has something behind it other than your weak principles.

For Christ's sake read about immunology and how it works.

Randall Flagg

PaSnow wrote:

Consider this, everyone goes to the supermarket, mall, bars, gym etc en masse.  Then, the supermarket. It's definitely going to spread, right?  Like, alot of people. Like 30%-50% of the public.  Then, the elderly, 60 & up, go to the supermarket, gas station, little things, and catch it.  Suddenly the amount of elderly who catch it grows exponentially.

So yeah, a 38 year old may not die from it, or show symptoms, but the infection rate & death rate of those susceptible will increase drastically. It's like someone here said (Mole, Atari?), You people complaining after the shutdown are like people who got thru the 80s & 90s saying "I should've never bothered to wear a condom". 

Every other country on the planet, except Sweden, shut down. Why do you all take such issue with it?   I'm not saying close for the year, I'm saying the shutdown was the right thing to do.  if you have issue with it, blame trump not me.

Everyone is going to the supermarket.  That didn't change.  I don't know what grocery delivery time is in Philly, but in Pittsburgh there's a 2 week wait and no guarantee of items.  So for the past 8 weeks, i've put on my mask and gone to Giant Eagle once a week.  Just like everyone else on this side of the state.  It's the only time I've left my home to be in public (I bought a new Challenger right before the lockdown, so it's been my only "safe" hobby) in the past 2 months.  The elderly are going too.  All stores around here open an hour early for the elderly and healthcare professionals.  My friend's 85 year old FIL just got stopped in Ohio at an Advanced Auto because someone in the store tested positive for COVID, and the health authority showed up to lock it down.  He was detained for 4 hours.  Why the fuck was an 85 year old man out an about in an Advanced Auto you ask?  His answer was he's 85 and he's not going to stay locked inside until he dies. 

I don't take issue with the lockdown.  I've supported and participated in it since day one.  No one knew what the virus was capable of, how it was transmitted, and who it affected.  Remember when they were saying it had a 5% mortality rate?  Then 2%?  We now know it's closer to .2 or .3%, and that's with fuzzy math counting ailments that wipe out 85k elderly a year.  My issue is with the idea of an indefinite lockdown that is dependent on the idea some vaccine will be created - a vaccine that has never been created for any coronavirus.  The idea of sitting on our asses while the world collapses and the inevitable home loss and collapse of half of our businesses is enough to give me pause.  If 80% of fatalities occur in nursing homes, shouldn't that be the focus of our efforts.  If 22% of people dying are obese with high blood pressure, shouldn't people on high blood pressure apply controls rather than all of us? 

People are always going to be dying; it's kind of a the only guarantee in life.  So we look at what we can do, and how we can mitigate the damage to vulnerable populations.  If that means armed security and tests of medical personnel at nursing homes, so be it.  But we can't be locked down in August hoping for some miracle vaccine that no one knows if it can be created, let alone effective (the virus is mutating like every other virus and could be as unstable as the flu) because 1% of elderly people in nursing homes might die.

Randall Flagg

PaSnow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Who said anything about a million folks dying?  The death rate is going to drop significantly when the it gets hot out.  The science from the CDC says exactly that.  The covid virus dies very quickly in hot, humid environments and in high UV light.  You have no reason to believe a vaccine will be created, let alone a vaccine that can be issued to 330 million people in a reasonable time line.  How many trillions should the US goverment print so that people can stay home and collect 52k a year in UE benefits?

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

What million folks?  In what country are a million folks going to die?  You have no credibility when you make shit up.  Ask a question that has something behind it other than your weak principles.

For Christ's sake read about immunology and how it works.

72,000 have died. Likely, 150,000 will, possibly 200,000. That is WITH a massive shutdown.  If we had not implemented the shutdown, easily 500K die, very possibly a million.

Board footer