You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Trump just declared antifa a terrorist organization...he’s gonna just keep escalating isn’t he?

Keep pushing...see what happens

Twitter just shut down several Antifa accounts for coordinating attacks and encouraging violence, including robbing homes. Dude, they set fire to an apartment complex, tried to prevent anyone from putting out the fire that nearly burned a child alive.

Antifa is majority privileged white kids. Fuck them.

What good does this action do right now? That’s what I’m asking...and antifa isn’t the only group out there fucking shot up...

Based on what i saw around and near the white house...i feel there’ll be a confrontation now on White House property....

Trump is escalating things...not de-escalating....

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Anyone hear a rumor these protests were tricked by being actually organized & pushed by Russian social media accounts?  I swear I was watching CBSNews & they were simulcasting a local station (San Jose or smt) and they broke into it back to national right when someone was mentioning something about his?  Then, on the national broadcast, the audio went silent for about 10 seconds, & I swear the guy also was mentioning this was a possibility.

Then my neighbor (in Philly) shared a video from a sketchy FB page, called March and Rally in LA ( https://www.facebook.com/MarchAndRallyLA ). I looked into it, totally fake. The domain name was just registered in Dec 2016, they post liberal posts daily, have gained a following of 50,000+, and had a post Friday announcing the LA protest time & place??

Very curious.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I have a little (very little) to say about this topic, so hopefully this will be my one and only comment on it. 

It's sad that we live in a society where you have to pick a side and support that side no matter what happens.  I'm not allowed to be equally upset about the actions of (a small number of) police and the actions of a relatively small number of people that use incidents like this as an opportunity to destroy a community.  Normally I'd say their own community, but I'm not convinced that the rioting is actually coming from people in that community in a lot of cases. 

I've read all kinds of accounts from people making excuses for the officer.  There is no excuse.  Even if Mr Floyd had killed an officer, they had no right to kill him without a trial as nobody's life was in immediate danger.  I haven't and won't watch the video as I have zero interest in seeing someone lose their life.  I trust that (most of) the accounts I have read are accurate.  There's nothing Mr Floyd could have done to justify what happened to him.  Nothing.  Not only should that officer be prosecuted to the law's fullest extent, so should those that were standing there and did nothing to stop it.  I stand (figuratively) with the peaceful protesters.  The vast majority that are peaceful aren't the problem...

...it's the comparatively smaller group that starts trouble, then the mob mentality that takes over sucking in (in many cases) people that otherwise wouldn't participate in something like that.  I don't care how upset you are, you can't go burning buildings down.  The protests during the day all seem to be fine; night time hits and all of a sudden people go crazy.  I'm convinced it's not the same people (in most cases) that were there during the day.

There are powerful people trying to keep us divided (the same people that flamed this division in the first place).  It's not Obama and it's not Trump.  There are all kinds of theories as to who it is, but I don't pretend to have the answers.  It wouldn't surprise me to find out this is a Star Wars prequel set up where someone (or the same groups) is/are manipulating both sides.

Here's what I do know:  WE aren't each other's enemies.  We see things differently because we all come from different places and experienced different things.  That's okay.  That's actually good.  Diversity of any kind (including diversity of thought) is a great thing when used to bring people together for a common good. 

Most people are good people.  That's us here (I'd say we're all good at our core), that's cops, that's whites, blacks, asians, hispanics, etc.  I live in a very diverse neighborhood and (from what I have seen at least) everybody gets along.  People aren't afraid of me because I am white and nerdy.  I'm not afraid of other people because they look sort of like Ice-T.  We wave to each other when we're out walking, help each other out, have community gatherings like cookouts.  That doesn't mean we agree on everything.  We don't.  But it's okay.  I think 99% of diverse neighborhoods are like this.  I think most people in non-diverse neighborhoods don't live in those neighborhoods to get away from other ethnicities.  Why is it that at the micro-level we can all get along, but at the macro level we're so divided?  It's an interesting question that I'm not sure I've ever heard asked.

I'm sure somebody is going to pick this apart as not taking a stand or whatever.  That's fine.  Believe what you want...I'm not engaging in that.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I have a little (very little) to say about this topic, so hopefully this will be my one and only comment on it. 

It's sad that we live in a society where you have to pick a side and support that side no matter what happens.  I'm not allowed to be equally upset about the actions of (a small number of) police and the actions of a relatively small number of people that use incidents like this as an opportunity to destroy a community.  Normally I'd say their own community, but I'm not convinced that the rioting is actually coming from people in that community in a lot of cases. 

I've read all kinds of accounts from people making excuses for the officer.  There is no excuse.  Even if Mr Floyd had killed an officer, they had no right to kill him without a trial as nobody's life was in immediate danger.  I haven't and won't watch the video as I have zero interest in seeing someone lose their life.  I trust that (most of) the accounts I have read are accurate.  There's nothing Mr Floyd could have done to justify what happened to him.  Nothing.  Not only should that officer be prosecuted to the law's fullest extent, so should those that were standing there and did nothing to stop it.  I stand (figuratively) with the peaceful protesters.  The vast majority that are peaceful aren't the problem...

...it's the comparatively smaller group that starts trouble, then the mob mentality that takes over sucking in (in many cases) people that otherwise wouldn't participate in something like that.  I don't care how upset you are, you can't go burning buildings down.  The protests during the day all seem to be fine; night time hits and all of a sudden people go crazy.  I'm convinced it's not the same people (in most cases) that were there during the day.

There are powerful people trying to keep us divided (the same people that flamed this division in the first place).  It's not Obama and it's not Trump.  There are all kinds of theories as to who it is, but I don't pretend to have the answers.  It wouldn't surprise me to find out this is a Star Wars prequel set up where someone (or the same groups) is/are manipulating both sides.

Here's what I do know:  WE aren't each other's enemies.  We see things differently because we all come from different places and experienced different things.  That's okay.  That's actually good.  Diversity of any kind (including diversity of thought) is a great thing when used to bring people together for a common good. 

Most people are good people.  That's us here (I'd say we're all good at our core), that's cops, that's whites, blacks, asians, hispanics, etc.  I live in a very diverse neighborhood and (from what I have seen at least) everybody gets along.  People aren't afraid of me because I am white and nerdy.  I'm not afraid of other people because they look sort of like Ice-T.  We wave to each other when we're out walking, help each other out, have community gatherings like cookouts.  That doesn't mean we agree on everything.  We don't.  But it's okay.  I think 99% of diverse neighborhoods are like this.  I think most people in non-diverse neighborhoods don't live in those neighborhoods to get away from other ethnicities.  Why is it that at the micro-level we can all get along, but at the macro level we're so divided?  It's an interesting question that I'm not sure I've ever heard asked.

I'm sure somebody is going to pick this apart as not taking a stand or whatever.  That's fine.  Believe what you want...I'm not engaging in that.

Thoughtful, heartfelt and genuinely inspiring post, Buzz. I agree 100% with everything you've said. I wanna see the first jackass to claim you're not taking a stand here... You are, it's just one that is not looking to squarely put the blame on one side, and that deserves all the credit in the world.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

I think every logical person feels the same as how Buzz does.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Who are these bugaloo guys that are wearing Hawaiian shirts? I'm hearing they're a new group popping up trying to incite violence between police and is a fringe right wing affiliation.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Great post Buzz. Nothing wrong with it.

Here in Chicago, I had several friends join peaceful daytime protests. Organizers actually had conversations with police. It was mostly agreed that at 7 pm the protest would end. My friends, who documented their day on Facebook, packed it in and left at 7 or around that time. Whomever was left eventually got violent.

You are also right that the peaceful protesters are not the ones looting. And you’re right that they largely are not from the community where they are looting and burning. It’s also groups on the far left and far right. There’s blame to go all across the political spectrum.

Protesting in general is not bad. Looting and pillaging sometimes gets your point across, Boston Tea Party anyone? This instance seems to have gone past that point. I’d rather see millions of people marching in cities around the world peacefully. Or what about a general strike?

That’s as far into I guess I want to get.

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

There is real worry around Chicagoland that tonight white supremacy groups will be attacking poor, minority neighborhoods.

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

'BREAKING: Independent autopsy finds that George Floyd's death "was homicide caused by asphyxia due to neck and back compression that led to a lack of blood flow to the brain."

If true it shows its just corruption after corruption with the state medical examiner failing to mention anything to do with asphyxia.

Nothing we personally didn't know I suppose.

Board footer