You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Who should've been bigger?

James wrote:

I wish she and/or her label would do more releases....live, anniversary editions, etc. ONLY from her peak though....she quickly became a shell of her former self.

----

She was on fire 87-90. Untouchable.

Another band that should've been bigger is Wilson Phillips. Great debut, 4 big hits, and two years later..... second album goes nowhere and they break up.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

War Babies

From Seattle, this band came out in 1991, right when grunge was poised to take over. Their sound, to me, actually is kind of a mix of the party metal that was popular and also grunge. They definitely have a "dirtier" sound than the other guys at the time. This entire CD is great stuff. The only they ever released. The first song below here got a tiny bit of MTV and radio play, then they just disappeared.

James

James wrote:

^ a band with a similar fate as TAD....there at the beginning, should probably get attention.... but slip through the cracks.

Here's another one....

Juice Newton

How did the label get that wrong? Once the country winds start blowing in a different direction, have her go all out pop. She was on the verge of Shania- Taylor Swift level but the bottom dropped out.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I think like Nirvana for early 80s femaie acts there's pre & post Madonna.I didn't follow country, not sure of CMT's impact in the mid 80s, but I'm not sure there was a market or niche for her.

I know the 2 songs (Angel of Morning, Queen Of Hearts),, they're good songs. Really good, I think it was more a late 70s sound, kinda like the rock bands time who got shunned with music videos (38 special?).  She's pretty tho, had the look, nothing against that, just the timing. Ashame tho, probably had talent.

James

James wrote:

Those two singles were great... but this is the one that should've been the breakout hit...

Put that in heavy rotation on MTV and it might be different. You make a good point about timing though....summer of 82. It might have required a re-release.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:

While we're talking about female singers of the 80s who should have been bigger. I'd say the fact that Madonna was the artist to remain relevant as opposed to Pat Benatar and Cyndi Lauper who are far superior is an indictment of a culture that puts image over substance.

James

James wrote:

Good point on Cyndi Lauper.

I think the reason her career stalled is the rock n wrestling connection. She became too intertwined with it. The cherry on top being the fact that the concept got overexposed quickly. It reached the point where any time you saw Lauper, you expected Lou Albano to come around the corner.

Out of everyone involved, her career suffered. Her rise and fall perfectly coincide with it.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
James wrote:

Good point on Cyndi Lauper.

I think the reason her career stalled is the rock n wrestling connection. She became too intertwined with it. The cherry on top being the fact that the concept got overexposed quickly. It reached the point where any time you saw Lauper, you expected Lou Albano to come around the corner.

Out of everyone involved, her career suffered. Her rise and fall perfectly coincide with it.

I never got Cyndi Lauper when she was popular...it just wasn't my thing.  It's interesting how many really good songs she had (and I didn't appreciate some of them until other artists covered them).  I don't think she wrote all of them, but she did have a talent for picking (and performing) quality songs. 

I will also say I was watching the We Are The World rehearsal videos on YouTube and while I never thought of her as attractive, she was cute in that.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:

Cyndi Lauper actually wrote most of her big hits, and many of them with the dude(s) from the band The Hooters.

She also plays the Dulcimer, which is odd, but interesting. She has the better voice.

The wrestling thing was weird, and I still don't quite understand it.

Madonna changed her image and sound every year or so. It just seemed so contrived.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Willie Nelson does a great Time After Time.  I'm not sure I agree one the 'songwriting' aspect of her. She didn't write GJWTHF, nor True Colors, and the guy from The Hooters co-wrote TAT. One could look into it and question how much should be attributed to him, a no-name at the time versus her who I'm not sure wrote many hits later on.  The Hooter blew up after that mostly after they were selected for Live Aid. (I think the Hooters guy later also wrote 90s hit 'What If God Was One Of Us)

I view her more schtik, and Madonna more ingenious. 'Changed her image' I think is keeping up with the times and changes. Not sure Brittney did that 15 years later. I'd compare Cyndi Lauper to Christina Aguilera (less vocal talent tho) always the #2 to the #1. Limited songs for a narrow era of time. Agree she's more  of an act or cover singer. Lisa Loeb or Cher type.

Yeah, the wrestling tie-in was weird. Kinda cashed in on it at the time, but killed her career longterm. 5 years out there was no looking at her without looking for Lou Albano.

Board footer