You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: How much has Axl worked on CD since its release?

bigbri wrote:

If they can’t do this during this downtime, it’ll never happen. Same with new music. For fuck’s sake, every band I’m a fan of and follow is working on new stuff, has announced plans to or already have. Hell, even nostalgia acts like Journey have done new music that is set to be released this fall.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

It’s not hard.

Give me Finck, Tobias, Stinson, and Freese without distortion effect and Axl’s vocals with very minor sweetening. Give it the raw live feel.

I love the Three Dollar Pyramid version of Better. It gets more plays than the rest of the stuff.

As somewhat of an aside, Oh My God’s riff is in the End of Days version. Just buried underneath a mountain of shit. A no nonsense version of that song would be cool. But Axl would have to you know, re-do his vocals.

Chinese Democracy is the ex girlfriend who you wanted to make it to the altar with. But it didn’t happen for whatever reason and it’s always gonna rub you the wrong way.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Chinese Democracy is the ex girlfriend who you wanted to make it to the altar with. But it didn’t happen for whatever reason and it’s always gonna rub you the wrong way.

this

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Miguelox26 wrote:

A lo mejor todo es mas simple y axl quedo conforme con la mezcla final!....para que sacar versiones de algo de lo que te sientes orgulloso!....a demas axl gano la partida a la discografica sacando las mismas canciones que rechazaron....simplemente añadio alguna otra que se fue cociendo hasta 2008!....y añade a buckethead al asunto y da por terminado el disco!....despues de todo tenemos las demos!....chinese democracy obra maestra....por cierto siempre con
demos de chinese....siempre maltratado....pero y las versiones rumbo86 de appetite?....a nadie se le ocurre decir que son mejores que las del cd del 87 mezcla final!....

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

As  somewhat of an aside, Oh My God’s riff is in the End of Days version. Just buried underneath a mountain of shit. A no nonsense version of that song would be cool. But Axl would have to you know, re-do his vocals

I heard this for the first time in eons a few days ago.....I wondered the same thing.

Is there a song buried in that mess?

The choice of Oh My God to unveil new GNR to the world is an even bigger head scratcher now than it was back then.

We now know what he had to work with and Oh My God is literally the worst choice.

Yeah the song technically fits in with that movie/soundtrack but other than that....it was dead on arrival.

Silkworms would've been a better choice. At least that song might have accidentally squirmed its way on to a club chart and gave itself a second life.

21 years later I still don't understand why he would risk tying the band's fate to that damn movie.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:

The project should've been Cirque De Solei: Guns N' Roses.

The sound would be Use Your Illusion III, exploring alt-pop/rock and some Elton Rose epics.

The band would've leaned into their odd-ball identity in a similar yet entirely different way as the original band.

It'd be a club band working it's way up to a Vegas level stage show. Spectacular, Spectacular!

Instead, we get Axl LARPing as Trent Reznor. If you destroy all "NIN" stuff, as stupid as that label was, nothing of value was lost. I'll even sacrifice Hard School and Better at the altar if I get to keep There Was A Time and Madagascar.

But Gn'R fans have an insecurity about anything that doesn't sound like AC/DC or Metallica. Both Axl's ego and fan insecurity is why we get "Shackler's Revenge" in 2008. It's a desperate attempt for (1) street cred, see: Axl's NWA hat and (2) pop appeal.

And c'mon James, you really have to ask? The man was as mad as a March hare. And didn't know his ass from his elbow about business, marketing, showing up on time, anything...

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Which boils it back down to shit management from start to finish of the CD saga....with the anomaly being the brief Azoff period...which just happens to be when we get the album.

It's all a travesty looking back on it.

He was handled with kid gloves by all parties involved. His big talk and supposed grandiose plans disguised insecurity and uncertainty.

He wasn't Steve Jobs dancing through his life and business in a "reality distortion field".  He was completely out of his depth without Slash and Duff....and then tried faking his way through it.

In his defense, there was a level of vindication at the end of the tunnel to China. He clearly had an album ready to go in the timeframe that it mattered.

Speaking of the oddball lineups, if we get an album in 99-00, it might have been fairly conventional. If you wait to unveil Buckethead for album/tour 2 and go with Village Sessions disc 1/2000 Intentions as the album, it's more of an unknown lineup than an oddball one.

I guess that creates problems in itself. Other than Stinson, there was no one else to carry the load. This is a big reason why the likes of Slash, Duff, and Sorum were missed. They were capable of doing the heavy lifting promotion wise.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:

I remember reading an interview with Trent Reznor who said around With Teeth the record company was leaving them to their own devices and were busy prepping the next major acts.

In Trents view, they had made a bunch of money with TDS and TF but it was like the bands sell-by date had expired.

In short, it doesn’t take a top management team to tell you to go to work and show up on time or make stuff happen. Could it have been better? Sure. But outside of the Ezrin situation, I can’t put much at their feet.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

I'm critical to death on Axl's lack of push to move forward through the years but with tidbits and Tommy's comments about how the record company handled the band through the years + interscope/geffen/universal merges I found this video to be reminiscent of Guns situation in the early 00's... A record company not knowing what to do with a band.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

At some point they must have really wanted something out, to sink 14 million into it.

Board footer