You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: The Wrestling thread

misterID wrote:

big_smile

misterID

misterID wrote:

Do you remember the Powers of Pain? The LOD/Road Warriors clones? I totally geeked out over them. I met Warlord when I was a kid. Really nice guy. Undertaker walked right past me, and acted exactly like his gimmick.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah I remember them. They were feuding with the Road Warriors and when told they'd be doing a scaffold match with the Road Warriors, they both fled the NWA and went to WWF.....to feud with Demolition.

I liked Barbarian in 85-86 as a singles wrestler. I thought he deserved a run with the National or TV title. Being a member of Paul Jones stable did him no favors. It meant he was stuck in the Jones feuds with Valiant and Billy Graham.

A total waste of potential. He needed JJ Dillon as his manager. Landell and Black Bart got short runs with the National title.... Barbarian could have easily been in their place.

James

James wrote:

I just finished watching the Flair vs Von Erich title match at the 1984 Parade of Champions. It's notable not only for the first and last time a Von Erich would win the world title, it also won match of the year.

For starters....I find it funny that fans gave McMahon shit for years over a supposedly kayfabed crowd number at Wrestlemania III even though it's clearly packed to the rafters....yet this show gets a free pass for being "the largest crowd in Texas Stadium" when there's clearly entire sections completely empty.

On to the match....

It doesn't really hold up when considering the history behind it. It also reinforces everything Flair said years later about the Von Erichs....

Kerry doesn't give a shit.

This should be the most exciting, inspirational day of his life. This match is literally in the memory of his brother. The NWA title has always been the dream.

When Kerry wins...and it was obviously decided on the spot to wrap it up early....Kerry acts like he'd rather be anywhere else. His brothers and other wrestlers fill the ring celebrating yet Kerry's mind is somewhere else.

As a fellow addict, I know where his mind is. He wants to go backstage.

Kerry didn't deserve this opportunity and moment in history. It's unfortunate that he was the most popular of the brothers and got the shot by default.

Kevin had his problems too but I think he would have rose to the occasion. He knew the gravity of the situation.

James

James wrote:

I watched The Crockett Cup last night before going to bed. Yikes.

Here's a clip of highlights...

I've always had issues with this event. It had massive potential and Crockett flushed it down the toilet.

As I mentioned before, the lack of dream matches is the real head scratcher. Unforgivable from a booking standpoint.

Other problems....

Too many DQs and count outs. People aren't here for that shit. Throw this crap on TV if you're not going to allow many clean wins.

The worst tournament bracket in history. The first round has too many shitty, quickly thrown together teams. The first round should've been shown on TV...or just make it a smaller yet stronger bracket.

There were no semi-finals!!!!!! Can you believe it? Thanks to too many double DQs, teams advanced from the quarter finals to the finals!!

Unreal. Can you imagine Mcmahon pulling such a stunt in general but especially at a major event?

The Hacksaw Jim Duggan- Dick Slater match for the UWF/North American title is out of place here. So is the Flair-Dusty match. Flair should've defended the title against a wrestler not in the NWA and Dusty should've been in the tournament with Magnum TA instead of Ron Garvin taking his place.

One more fuck up....

When Crockett released this on VHS/Beta, it was highlights! These tapes weren't cheap back then. Give fans the whole event for fucks sake.

Did anyone see McMahon releasing highlight reels of Wrestlemania? Crockett pulled this same stunt with Bash 85. Bash 85 videotape was 60 minutes!

James

James wrote:

Also claims he wasn't an imitation of Stone Cold which, come on

While they may have had a generally similar look(muscular, bald)...I think it's a bit of a stretch.

Austin had insane off the charts charisma from jump street that allowed him to eventually do the Stone Cold character. Nobody else could've pulled it off.

Goldberg was limited in the charisma department. He was pushed as an invincible monster who squashes everyone in minutes. He also rarely talked. It worked because it hid the fact he had no experience and people bought it.

Once he started opening his mouth...the whole concept started falling apart.

Then when they had him lose the belt to Nash....a HUGE mistake...he never fully recovered.

1990 was Jesse’s swan song in wrestling so I’m glad you got to see him. He’s never really returned other than one offs

Boy did you miss out on a quirky period in WCW.

In 1992 Jesse and Jim Ross were WCW announcers. You could tell Ross hated him and it was uncomfortable to watch. Years later Ross admitted it was a mistake, on him, and he should've figured out a way to make it work.

I need to read his book.

James

James wrote:

Nikita's face turn. Check it out at 2:50. Greatest crowd pop in wrestling history.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I've been watching some old wwf matches (some I've seen, others I haven't), and man, Hogan and Warrior had zero stamina and endurance. There were a lot of headlocks, bear hugs, posing. What's funny, Savage, Funk, Perfect, Dibase and Rude had a great trick of constantly rolling out of the ring to let Hogan rest. I mean, Dusty Rhodes was in nowhere near the shape Hogan was in, but he could carry a match for nearly an hour, consistently.

I never fully appreciated how much Savage carried Warrior in their matches.

James

James wrote:

It also explains why the majority of Hogan's matches were so short. Hell...I remember his title defenses on Saturday Nights Main Event were always between 5-10 minutes.

The iconic Hogan-Andre match at Wrestlemania III was like 13 minutes...and almost half of that was spent either in a bear hug or outside the ring.

Hogan had skills though... he was just lazy.

Warrior was useless. He's the luckiest wrestler in history. He had no skills whatsoever. Didn't know any moves and he was exhausted after his entrance to the ring...which he had to do for the crowd pop.

Squash matches, even in main events, were required to get him over and not expose him as garbage to the crowd.

It didn't surprise me that his WWF title reign was so short. The fans were not interested.

His matches with Savage and Rude an anomaly. Those were ALL Savage and Rude.
If McMahon had never wanted a Hogan clone, Warriors career goes nowhere.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I recall Hogans matches in the 80s would basically be some power moves, the hand press, then him losing, him losing badly, then him put in a headlock while sitting down. The ref lifted his arm to see about submission, the arm fell. Ref lifted again, arm fell. Ref lifted the thrid time, fell halfway, suddenly Hulk got a jolt of energy, stood up, got punched and it didn't affect him, was thrown into the ropes and gave a shoulder shove, then a body slam, then he did the leg drop & pinned his oppenent.

He would lose until the final minute or two.

Board footer