You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Wrestling thread

Sky Dog wrote:
misterID wrote:

Didn't Hogan job/put the belt on Goldberg on Nitro?

Goldberg was a million times worse about putting people over than Hogan. He refused to sell. At least Hogan put Warrior over.

Ha! A couple of buddies and I almost got in a fight with Goldberg outside a bar in Athens, Ga. we told him and some other football players we were going to kick their ass in our intermural softball game. Needless to say I almost caught a beat down. He was an ornery drunk but an actual nice guy. We were drinking together because he was friends with a high school buddy of mine. That obnoxious guy ended up being Disco Inferno!!!!

6 degrees boys

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Goldberg was a million times worse about putting people over than Hogan. He refused to sell. At least Hogan put Warrior over.

Unless my memory fails me...i don’t think Goldberg won that night.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Also, I never heard of Hogan ever fucking with other wrestlers like HBK, Nash and those other guys did. Not only would they hold wrestlers back, they'd get them fired, alter their gimmicks/storylines, haze and harass them. They had a ridiculous habit of shitting in people's suitcases. From what I've read, everyone liked being around Hogan.

From what I gather, Bret Hart was a stand up guy in the locker room.

I’m not saying Hogan would fuck with people...he just wasn’t really willing to work with the 6 foot guys...and if he did he would insist on coming out on top.

Hogan held people back in a different way by not even acknowledging them.

The clique was almost a gang of political allies. If one didn’t like you, they all didn’t. But no one individual had the clout of Hogan.

I think this was mentioned before but there was allegedly a verbal agreement that Hulk would pass the torch to Bret at Summerslam 93 by giving Bret a clean victory. Obviously that never happened.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:
misterID wrote:

Ha! A couple of buddies and I almost got in a fight with Goldberg outside a bar in Athens, Ga. we told him and some other football players we were going to kick their ass in our intermural softball game. Needless to say I almost caught a beat down. He was an ornery drunk but an actual nice guy. We were drinking together because he was friends with a high school buddy of mine. That obnoxious guy ended up being Disco Inferno!!!!

6 degrees boys

Awesome!

misterID

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

I could be wrong but I don’t think this is the first match they had against each other. But we’re talking about 25 years ago now so i might be wrong.

misterID

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Also, I never heard of Hogan ever fucking with other wrestlers like HBK, Nash and those other guys did. Not only would they hold wrestlers back, they'd get them fired, alter their gimmicks/storylines, haze and harass them. They had a ridiculous habit of shitting in people's suitcases. From what I've read, everyone liked being around Hogan.

I’m not saying Hogan would fuck with people...he just wasn’t really willing to work with the 6 foot guys...and if he did he would insist on coming out on top.

The clique was almost a gang of political allies. If one didn’t like you, they all didn’t. But no one individual had the clout of Hogan.

I think this was mentioned before but there was allegedly a verbal agreement that Hulk would pass the torch to Bret at Summerslam 93 by giving Bret a clean victory. Obviously that never happened.

Dude, the clique were terrible, and the main reason McMahon fucked over Bret. Hell, a big reason WWE sucks is because of HHH's clout, even before marrying Steph. Hogan never had the pull HHH does. Hogan was the franchise, he brought in the money, and he was an incredibly savvy business man in the wrestling business, which he had to be considering Vince was a major slimebag. Back then, Hulk's whole gimmick was being indestructible, and a lot of people still thought it was real. You had to protect that image, right?

misterID

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I could be wrong but I don’t think this is the first match they had against each other. But we’re talking about 25 years ago now so i might be wrong.

It was their first match. You might be thinking of Sting

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

It was their first match. You might be thinking of Sting

Oh shit you're right...it was Sting...good on ya...

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Dude, the clique were terrible, and the main reason McMahon fucked over Bret. Hell, a big reason WWE sucks is because of HHH's clout, even before marrying Steph. Hogan never had the pull HHH does. Hogan was the franchise, he brought in the money, and he was an incredibly savvy business man in the wrestling business, which he had to be considering Vince was a major slimebag. Back then, Hulk's whole gimmick was being indestructible, and a lot of people still thought it was real. You had to protect that image, right?

I'm not gonna argue with you...the clique and their politics and methods were horrible...

I recently read an article that Vince basically spent the equivalent of Bret's contract on a one time appearance by Mike Tyson at WM 14 just a few short month after claiming he wanted out of the contract with Bret because he couldn't afford the contract. Why does that matter? Because it's clear Vince DID have the money...so there must have been another reason.

As far as protecting the indestructible thing...yeah...I get that...and ok maybe Bret wasn't the right guy at the right time...clearly Hogan reinvented himself and had another fantasic run or two.

But it's 2020 and Hulk really hasn't anointed anyone. He hasn't passed the torch the way Andre so clearly and effectively did. This, imho, is one of the many reasons wrestling is in the shitter.

Board footer