You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Evo's favourite movies of the 21st century so far

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Was never a fan of bladerunner ... 2049 or the original

I even rewatched the original when 2049 came out...

The whole Blade Runner thing is reminiscent of Tron...an old movie where its cult following perceives it to be bigger(and better) than it really was.

Best thing about Blade Runner was Sean Young.

I do need to watch this though.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Sean Young was ruined when she became Ray Finckle .... lol

AtariLegend wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I have no words.

2049 for those who haven't seen it is a pretty faithful in terms of tone/filiming to the original as a sequel. It is not a commercial reboot or tribute act.

Despite being very expensive and looking gorgeous, it's not an attempt to do something new as one might expect. It's a long 3 hr, slow sci fi thriller and very comparable to the original. Critics loved it, but hardly anyone seen it.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

Yea it definately was faithful to the orig world builiding and mythos....5th element was another movie that isn't for me...and the expanse...just not my kinda thing

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Sean Young was ruined when she became Ray Finckle .... lol

Hollywood should be ashamed of ruining her career.

Was she an out of control, eccentric, egotistical alcoholic? Yes...but that didn't warrant blackballing her at a crucial point in her career.

She was lucky to even get Ace Ventura. They were already in the process of derailing her career at that point.

Julia Roberts wound up having the career Sean Young should've had.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

Well Courtney Cox's career took off after Ace Ventura

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

Slightly OT...but what I love in Blade Runner is the nonchalant way Harrison says "tell him I'm eating" when he's getting hassled by the cops at the street vendor food place. It's classic Harrison Ford.

He has so much charisma - he just kinda makes me wish I was that cool...hahah.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

The whole Blade Runner thing is reminiscent of Tron...an old movie where its cult following perceives it to be bigger(and better) than it really was.

I like Rutger Hauer in it as well.  Blade Runner looks good in high def.  But man that film just drags for me...and I love neo-noir too.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Love me some Asian flicks. They still have that magic in the story telling that Hollywood seems to have abandoned. Special shout out to the Korean movie industry. Those folks put out some cracking movies.

There was an obscure Asian slasher flick that completely blew my mind. I don't remember the name. I should try to find it.

When Hollywood started remaking the 80s slasher classics, I was hoping they would call that director.

You're right... Hollywood lost it's way. That's why I started diving into foreign horror.

I really should rediscover those classics.

Ever watched Visitor Q? What a mind fuck. Even though the US was drowning in reality Tv culture, we never could've made a film like that.

There's another thing that's always bothered me about Hollywood...remakes.  Now they are re-imagining blockbusters from the 80s and the 90s which is probably even lazier.

Speaking of obscure 80s Asian films...I watched one a while ago called Evil Dead Trap.  Really effective slasher film.  Nobody makes more effective horror films than the Japanese.

I've mentioned my love for Miike before.  And Visitor Q is a unique film. I really need to rewatch it...last time I watched it netflix was still mostly known for dvd rentals.  It's also the type of film that most US audiences would never get.

Someone mentioned Korean films, I watched Train to Busan.  That was a really effective take on the zombie film.  I really hope that Hollywood stays the fuck away from remaking that one.

Even something like John Wick is sort of ripping off the old 80s-90s John Woo films.  The second John Wick film was pretty mediocre because it was just him piling up bodies and kills.  That doesn't really work if you don't give a shit about any of the characters.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

James. I didn't know Hollywood went out of its way to ruin Sean Young. I liked her in everything I saw her in (even "Stripes") but you're right, she kind of disappeared. What's the backstory on that?

Board footer