You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Evo's favourite movies of the 21st century so far

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

James. I didn't know Hollywood went out of its way to ruin Sean Young. I liked her in everything I saw her in (even "Stripes") but you're right, she kind of disappeared. What's the backstory on that?

Her psychotic relationship with and then stalking of James Woods quickly followed by her getting dropped from Batman and then trying to force her way into the sequel is what led to her downfall. She also was dropped from Dick Tracy at the same time.

Other than landing Ace Ventura, it was B movies from there on out.

A real shame. Up until 1990, her career was skyrocketing. You can watch movies like No Way Out, The Boost, etc and see a major star in the making.

Then it was over.

Speaking of actresses headed to the stratosphere and the mission aborts, I've always wondered what really happened with Winona Ryder. I know the official story but it doesn't add up.

James

James wrote:

There's another thing that's always bothered me about Hollywood...remakes.  Now they are re-imagining blockbusters from the 80s and the 90s which is probably even lazier.

I'd prefer they start remaking more obscure films from that era. It would also bring more attention to the originals.

But it's all about branding nowadays.

The Burning
Happy Birthday To Me

Do something with those.

Speaking of Hollywood remakes and Mike...

Let him remake Videodrome.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

A real shame. Up until 1990, her career was skyrocketing. You can watch movies like No Way Out, The Boost, etc and see a major star in the making.

Then it was over.

Speaking of actresses headed to the stratosphere and the mission aborts, I've always wondered what really happened with Winona Ryder. I know the official story but it doesn't add up.

No Way Out was a great 80s film to me.  It has almost everything I want---chase scenes, deception, pretty good plotting and characters.

What exactly was the "official story"?  I just assumed she lost the helium/hollywood push when she starred in a few 90s disappointments like the Crucible.  And the shoplifting thing kind of made her a pariah (kind undeserved and hypocritical as there are far worse pervs in Hollywood).

James wrote:

There's another thing that's always bothered me about Hollywood...remakes.  Now they are re-imagining blockbusters from the 80s and the 90s which is probably even lazier.

I'd prefer they start remaking more obscure films from that era. It would also bring more attention to the originals.

But it's all about branding nowadays.

The Burning
Happy Birthday To Me

Do something with those.

Speaking of Hollywood remakes and Mike...

Let him remake Videodrome.

Depends. Do you really want some hack remaking Spookies (just bringing up some really random 80s obscure horror film)?  Or do these films really need to be remade?  With the numerous streaming or downloading options almost all obscure films hit the "scene" at some point. 

Miike and Videodrome would be really interesting.  He'd have to reign in the violence a bit.  But it could be done.  Did you watch Chan Wook Park's Stoker. It's his only Hollywood film at this point.   It's a really well made and has his usual style and energy.

James

James wrote:

Never watched it.

I went from being a hardcoreChan Wook Park nutswinger in 2007-08 to not watching any of his films afterwards.

I just checked his filmography. Definitely a few on that list that I have to check out.

As far as Miike Videodrome goes....he could update it using social media, viral footage, and memetic engineering.

Throw it in our faces Visitor Q style.

Winona....

That's the basic story. A couple mediocre films and bombs combined with the shoplifting scandal and she never recovered.

I think she probably refused to sleep with one or several big shots and she was phased out of the A list.

She was expecting to be one of the major stars. Hell...she started her own production company at 19.

I watched Reality Bites recently. Great movie. It really is a killer snapshot of Generation X.

Speaking of our generation....I've always wanted a movie or even a book highlighting how our generation had so much hope and promise in the 90s yet it somehow got pissed away and we slipped through the cracks to being a mere footnote in history.

We never even got to run the world. The Boomers held on for dear life and the baton gets passed to those who came after.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

James, a friend of mine wrote a book. It's pretty good, kindof the life of a Gen-Xer in the 80s. Casette tapes, MTV, the 6 oclock news, fireworks etc. Runs from like age 5 to 18. You might get a kick outof it.  https://www.amazon.com/Be-Home-Dinner-C … B07QYBR4ZF

Yeah Winona definitely suffered from the shoplifting thing. Although, admittedly its a pretty good career killer for a Hollywood elite. I also think when wmen turn 30 there's just always someone younger casted & roles are hard to come by. I read recently that Chevy Chase's Mom in Christmas vacation was only like  2 years old than Chevy Chase. Many films like Marvel Star Wars, Bombshell etc cast older actors (Pitt, DiCaprio) yet the female lead is in her 20s. Remember Megan Fox & Jessica Alba years ago?

Julia Roberts lasted, Sandra Bullock too maybe, but have many of them done much recently?  The scripts & roles just aren't there.

I agree unfortunately Gen X never got much of a chance to lead. Google & Elon Musk maybe are two of the bigger inventions & biz leaders maybe.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Winona has seen a resurgence in her career with stranger things

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

As far as Miike Videodrome goes....he could update it using social media, viral footage, and memetic engineering.

Throw it in our faces Visitor Q style.

This sounds like a modernized version of One Missed Call (Japanese version) which sounds pretty interesting to me.  Speaking of in your face Miike movies, Lesson of the Evil is another one.  It's like uber violent and will never be re-made probably.  Because it sort hits multiple taboos that people in this country would find too shocking.

James wrote:

Winona....

That's the basic story. A couple mediocre films and bombs combined with the shoplifting scandal and she never recovered.

I think she probably refused to sleep with one or several big shots and she was phased out of the A list.

She was expecting to be one of the major stars. Hell...she started her own production company at 19.

I tend to lean toward this theory only because she kinda flamed out her 20s.  It wasn't like she got pigeonholed into roles.  You can tell which actress sleeps with the bigwigs (yeah, I know it's un PC but it's the truth) by how many movies that person had that came out in one year or so.  That Danish actress Vikander had like 4 or 5 films that came out in one year.

James

James wrote:

That story doesn't sound bad. It can't be easy writing such stories. It would be so easy to fall into the trap of going down the list of 80s cliches.

Movies do this too. I love the movie Let Me In. It's set in the 80s. It's well done....but how do they set the mood of the 80s?

The kids go to the arcade and eat Now and Laters while Greg Kihn's The Breakup Song plays in the background. tongue

I'll throw it in my bookmarks. Unfortunately I don't read Kindle so it's paperback or bust for me. I just never got into online book reading.

. I also think when wmen turn 30 there's just always someone younger casted & roles are hard to come by.

Yep....this is unfortunate.

Amy Adams might be the 21st century s Meryl Streep. Unfortunately for her(and us), she didn't get noticed until she was 28. While she's had a great career obviously, imagine what she could've done if she hadn't been a late bloomer.

Rebecca Ferguson spent her career on Swedish soap operas and didn't get noticed here until she was in her early 30s.

Actresses like Alba, Fox, Heard, etc are more like eye candy than legitimate actresses such as Adams. Longevity was never in the cards. Once their male fan base either grows up or moves on to the next It Girl being promoted, it's over.

Alba probably had a shot. Marriage probably helped bring an end to that.

If you're a female sex symbol.....DO NOT get married. The image crumbles.

I feel sorry for the types like Mischa Barton. Someone with actual talent who fucks, snorts, and fame whores it all away in their teens/early 20s and now that they're aging, very little chance of a real comeback.

The John Travoltas of the world make comebacks.

The Mischa Bartons don't.

Board footer