You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: who all here owns a gun?

mitchejw wrote:

I am deeply opposed to guns but the past year (especially the past week) has slowly convinced me that I can't pretend anymore the world is as safe a place as it was just a few years ago and it appears to be escalating rapidly.

I am learning about FOID cards at the moment.

I was wondering if anyone on this board had a gun and if they had any advice or tips for a newbie. I don't need anything fancy or meant to impress others, I just need to know I can protect my family if needed.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I did then sold it. Then there was an incident on the freeway where this psycho follows me off the exit, then pulls up next to me at a red light and starts screaming "I'm going to get you!" I rolled my window down and said, " what? " he says, "you're gonna pay for what you did!"

Now this guy looks like Igor just jumped out of deliverance, and he's driving this shitty truck hauling a pedophile-looking trailer. I noticed him coming off an exit onto the highway because his ride was so nasty, but I didn't think anything of it until this moment. The light changes, and I'm like, fuck you. So I drive off and the dude starts following me home. Every time I look in the rearview he's making a gun symbol at his head and pointing at me, while talking out loud. I reach for my gun... Not there, I sold it. Long story short, I call the cops, and lead him on this big goose chase where the police are waiting. I pull into an auto zone, the cops converge on him, and this psycho jumps out of his truck and charges my car... With the police surrounding him.

Apparently, he said I tried to run him off the road, I caused a major accident that made another car flip into the median... Of course the cops contacted highway patrol, found it was all a lie, and they told him to get the fuck out of town.

I'm going to buy another gun. Probably a 9mm Walther. Maybe a .38 automatic, nothing with big recoil. Really, just someone seeing it will typically end a confrontation. 9mm is good. Get lessons, though.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Ardently against having one in my home, but I've been asking myself the past week if I should change that stance.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Rifle and shotgun. If I didn't hunt I wouldn't have one.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I can offer a tip. Dont pull out a gun unless you're going to pull the trigger. I had a friend who made that mistake and paid for it. Go to a shooting range. Try out some models. See what your comfortable with and go from there. A lot of ranges offer lessons and information and can help you make the choice thats best for you.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

I did then sold it. Then there was an incident on the freeway where this psycho follows me off the exit, then pulls up next to me at a red light and starts screaming "I'm going to get you!" I rolled my window down and said, " what? " he says, "you're gonna pay for what you did!"

Now this guy looks like Igor just jumped out of deliverance, and he's driving this shitty truck hauling a pedophile-looking trailer. I noticed him coming off an exit onto the highway because his ride was so nasty, but I didn't think anything of it until this moment. The light changes, and I'm like, fuck you. So I drive off and the dude starts following me home. Every time I look in the rearview he's making a gun symbol at his head and pointing at me, while talking out loud. I reach for my gun... Not there, I sold it. Long story short, I call the cops, and lead him on this big goose chase where the police are waiting. I pull into an auto zone, the cops converge on him, and this psycho jumps out of his truck and charges my car... With the police surrounding him.

Apparently, he said I tried to run him off the road, I caused a major accident that made another car flip into the median... Of course the cops contacted highway patrol, found it was all a lie, and they told him to get the fuck out of town.

I'm going to buy another gun. Probably a 9mm Walther. Maybe a .38 automatic, nothing with big recoil. Really, just someone seeing it will typically end a confrontation. 9mm is good. Get lessons, though.

I definitely will get lessons. I'm almost considering not even loading as stupid as that sounds. I'm hoping just having it to pull out when the times comes would be enough.

I know that's irrational though.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Ardently against having one in my home, but I've been asking myself the past week if I should change that stance.

I totally agree...I never thought I'd be considering this...but how many times can I hear Scott Bao tell me his side has all the guns?

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

I can offer a tip. Dont pull out a gun unless you're going to pull the trigger. I had a friend who made that mistake and paid for it. Go to a shooting range. Try out some models. See what your comfortable with and go from there. A lot of ranges offer lessons and information and can help you make the choice thats best for you.

How did he pay the price if you don't mind me asking?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

I definitely will get lessons. I'm almost considering not even loading as stupid as that sounds. I'm hoping just having it to pull out when the times comes would be enough.

I know that's irrational though.

Well, it's not totally a bad idea if it makes you comfortable. I'd suggest non lethal bullets until you're ready. I mean, you don't want to get into a position where you're pointing an empty gun at someone who means you harm. They have all kinds, like plastic and rubber. When you get lessons, bring it up with your instructor.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

How did he pay the price if you don't mind me asking?

The other guy intended on pulling the trigger. Now my buddy walks like an asshole cause he used a gun as a backbone. Firm believer in guns aren't for everyone. You need to look within and ask yourself if you really should possess something so powerful and answer yourself honestly.

Board footer