You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Axl and The Boss....

James wrote:

Until a few minutes ago, it had been a long time since seeing this.

I remember back in the day only getting to read about this performance taking place. The HOF wasn't a huge deal like it is today. It was mainly for those in attendance.

The story behind it was always cool.....Axl practically begging Bruce to do it...who had no intention of performing that night. Finally got him to say yes and Axl wrote the lyrics down on a piece of paper for them to go over.

Even without the backstory, it's easy to tell that it was spontaneous. They both keep looking at one another as if they're unsure about who's going to do which part.

The performance is great....but it's bittersweet. It is literally the last time the world will ever see the "classic" Axl Rose.  The next time the world sees him is briefly on the news four years later in a photograph with short hair after being arrested. The next time after that, we're in the 2000s with the CD era underway and the various looks from that period... from the bizarre NBA segment to the jerseys and Predator hairstyle.

It's also a brief glimpse of 'What could've been...'  had he not went into hermit mode in the mid 90s. Collaborations, duets with icons, showing up at major events, etc.

I wish he did interviews and was willing to do deep dives into his career and personal life. I'd love to know why he allowed his career to nosedive at such a crucial point in time. GNR or no GNR, he had too much to offer the world to just vanish.

I'd like to know if he regrets sitting idle(publicly anyways) from 95 to 00.

Fast forward to 2016....

The Axl/DC and Billy Joel performance was another glimpse of what could've been.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

Axl is addicted to the apex fallacy.

Victory or Death is a nice sentiment and summarized his rise to fame very well. But survival and most gains are also a victory.

Unfortunately ignorance and luxury has isolated him from these truths. Now laziness and inaction dominate, again bolstered from the reunion windfall.

He could finish the back of his career strong. In all likelihood, he’ll finish it on the couch.

Yes, cool vid.

James

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Unfortunately ignorance and luxury has isolated him from these truths. Now laziness and inaction dominate, again bolstered from the reunion windfall.

Yeah I've wondered if too much success too soon and literal mountains of cash within a few years are the main reason for walking away.

When you're sitting on a gold mine in your early 30s and go into a funk of some sort, the insane wealth lessens any incentive or drive to get back out there.

By the time he did decide to make a second attempt, pop culture is already passing him by.

He could finish the back of his career strong. In all likelihood, he’ll finish it on the couch.

He really does need a swan song to bookend his spotty resume. Out of all the major music legends, it's pretty much the smallest. There's legends who died at 27 with more material than him.

There's no going back...he can't fix it. The best he can do is one final album to wrap it all up.

Like you...I don't think he has it in him. When 2016 got underway it looked like the fire was back. GNR, Axl/DC, Billy Joel....it felt like he was making up for lost time. I was excited...

Then 2017....2018....2019....2020.....2021....

While I was very confident something was going to happen those first couple years of the reunion, there were a couple signs that it was just the CD era on steroids with them cashing in their chips for retirement money....

Slash and Duff....two people who love giving interviews....stop talking and when they finally do, say nothing of substance.

The collosal fuckup with the AFD box set. Clearly meant for the anniversary but didn't happen. It showed that the more things change, the more they stay the same.  The cherry on top was the obscene price. It showed that it was still amateur hour when it came to management. Not a good sign when it comes to wanting new material.

Just no drive. None from the labels side of the fence either. Couldn't even be bothered to do what most major acts who reunite do...release some sort of GH or live compilation.

Sky Dog wrote:

But he’s in a Scooby Doo cartoon now! This is the start of something really big!

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Interesting vid & yeah cool take on it being sorta 'the last time' we got to see the OG Axl.

Yeah, I'd love to see even a 20/20 or 60 Minutes interview of him. Just what happened. TBH, in addition to what Wags said about money & success early, infighting & the band leaving etc, I think the element of crazy or perfectionist factors in. Kinda like Michael Jackson, had somewhat 'all the money in the world'. Live in a mansion, buy expensive cars etc. Collect Royalties. I'd be curious how much they made those years 95-00.  IMHO in the US Guns kinda wasn't hot thru 94, and fell in between in old style traditional radio by not yet being Classic Rock, and not New/Alternative. I'm not sure sporting stadiums were playing WTTJ or PC yet either due to their topical matter (drug use etc). Both seemed to come back around in the early 2000s imho.

I think I posted this before but here's a link to a college alumni magazine of mine where a graduate worked in Atlantic City hotels. Of note to the right in one of the final paragraphs mentions Axls need to fully drape his hotel room. Also earlier it mentions his 2am room service order.  Just kinda shows the guys a bit nuts, although, in Rock N Roll maybe those two aren't quite so extreme  (the wording of the draping requirement seems to indicate it was a bit testing her patience, so I'd read between the lines with that. I didn't know her btw, she's much younger)

https://issuu.com/kutztownuniversity/do … singles/10

Sky Dog wrote:

You know, maybe Axl needs lyrics from John Lennon and some shitty guitar licks from The Boss to inspire his muse. He is special. And, the great news is he has Slash and Duff back! Yep, new music and artistry first! They will make Axl release new music or they are going to leave for their really awe inspiring solo careers! Or, they are all really money grubbing whores on a never ending cash grab. It is too funny to sit here 5 years later from the big money laundering scheme and still see not one fucking note of new music.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

Just no drive. None from the labels side of the fence either. Couldn't even be bothered to do what most major acts who reunite do...release some sort of GH or live compilation.

All they ultimately did was re-release Greatest Hits on vinyl and add Shadow of Your Love... it's just boring.

James

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

It is too funny to sit here 5 years later from the big money laundering scheme and still see not one fucking note of new music.

The reunion run is almost as long as the 87-93 run.

In a year and a half it will be as long as the Beatles run.

It's already longer than The Doors run.....

All they ultimately did was re-release Greatest Hits on vinyl and add Shadow of Your Love... it's just boring.

It's worse than that.... it's shameful.

I've said this before but I wish they had went the Billy Joel route and just told everyone no new music ever again and everything is just about touring the classics.

Just like with Joel, they still would've been a successful touring unit.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

The problem is their discography is absurdly small for a "touring the classics" outfit. They kind of need new material.

Sky Dog wrote:

It is what it is at this point. neutral

Board footer