You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: Appetite For Distortion - Episode 256: 90s and 00s Axl Stories

Axl S wrote:

Only part way through but this is the dude who wrote that 2000 Rolling Stone article where he got to hear TWAT, Catcher, IRS and Oklahoma. At one of Axl's halloween parties where he dresses up in animal costumes now.

Big scoop so far is right before he hears CD, Jimmy Iovine tells him "in my opinion it's not Guns N' Roses unless Slash is there". Kind of telling of where the record company was at mindset wise even back then.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

In hindsight.....

GNR were simply too iconic for the lead singer to ditch the classic lineup and remake it in his own "vision".

Did Jagger dump Richards? Plant dump Page? James dump Lars? Bono dump The Edge?

No.

Why? Because they were smart enough to know it wasn't feasible and instead of doing that, you either go solo or just work it out.

It's not all on Axl though. Slash shoulders part of the blame. Like Keith Richards told him...

You NEVER leave.

He gave Axl the upper hand by simply walking out the door and due to the juvenile bullshit and various hangers on, the relationship wasn't salvageable and 20+ years had to transpire before they both needed a hefty chunk of retirement money and decided to reach a truce.

While we have no idea of the inner workings, I guarantee that relationship never truly recovered.

While the big 3 may be back together, the spirit of GNR is long gone.

Iovine was right and hardcore fans were only kidding themselves.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

An excellent interview with a great subject and it recalls how far we’ve fallen in terms of the music industry in the macro and journalism in the micro. Wild is humorous, insightful, and humanizing.

The saga is much like a long ago divorce: time to move on. Axl and GnR can do that by having the courage to deliver a new baby.

Here’s hopin’.

Sky Dog wrote:
James wrote:

In hindsight.....

GNR were simply too iconic for the lead singer to ditch the classic lineup and remake it in his own "vision".

No.

Why? Because they were smart enough to know it wasn't feasible and instead of doing that, you either go solo or just work it out.

It's not all on Axl though. Slash shoulders part of the blame. Like Keith Richards told him...

You NEVER leave.

He gave Axl the upper hand by simply walking out the door and due to the juvenile bullshit and various hangers on, the relationship wasn't salvageable and 20+ years had to transpire before they both needed a hefty chunk of retirement money and decided to reach a truce.

While we have no idea of the inner workings, I guarantee that relationship never truly recovered.

I agree...as much as it pains me. However, if you are going to slice the cheese thin, the big three were Axl-Slash-Izzy....Duff in the clean up spot.

Sky Dog wrote:

Duff was dessert! Consigliere

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:
James wrote:

In hindsight.....

No.

You NEVER leave.

I agree...as much as it pains me. However, if you are going to slice the cheese thin, the big three were Axl-Slash-Izzy....Duff in the clean up spot.

87-91.... absolutely.

As far as songwriting goes and putting the band together, the image, etc. I would rank Izzy ahead of Slash.

It was never, EVER the same from the minute he walked out the door. They literally were unable to put together any original material without him. Yes we can whip up a laundry list of excuses as to other reasons why but the facts speak for themselves.

Four years and change since the reunion and this is still a fact.

Duff's position was elevated due to his fame continuing into the 2000s with VR and how he marketed himself.

Izzy's position nosedived the moment he left and continued to spiral into a black hole due to his under the radar releases, lack of touring, and pop culture forgetting his existence.

I don't care what the reasons were.....

Not going to the RNR Hall of Fame was a huge mistake. Any sliver of leverage he may have had in a potential future reunion died that day.

His minor appearances in the Chinese era meant nothing. They meant something at that moment...a thaw in the Axl-Izzy standoff and to help cement new GNR but it was nothing in the grand scheme.

He had no leverage when it was time to cash in the chips. He was the Bernie Leadon in this dynamic. Henley(Axl) and Frey(Slash) didn't need or want him. Too many other cast members to choose from so why bother with someone who will want a piece of the pie?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

There's no doubt in my mind that the sabotaging of Axl and CD to get a reunion actually delayed the reunion by ten years, at least.

Sky Dog wrote:

No doubt...

Sky Dog wrote:

Talking to myself but Izzy leaving threw Axl off which ultimately fucked everyone

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:
misterID wrote:

There's no doubt in my mind that the sabotaging of Axl and CD to get a reunion actually delayed the reunion by ten years, at least.

Exactly. And it happened countless times.

We could’ve had a proper Gilmour Floyd / Van Hagar era or it could’ve fallen on its face.

Board footer