You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Appetite For Distortion - Episode 256: 90s and 00s Axl Stories

Sky Dog wrote:

You can analyze it to death. The simple fact is it took “Gnr” 17 years to produce another album of original material and the rhythm guitar playing on that record is awful. izzy

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Izzy is a flake and not dependable and that pisses off Axl, Slash, and Duff. Slash lives to tour and play live music. There is a lot of great stuff on snake pit. Izzy is a very good song writer and can be great when involved with Axl and Slash. Slash has out worked them all and there is so much good material he has released there GNR could have made really incredible

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Sigh.  If only the red head had 1/10 the work ethic of Slash.  The stuff on Snakepit is good with Axl singing it would have been great.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Its a strange one. On the one hand Slash is constantly putting out content and working and keeps the hustle alive. However, I haven't enjoyed any of his output since his solo album in 2010 - the last time he sounded inspired. He was disappointing on my NITL show - I fully expected him to be MVP but it was Axl and Duff of the original 3 who really impressed.

Axl is so hit and miss and so much appears to be mental as well as physical. Imagine if Axl properly got in shape? Whats preventing him? Genes? He was a whippet and focused on aerobic/cardio health in the early 90s. Surely a proper personal trainer and dietician would do the world of good. It would also alleviate his mental frailties as well - there is nothing better for mental health than regular exercise.

NITL has been a mixed bag. I am glad it happened and thinking back 5 years ago - it sure was exciting. But so many missed opportunities. I'm all about new material but it does need to be strong - Slash and Duff have shown they don't subscribe to the higher standards of quality necessarily but Axl just takes it to a ridiculous extreme. I guess we should just enjoy it while it lasts - I have 2 shows to look forward to in November that look like they very well may harbour in a new post-covid era. 1 more proper GN'R album to wrap things up and I can die relatively happy.

kemmep
 Rep: 1 

kemmep wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Sigh.  If only the red head had 1/10 the work ethic of Slash.  The stuff on Snakepit is good with Axl singing it would have been great.

I think there is a difference between recording and releasing music. Axl has a record studio at home, so maybe he recorded hundreds of songs? I think the problem is:

1. Legal conflict with the record company. He still has to deliver 1 album and then wants to be independent. The label wants to renew the contract with leads to a legal vacuum (remind axl's "victory or dead" attitude...);
2. Afraid to failure when he puts out an new record (perfectiosm). Just lay some vocals like he did with the contribution to Baz his album (Angel Down) or rock the rock. That was pure rnr.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

I bought Art Tavana's book awhile back, but just now started reading it. Axl really is a nutjob in terms of the spiritual stuff he believes. I had no idea that Erin Everly testified in court that Axl believed he had successfully transferred the souls of their dead dogs into new dogs. And that's just the tip of the iceberg with his beliefs, I'm sure.

Board footer