You are not logged in. Please register or login.

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 1 

Re: WTF happened to…Catcher in the Rye

davegnfnr2k wrote:
James wrote:

No matter how you approach a CD tracklist in an alternate universe, you're sorta boxed in to including a specific set of songs due to them being mentioned from jump street....

Chinese Democracy
The Blues
Madagascar
Prostitute
Catcher in the Rye
There Was A Time

This I Love probably goes in this category as well... although I would gladly exclude it.

You only have room to add maybe 5-6 tracks.

Before someone says Catcher is meant for the third album....

Bullshit....it's one of the best songs he's got.

It's going on the first album.

Looking back on all this stuff.... it's a head scratcher how they had the nerve to pull the trigger on Oh My God when the world is watching and so much rides on it.

It was the right time to unveil a new song....

....but the wrong soundtrack.

They were boxed into a certain style. It had to thematically fit with everything else on it.

The only songs possible...

Oh My God
Silkworms
State of Grace

Grace probably isn't possible at that point...so that leaves Silkworms.

Can that make any waves in 1999? Maybe. It's a Prodigy knockoff...it might chart. Other than that, it sinks like a stone due to no follow through, the fact they still don't have the best song on the soundtrack, etc.

It's unfortunate that a film like The Sixth Sense, Fight Club, The Matrix, didn't want a new GNR song.

It could've been a game changer.

If the world gets to hear something like Catcher in the Rye, The Blues, etc in 1999, it creates genuine anticipation and the label then has an incentive to tit in stores.

I disagree, silkworms was mentioned from jump street and even played live and it was not on CD.  So none of those songs needed to be on the first album 

Also silkworms would have been a great song if not for the terrible lyrics.  The music of silkworms is great, its the lyrics that take it down a notch.

CITR the version that made the album was total garbage and it ruined the song.  The Brian May version is the one that should have made the album.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Silkworms was never pushed as some amazing song.

Every song on my list above was pushed as such since that Spin article in 1999.

So none of those songs needed to be on the first album

Yeah they did. All the promotion/hype in 98-00 revolved around those songs.

Silkworms got a shitty response and was immediately dropped....never to be mentioned again until years later when Axl brought up it had been changed when asked....never to be mentioned again.

Yes the final version of Catcher is garbage but in a world where this album comes out in 2000-01, it only exists in its original form.

davegnfnr2k

davegnfnr2k wrote:
James wrote:

Silkworms was never pushed as some amazing song.

Every song on my list above was pushed as such since that Spin article in 1999.

So none of those songs needed to be on the first album

Yeah they did. All the promotion/hype in 98-00 revolved around those songs.

Silkworms got a shitty response and was immediately dropped....never to be mentioned again until years later when Axl brought up it had been changed when asked....never to be mentioned again.

Yes the final version of Catcher is garbage but in a world where this album comes out in 2000-01, it only exists in its original form.

Well on my original list CITR was on the 2002 album.
And even if you want to put those songs you mentioned on the album like you said that still leaves room for 6 other songs.

Those could be Hard School, Atlas, Perhaps, Oklahoma, Quick song and the Rebel.

That would be a killer album too

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I still think a guitar based version of silkworms could be cool. Would give it a zep vibe.

Like if you had slash doing that keys riff on guitar with a kinda a "whole lotta love" feel to it....and Axl in angry mode....

Not really into the techno version but I sorta hear a concept that would rock up well in there. Mind you unlikely it will ever happen now pitman has been banished to the outer darkness.

davegnfnr2k

davegnfnr2k wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I still think a guitar based version of silkworms could be cool. Would give it a zep vibe.

Like if you had slash doing that keys riff on guitar with a kinda a "whole lotta love" feel to it....and Axl in angry mode....

Not really into the techno version but I sorta hear a concept that would rock up well in there. Mind you unlikely it will ever happen now pitman has been banished to the outer darkness.

slash sucks now he should go no where near the CD era songs. He butchers all of them.  If anyone was going to redo guitar work on CD era songs it should be Fortus.

Board footer