You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Haters Gonna Hate
 Rep: 1 

Re: We don't really expect a new setlist do we?

Here is the listing https://www.ebay.com/itm/255074411901?h … Sw2jZhBxXX He says it was given to him by someone in the crew. Everything else seems legit on his seller page so idk. Very odd. A lot of those Alt songs were in sound check.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

Supposing this setlist is legit, maybe it's a coincidence and it's another unreleased CD era track that has been renamed into "Absurd"? It just can't be Silkworms (it was written by Pitman and Dizzy - and Axl, I suppose)... Or can be? Unless Axl wants to reward Pitman or something.

By the way, I have wondered if Axl would want to keep "Atlas Shrugged" as a song title. Maybe he doesn't want it to be associated with Ayn Rand anymore.

Atlas Shrugged could easily be renamed Follow Your Heart or something like that.

Another reason to update song titles... although doubt it's why they'd do it....

It erases the history of the songs.... for a casual fan anyways. They know nothing about the history of CD II and with new song titles...never will. They become fresh songs!

Hardschool....no one called it this until a leak
Absurd....you'd have to dig through fan sites for its history
Atlas Shrugged into whatever....same as Silkworms
Oklahoma into Berlin....he mentioned the title change once now buried in chat logs.

It allows the creation of a new comeback reunion album where you've retconned new GNR out of the story.

James

James wrote:
Haters Gonna Hate wrote:

Here is the listing https://www.ebay.com/itm/255074411901?h … Sw2jZhBxXX He says it was given to him by someone in the crew. Everything else seems legit on his seller page so idk. Very odd. A lot of those Alt songs were in sound check.

It's real.....using Absurd as the title for Silkworms is too creative for a faker. They would've just tossed Silkworms in there to troll everyone.

I also think a faker wouldn't have stopped at Silkworms....go big or go home....

We would've seen other new songs included.

James

James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:
James wrote:

Soul Monster a lock?

Nothing is a lock.

Who wrote Soul Monster? Would the GNR camp want that person getting royalties now?

Does Slash like the song? How about Duff?

I agree in spirit that if Silkworms is in contention for anything....all bets are off and a potential album could have a very unusual track list.

Whatever they're doing...I hope it's soon.

Edit

I would imagine Buckethead songs are off limits. He cares nothing about GNR and I doubt he will be continually rewarded for that stance.

1.Pitman was the writer for Silkworms, and while we don't know what the new version sounds like, I think he wrote the basic structure that is the backbone of the song so I don't know if he could be denied writing credits. If Axl is willing to give royalties to Pitman I doubt he would have a problem with doing so with Bucket.

2.As of the December 2008 chats Axl seemed to have a positive opinion of Bucket and I doubt Bucket simply never saying anything about GNR would make Axl sour on him in the last decade. Bucket says almost nothing about anything.

3.If it was an issue, I think it would be easy to complete strip off the guitars from a song like SM (assuming it is in fact MAME) and just letting Slash write the thing entirely anew, denying Bucket royalties. Once again I think this would be easier than taking what Pitman wrote out of Silkworms.

4.If Axl has not written much in the way of new music in the last decade (all speculation but I think it's where the evidence lies, Slash/Duff have referenced the vault music in dozens in interviews and never a single mention of a new track, not to mention Silkworms isn't exactly the cream of the crop so if it's still in contention there can't be much more), than Slash and Duff might not have much choice in picking out these tracks. If they want a new album to sell another major tour, they'll have to go with the songs Axl has recorded vocal tracks for, like them or not.

Yeah I'm leaning in this direction as well....

Axl not opposed to another album...but won't be doing heavy lifting....

So it's picking through the vault and putting together an album  using his vocals.

IF this is the case....I'm starting to wonder how many of those songs have vocals to work with.

The fact that Silkworms is in the running....not being the cream of the crop like you said....is a tad worrying.

It's going to really, REALLY suck if years ago he put off doing vocals at some point and never got around to finishing them.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Evidence that Silkworms changed already exists in two places. We have the live versions from 2001 and the studio mix from late 00 from the leaks two years ago.

After that we have the Bumblefoot demo, where the song has changed a fair bit and the chorus is just Axl saying Absurd over and over again. Probably not final but clearly the song was getting some serious rework. We don't know the timeframe that Ron demo is from but it's definitely from 06 onwards.

Then we have Axl in the forum chats in 08 saying the song had been completely reworked with new guitars, new chorus etc. Last we heard about it and it could have gone countless revisions from 08-15 before the reunion happened.

We know they've heavily reworked Hardschool - the track itself may date back to 95/96. It is possible that Slash and Duff have stripped the song back like they did with CD and Better and taken it to it's core, which is kind of just a fast punky rock song.

We know that Oh My God was an alt on the set list in 2018. We also know it was worked on by Bumblefoot at some point from 06 onwards, so clearly there was some intent to do something with it maybe for a CD II. It also dates to around 97 as Sorum and Duff were in the band when it first came about.

There's enough hints here and there to suggest the direction this is all taking and that potentially anything and everything is in play. I still go back to my theory I posted a few days ago that any new album (or albums) may include songs that were already on CD. And we get some mishmash of Axl's various grand visions for the band sound that he had through the 90s and 00s finally realised (at least in his head anyway)

One big blocker that can't be spoken about legally is wrangling over writing credits etc. Axl mentioned Tobias was the guy who kept tabs on writing credits etc.  and I remember reading a few years back him and Axl may not be on good terms these days. Potential problems?

... all of this still requires them to pull the trigger and go through with doing something. Fantasy booking/theories over.

Jokes and shitposting aside Silkworms being in contention is really strange, I can't imagine them rolling that song out with it sounding anything like it did before. As James said, they could be "retconning" a lot of new gnr history with these song reworkings and renamings.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:

There's this small clip, supposedly from GN'R's soundcheck, of a heavy riff (?):

https://streamable.com/hc4qgi

Edit: Or maybe it was just something played over the PA.

Haters Gonna Hate

Slash on the Universal Monsters Maze EP sounds like he could fit in nicely with Silkworms and Oh My God.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I've always thought that the guitar version of silkworms has promise. I can imagine that riff except played by slash with that dirty rock groove he has and rather than being techno coming out something more like "whole lotta love".

I know the old version is very non GNR, but under all that synth it's a rocker at heart. Angry Axl lyrics, strong bass vibe, let slash add a few Zep guitars and I've always thought silkworms could move from a hated song to the surprise rocker of the album.

davegnfnr2k

davegnfnr2k wrote:

the ron version of silkworms is trash
the HOB is the best version.  Silkworms is a great song musically. The weak link are the lyrics.

Slash will just butcher SW like he has ruined every Cd song he plays on and like he has ruined hard school.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Anyway, after all the shit talk about this show I watched some of it. There's more aggression and venom in this Chinese Democracy performance than Axl's put in in a long time:

Yeah that was good even though he sings it differently. The verses sound a tad awkward after hearing it millions of times like I have.

I love how no one gives a shit when the song kicks in but it gets a good crowd pop at the end.

It really is a bad ass song that got wasted when it was released.

I wouldn't be opposed to an updated version getting released at some point.

I just wish he'd sing Slither using the same voice he did for Chinese Democracy, there...

Board footer