You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: GNR Release 'Absurd' Single

tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Somewhere Axl is laughing his ass off.

Silkworms is their first single. Not Hard School.

Silkworms.

Yeah, this sounds like crap to me. Pretty much My World & Oh My God on steroids. Yuck. Even most of the material on Chinese Democracy has more of the classic GN'R sound than this new song. The title is pretty funny though. If you took the typical GN'R fan who is only familiar with Appetite, Lies, and Illusion albums, they would call this song ABSURD. 16

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Can y'all catch me up to speed? What is going on? I accidentally stumbled onto the YouTube video for this song just now. YouTube suggested it to me on the home page. I'm too lazy to read the thread, but I appreciate any insight y'all can provide. Thanks!

7/31/21 - Hershey PA
Guns N' Roses starts a new tour

8/3/21 - Boston
Gn'R played "Silkworms" renamed "Absurd" the next tour date

8/5/21 - MetLife NY/NJ
Gn'R plays "Absurd" again
Axl mentions "Absurd" will be available for download at midnight EDT

8/6/21 - Today
"Absurd" released
You are here

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Can y'all catch me up to speed? What is going on? I accidentally stumbled onto the YouTube video for this song just now. YouTube suggested it to me on the home page. I'm too lazy to read the thread, but I appreciate any insight y'all can provide. Thanks!

7/31/21 - Hershey PA
Guns N' Roses starts a new tour  - the first show is a trainwreck, Slash is sloppy, Axl sounds worse than ever

8/3/21 - Boston
Gn'R played "Silkworms" renamed "Absurd" the next tour date. Axl sounds very slightly improved.

8/5/21 - MetLife NY/NJ
Axl mentions "Absurd" will be available for download at midnight EDT. Axl sounds improved again

8/6/21 - Today
"Absurd" released
You are here

Added extra info. It is crazy that this week started with a disaster of a first show.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

7/31/21 - Hershey PA
Guns N' Roses starts a new tour  - the first show is a trainwreck, Slash is sloppy, Axl sounds worse than ever

8/3/21 - Boston
Gn'R played "Silkworms" renamed "Absurd" the next tour date. Axl sounds very slightly improved.

8/5/21 - MetLife NY/NJ
Axl mentions "Absurd" will be available for download at midnight EDT. Axl sounds improved again

8/6/21 - Today
"Absurd" released
You are here

Added extra info. It is crazy that this week started with a disaster of a first show.

I think the days of hoping for good performance from Axl are gone down the tubes. The only thing that could get him to really bring his A game back in 2016 was the fact he worships Angus Young and AC/DC. It's really a shame we didn't get the GN'R reunion in 2006.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
James wrote:

It really shows what a difference the big 3 being together makes.

Had this song been released in 2001-02 to coincide with a tour, they would have been crucified by everyone.... including hardcore nutswingers.

Even from those hating it now, they're getting the benefit of the doubt.

We're in for a dime....in for a dollar.

Edit

Imagine this coming out a few hours after the VMA performance.....

I think even people who hate the song have to admit the title is hilarious and the release of the song is ballsy. "Absurd." Yep, that's exactly the correct word to describe this song if you are only familiar with the classic GN'R sound. And unlike My World, this strange song is actually released as a single. Ballsy as hell. LMAO

FWIW: as of Friday afternoon, it's #12 overall on the iTunes Pop chart and #1 on the iTunes Rock chart.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

tejastech08 wrote:

I think the days of hoping for good performance from Axl are gone down the tubes. The only thing that could get him to really bring his A game back in 2016 was the fact he worships Angus Young and AC/DC. It's really a shame we didn't get the GN'R reunion in 2006.

This isn't directed to you, but more the idea that Axl is and will continue to be a shite singer.  The guy is 59 years old.  Saying he doesn't look or sound like he did at 28 is absolutely true, but it's like saying the sun will come up tomorrow - no shit.  We could go on and on about what he potentially could have done to be "better", but I question the accreditation of people here putting forth those arguments since I doubt we have very many vocal coaches or former world-class, rock band vocalist lurking.  And more to the point, it doesn't matter.  Reality is reality.  I'm not dissuading people from having those conversations; you do you. 

Live shows are for the people in attendance.  They're their own monster and entity, and live music fans not only expect deviation from studio material, they prefer it.  It kind of rubs me the wrong way that people who don't attend live shows feel they have adequate information to opine on a performance they just heard through an iphone video.  If that's your thing, go for it, free world and all that.  But there's something magical and unique about being in the venue and hearing the acoustics and reverb from the PA and the vibe of the audience.  The band is certainly cognizant and responsive to this reality. 

So Axl doesn't sound as good as he did then.  Ok.  What is the alternative?  He uses taped vocals like Beyonce or some other pop star?  Guns doesn't tour?  They replace Axl as singer?  I don't think it's selfish to want a good performance from the band you're shelling out coin to see.  But no forum member should be surprised at what Axl Rose sounds like in 2021.  He's not Vince Neil.  I enjoy the show he and the others put on, and I'm content with the exchange in currency for the live show they provided.  I thought I had a "good" performance in Hershey, despite it clearly being a "work the kinks out" show.  I'm sure the folks who were at Boston and East Rutherford feel the same way.  I can't find too many comments on Reddit or the forums from people present who feel they got fucked out of a "good" show.  I'm sure they exist and their opinion is just as valid as mine, yours or anyone else's. 

Anyway, I have to look at my scale and remember when it was 35 pounds lighter 20 years ago.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

This isn't directed to you, but more the idea that Axl is and will continue to be a shite singer.  The guy is 59 years old.  Saying he doesn't look or sound like he did at 28 is absolutely true, but it's like saying the sun will come up tomorrow - no shit.  We could go on and on about what he potentially could have done to be "better", but I question the accreditation of people here putting forth those arguments since I doubt we have very many vocal coaches or former world-class, rock band vocalist lurking.  And more to the point, it doesn't matter.  Reality is reality.  I'm not dissuading people from having those conversations; you do you. 

Live shows are for the people in attendance.  They're their own monster and entity, and live music fans not only expect deviation from studio material, they prefer it.  It kind of rubs me the wrong way that people who don't attend live shows feel they have adequate information to opine on a performance they just heard through an iphone video.  If that's your thing, go for it, free world and all that.  But there's something magical and unique about being in the venue and hearing the acoustics and reverb from the PA and the vibe of the audience.  The band is certainly cognizant and responsive to this reality. 

So Axl doesn't sound as good as he did then.  Ok.  What is the alternative?  He uses taped vocals like Beyonce or some other pop star?  Guns doesn't tour?  They replace Axl as singer?  I don't think it's selfish to want a good performance from the band you're shelling out coin to see.  But no forum member should be surprised at what Axl Rose sounds like in 2021.  He's not Vince Neil.  I enjoy the show he and the others put on, and I'm content with the exchange in currency for the live show they provided.  I thought I had a "good" performance in Hershey, despite it clearly being a "work the kinks out" show.  I'm sure the folks who were at Boston and East Rutherford feel the same way.  I can't find too many comments on Reddit or the forums from people present who feel they got fucked out of a "good" show.  I'm sure they exist and their opinion is just as valid as mine, yours or anyone else's. 

Anyway, I have to look at my scale and remember when it was 35 pounds lighter 20 years ago.

Actually, I am 100% in favor of Axl becoming a studio-only musician. He can still get the job done very well in the studio where you can do multiple takes and so forth. He has wasted so much of his prime that I hate to think he spends a huge chunk of each year on Tour singing 30+ year old songs...when he could be working in the studio to produce new material. The Beatles stopped touring and became a better studio band. I would not mind seeing this with Axl, especially since we will eventually get to a point where he won't be able to sing at all (not even in the studio).

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:

I was a little disappointed after watching the first live performance, but i have to say the studio version kicks major Ass! the bridge really seems a bit out of place as opposed to the village Version... anyways. Really impressive what difference slash and duff can make. The sound and mix in general is better than on CD if you ask me. And slash‘s guitar was sorely missed.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

You can definitely tell Slash & Duff did a great job on this Absurd track. I'm confident if you add those guys into Hard School, you have a big time winning song with the casual audience.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Actually, I am 100% in favor of Axl becoming a studio-only musician. He can still get the job done very well in the studio where you can do multiple takes and so forth. He has wasted so much of his prime that I hate to think he spends a huge chunk of each year on Tour singing 30+ year old songs...when he could be working in the studio to produce new material. The Beatles stopped touring and became a better studio band. I would not mind seeing this with Axl, especially since we will eventually get to a point where he won't be able to sing at all (not even in the studio).

agreed. i think they have enough touring already. 14

mOdPfIV.png

my fantasy is that after they give the label 1 last album, they use all the profits to start their own label and spend the next decade actually making music.

Board footer